Savage Land (an artificial preserve for prehistoric wildlife), Antarctica, he is the companion of Ka-Zar.
It was in the Savage Land that Zabu was born. While Zabu was still a cub, his mother and siblings were killed by the Man-Apes, human natives of the Savage Land.[verification needed]
Subsequently, Zabu was found by the wolf Zagah, who brought him as food for his mate Thana, but she adopted him instead, letting him grew among her cubs Fheta (who admired Zabu) and Jhet (the eldest,[verification needed] who grew to resent Zabu and hate Fheta for admiring him).
Maa-Gor, leader of a tribe of primitive Cavemen living in the Savage Land, had been leading his people in exterminating saber-tooth tigers, nearly rendering them extinct in the Savage Land. Maa-Gor and his men killed Zabu's mate. Enraged, Zabu tracked them down and found them about to attack the young boy Kevin Plunder, who had come to the Savage Land with his explorer father, Lord Robert Plunder. Maa-Gor and his men had just killed Kevin's father, and probably Maa-Gor would have then killed Kevin had not Zabu suddenly leapt on Maa-Gor from behind. Zabu scattered the tribesmen except for Maa-Gor, who, unseen by Zabu, was about to kill the tiger with his spear. But before Maa-Gor could do so, Kevin Plunder shot Maa-Gor in the shoulder with his father's gun.
Zabu realized that Kevin had saved his life, and the two became companions. They went to dwell in the Place of Mists, a region where Maa-Gor's tribe refused to set foot. There, Kevin grew to manhood, protected from all dangers by Zabu. Maa-Gor's people referred to Kevin as "Ka-Zar," which meant "son of the tiger."
Zabu remained Ka-Zar's companion when Ka-Zar became an adult, the strange gases within the Place of Mists retarding Zabu's aging, having him still in the prime of his life by the time Ka-Zar was an adult.. After Ka-Zar again made contact with people from outside the Savage Land, he often brought Zabu with him on his journeys to the outside world. Zabu also accompanied him to the home dimension of the Sheenarians.
Along with Ka-Zar and his wife Shanna O'Hara Plunder, Zabu escaped the destruction of the Savage Land at the hands of the alien Terminus. They later returned after the High Evolutionary restored the Land.
|Power Grid |
- Smilodon Physiology: Zabu is a Smilodon and has all the natural abilities associated with that species.
- Heightened Sense of Smell
- Remarkable Hearing
- Razor Sharp Claws & Teeth
- Two Sabre-Teeth
Due to the unusual gases from the Place of Mists:
Large fangs and sharp claws on all four paws.
- 228 Appearances of Zabu (Earth-616)
- 7 Minor Appearances of Zabu (Earth-616)
- Media Zabu (Earth-616) was Mentioned in
- 68 Images featuring Zabu (Earth-616)
- Quotations by or about Zabu (Earth-616)
- Character Gallery: Zabu (Earth-616)
- Marvel Directory
Discover and Discuss
- Search this site for:
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 1.2 1.3 1.4 1.5 1.6 1.7 Marvel Pets Handbook #1
- ↑ Spider-Man Family Vol 2 #7
- ↑ 3.0 3.1 3.2 3.3 3.4 Ka-Zar the Savage #11-12
- ↑ Ka-Zar the Savage #14-15
- ↑ X-Men #10
- ↑ Ka-Zar Vol 2 #4
- ↑ Ka-Zar Vol 2 #16-19
- ↑ Avengers #257-258
- ↑ Uncanny X-Men Annual #1988
- ↑ Marvel Pets Handbook #1
- ↑ Official Handbook of the Marvel Universe A-Z hardcover Vol. 13
|Like this? Let us know!|