- Don't want to stay here. Want to run.. to hunt... to kill...
- -- Werewolf
Appearing in "The Mystery of the Mad Monk!"Edit
Races and Species:
- Earth (Main story and flashback)
- United States of America (Main story and flashback)
Synopsis for "The Mystery of the Mad Monk!"Edit
Father Ramon Joquez peruses the mystic tome known as the Darkhold. Suddenly, a grey mist begins pouring from the pages, infecting him. He telephones Jack Russell in a panic, but the mist consumes him.
Jack hops into his car and begins racing towards the rectory in Tugunga Canyon. As he’s driving, the full moon rises and Jack transforms into the Werewolf. He leaps from the vehicle, sending the car careening off the edge of a cliff.
Back at the Russell estate, Lissa overhears her father on the telephone. He confesses to his part in a conspiracy to murder his late wife, Laura. Lissa runs out of the house and races towards Buck's place.
As the evening grows, the Werewolf instinctively makes his way towards Father Joquez' rectory. When he arrives, he finds that Father Joquez' body has been taken over by the spirit of a 12th century monk named Aelfric. Aelfric reveals that in the year 1179 he took possession of the scrolls of Chthon – scrolls that would one day become better known as the Darkhold. Fully aware of the curse that has plagued the Russell family, Aelfric seeks to take control of the Werewolf.
Using his magic, Aelfric secures the Werewolf to the wall of the rectory, while simultaneously releasing a plague known as the Grey Death upon the land. The Werewolf breaks free, and Aelfric summons a bull-headed servant named Dragonus to combat him. Dragonus charges at the werewolf, but Jack ducks out of the way. The monster's body plunges into Aelfric, goring him with his horns. Aelfric's soul is released, but Father Joquez dies from the injuries.
- This issue was reprinted in Essential Werewolf by Night, Volume 1.
- The origin of Aelfric, the Mad Monk is revealed in this issue. Flashback sequences take place in the year 1179.
- Aelfric, the Mad Monk and Dragonus also appear in flashback in the second story in Doctor Strange, Sorcerer Supreme #12.
- Philip Russell appeared last in Werewolf by Night #1.
- Gregory Russoff appears in a flashback which takes place after the flashback featured in Werewolf by Night #2.
- Although Buck Cowan is mentioned several times throughout this issue, he does not actually make an appearance.
First Appearances: Aelfric (the Mad Monk); Ernie (a police officer); Dragonus (Aelfric's creation)
Final Appearances: Aelfric (dies in this issue); Ernie (dies in this issue); Father Ramon Joquez (dies in this issue)
- No trivia.
- Werewolf by Night (Volume 1) #1-43
- Werewolf by Night (Volume 2) #1-6
- Giant-Size Werewolf #1-4
- Marvel Spotlight #2-4
- Moon Knight (Volume 1) #29-30
- Spider-Woman (Volume 1) #6, 48-50
Links and ReferencesEdit
- Werewolf by Night series article at Wikipedia
- Werewolf by Night series review at Photon Torpedoes
- Werewolf by Night series index at the Grand Comics Database
- Werewolf article at the Marvel Universe
- Werewolf by Night article at the Marvel Appendix
- ↑ First and only known appearance to date besides flashbacks
|Like this? Let us know!|