- Listen to me! The volcano flooded the entire complex with molten lava. Your power got you and me out -- but that's all. There's no way anyone else could have survived! Scott and the X-Men are dead, Jean. They're dead.
Appearing in "Desolation"Edit
- Fall People
- Corsair (Vision)
- Kate Summers (Vision)
- Alex Summers (Vision)
- Sammy (First appearance) & Commander Collins (First appearance) (US Navy helicopter pilots)
- Savage Land natives
- Various pterosaurs
Synopsis for "Desolation"Edit
Continued from last issue..
Following their battle with Magneto, Phoenix and Beast are seemingly the only survivors after Magneto's Antarctic base was destroyed in a violent volcanic explosion. Carrying the unconscious Jean across the frozen wasteland, the Beast struggles to not succumb to the elements when he spots a scientific research helicopter and tries to hail it. Jean awakens and immediately begins digging for Scott. Beast gets her to stop, telling her that Cyclops and the other X-Men are dead. However, Jean's Phoenix effect has alerted the helicopter of their presence and they rescue the two.
Beast is wrong, however. The other X-Men are still alive, having tunneled through bedrock to escape from the exploding base, they blast their way free and find themselves in the Savage Land. Free from the confines of the cave, Storm shakes off her claustrophobia and flies off into the air with Banshee tailing after her to get her to come back. Both are attacked by a pterodactyl, prompting Wolverine to have Colossus do a Fastball Special. Wolverine hacks the prehistoric creature to death with his Adamantium claws. Scouting around, Banshee finds a village and the group begins to head there. They are unaware they are being watched by Dr. Karl Lykos, who despite the change in costume recognizes Cyclops as one of the X-Men.
A week later, Jean and Hank return to the X-Mansion where Jean has the unfortunate task of telling Professor Xavier that the other X-Men are dead. During this week, the surviving X-Men have come to be welcome guests of the Fall People, and have been spending their time recovering from the battle with Magneto. Cyclops, thinking that Jean and Hank are dead spends time by himself shaving his face down near a pond. Looking at his reflection in the water, he notices his striking resemblance to the Starjammer known as Corsair. This triggers a flood of half-buried memories of himself and Alex being pushed out of an airplane while Corsair and an unidentified woman look on. However, the flashback is interrupted by the arrival of Storm. When Scott talks about losing Jean, he admits that he feels no loss over her seeming demise. Storm counters that his feeling are confused by the dichotomy between who Jean truly was and whom Scott thought she still was, the teenage girl he fell in love with. While Colossus takes up the hospitality of the native women, Wolverine vows to avenge Jean's supposed death.
Storm decides to take some time having a relaxing swim, and as she rests in the sun she does not notice Karl Lykos approaching her. Lykos absorbs some of her mutant life energies, however he takes too much, causing his transformation into Sauron once more. Hearing Storm scream and seeing a lightning flash, the other X-Men change into their costumes and rush to her side to find Sauron with her pledging to kill her and the rest of the X-Men.
This story is continued next issue...
- Storm's interruption of Cyclops' flashback involving Corsair is ironic, given that she knows Corsair is his father, but does not reveal this until X-Men #154.
- This issue is reprinted in many other comics and books, see references for more info.
- This is the first issue to use "The Uncanny X-Men" on the cover. The name of the comic will not be officially changed until Uncanny X-Men #142.
Links and ReferencesEdit
- Uncanny X-Men series index at UncannyX-Men.Net
- The Unofficial Handbook of Marvel Comics Creators - accessed on 05/17/2009
- The Official Marvel Index to the X-Men #6 - See for further referencing
- The Official Marvel Index to the X-Men Vol 2 #2 - See for further referencing
- ↑ Name revealed in the next issue
- ↑ First and only known appearance to date besides flashbacks
- ↑ last name revealed in Marvel Fanfare #1.
- ↑ This story is reprinted in the following comics/TPB's:
|Like this? Let us know!|