Except for those living in the Savage Land, saber-tooth tigers became extinct during the Pleistocene period, the time during which the Earth experienced its last so-called Ice Ages.
It was in the Savage Land that Zabu was born. While Zabu was still a cub, his mother and siblings were killed by human natives of the Savage Land. Subsequently Zabu was adopted by a family of wolves, but he fled from them after he killed the eldest wolf cub in a struggle for supremacy. Afterwards Zabu wandered the Savage Land on his own, teaching himself how to survive as he grew to adulthood. A year after his birth Zabu first encountered the female who became his mate.
Maa-Gor, leader of a tribe of primitive Cavemen living in the Savage Land, had been leading his people in exterminating saber-tooth tigers, nearly rendering them extinct in the Savage Land. Maa-Gor and his men killed Zabu's mate. Enraged, Zabu tracked them down and found them about to attack the young boy Kevin Plunder, who had come to the Savage Land with his explorer father, Lord Robert Plunder. Maa-Gor and his men had just killed Kevin's father, and probably Maa-Gor would have then killed Kevin had not Zabu suddenly leapt on Maa-Gor from behind. Zabu scattered the tribesmen except for Maa-Gor, who, unseen by Zabu, was about to kill the tiger with his spear. But before Maa-Gor could do so, Kevin Plunder shot Maa-Gor in the shoulder with his father's gun.
Zabu realized that Kevin had saved his life, and the two became companions. They went to dwell in the Place of Mists, a region where Maa-Gor's tribe refused to set foot. There, Kevin grew to manhood, protected from all dangers by Zabu. It is said that Zabu did not age during the years he was exposed to the strange gases within the Place of Mists. Maa-Gor's people referred to Kevin as "Ka-Zar," which meant "son of the tiger."
Zabu remained Ka-Zar's companion when Ka-Zar became an adult. After Ka-Zar again made contact with people from outside the Savage Land, he often brought Zabu with him on his journeys to the outside world. Zabu also accompanied him to the home dimension of the Sheenarians.
Along with Ka-Zar and his wife Shanna O'Hara Plunder, Zabu escaped the destruction of the Savage Land at the hands of the alien Terminus. They later returned after the High Evolutionary restored the Land.
- Smilodon Physiology: Zabu is a Smilodon and has all the natural abilities associated with that species.
- Heightened Sense of Smell
- Remarkable Hearing
- Razor Sharp Claws & Teeth
- Two Sabre-Teeth
- Near-Human Intelligence: due to mutations caused by "Land of Mists".
Large fangs and sharp claws on all four paws.
- The nickname "saber-tooth" refers to the extreme length of their canines. Despite the colloquial name "saber-toothed tiger", Smilodon is not closely related to the tiger.
- Zabu is the last known saber-tooth tiger in existence.
- 228 Appearances of Zabu (Earth-616)
- Media Zabu (Earth-616) was Mentioned in
- 39 Images featuring Zabu (Earth-616)
- Quotations by or about Zabu (Earth-616)
- Character Gallery: Zabu (Earth-616)
- Marvel Directory
Discover and Discuss
- Search this site for:
|Like this? Let us know!|