- It was my destiny to guide sentient life, but that means nothing now. In truth, I grow...ever more weary. Soon I will not have strength enough to...keep this...encumbrance...at bay. The moment to come, not even I will not survive. I, who was meant for such grant designs, will perish with the rest. That...that is the finality which we now face.
In the beginning of time, alien sorcerer X'Hoss foretold the creation of the Designate, who would help evolve sentient beings to the next level of existence. Billions of years later, Tarene was born. She was told about the fate of the evil Destroyer and together with others sought a way to stop him. In the meantime, Thanos obtained X'Hoss' knowledge and destroyed Tarene's home-world. She gained the help of Thor and Orikal in defeating the villain.
Tarene later transformed herself into an Asgardian goddess and becomes Thor's loyal ally, taking the name "Thor Girl" and the civilian identity of Jake Olson's 'cousin' Tara. She tried to assist Thor in his adventures, aiding him in his confrontations with Gladiator, Loki and Nullitor, but in a later battle against a revived Surtur she sacrificed nearly all of her cosmic powers to contribute the additional power needed to defeat him. Upon Odin's apparent death, Thor Girl lost most of her cosmic powers. She retained the powers she had as Thor Girl.
She returned to Earth in an attempt to live a normal life as Tara Olson, but also occasionally continued adventuring. She knew that she was destined to, and one day would, regain her full power and then some, to become The Designate.
Civil War/The Initiative
After the Superhuman Registration Act was passed, Thor Girl interfered in a jewel theft undertaken by the Grey Gargoyle, a previous foe of hers, and pummelled the villain, preventing the jewel heist in the process. In return the Grey Gargoyle undertook a law suit with the assistance of Mallory Book at the Superhuman Law Offices of Goodman, Lieber, Kurtzberg and Holliway.
When Manhattan was attacked by the Hulk, the Initiative recruits were sent as crowd control in, with Thor Girl aiding mass evacuation. Thor Girl was among the trainees who sided with Rage when he broke ranks to help the Avengers in battle against the Hulk and his Warbound. Easily defeated, Thor Girl and the others were imprisoned at Madison Square Garden and controlled by obedience disks. The Initiative's black ops team, including the empathic metamorph Trauma, were sent in to free Thor Girl and her compatriots. Trauma assumed the form and powers of Thor as he battled the Warbound, leaving Thor Girl awestruck by the encounter.
Following Trauma's assumption of Thor's form, Thor Girl expressed a kind of hero worship of and became enamoured with him. However both Tarene and Trauma were brutally attacked by the MVP clone calling himself KIA (Killed In Action). Tarene was stricken heavily while protecting Trauma, who was then stabbed in the chest by KIA.
At some point Thor Girl was replaced by a Skrull agent. During the Skrull invasion, the Skrull Dum Dum Dugan called all the sleeper agents in the Initiative, causing Ultragirl and Thor Girl to fight each other out of fear. When the Skrull Kill Krew arrived to the scene, 3-D Man confirmed that Thor Girl was a Skrull, killing her with her own hammer with the help of Gravity.After the invasion was over, the real Thor Girl attended a support group meeting with the others who had been replaced by Skrulls. She attended a therapy session with Trauma, when Camp Hammond was attacked by the Thor clone, Ragnarok. The clone beat Thor Girl badly, until Gauntlet intervened.
Due to looking like an Asgardianan wielding a hammer, Tarene was believed to be part of the attack of The Worthy. She was arrested by the U. S. government and tortured for information. She was eventually rescued by Cloud 9 and joined the battle against Kuurth in Las Vegas and rescued civilians. Due to a misunderstanding she was attacked by other heroes despite her attempts to explain herself or she was only acting in defense. 'during the battle, Her Designate powers returned. She declared Earth's heroes to be little better than those who tortured her and as a whole proof that humanity is still too flawed to be worthy of ascending. She left Earth for the stars.
Tarene possesses god-like speed, reflexes, strength, and durability. She is effectively immortal and is immune to disease and hostile environments. Still, her powers are considerably less than before the battle with Surtur.
As the Designate, she possesses vast cosmic powers rivaling Odin.
Has great skills in hand-to-hand combat
- Allspeak: Thanks to the Allspeak she can communicate in all of the languages of the Nine Realms, Earth's dialects, and various alien languages.
Tarene can lift (press) approximately 75 tons under optimal conditions.
- Tarene's Hammer: Like Mjolnir, Tarene's un-named one returns to her when thrown, controls the weather, fires energy blasts, and (when thrown properly) draws her behind it as if flying. By striking the ground with the hammer, Tarene can shift between her human and Asgardian forms.
- In Thor #398, while battling the Destroyer, Thor was transformed back into Jake Olson, and was able to regain his Asgardian powers, with the help of the Enchantress, by grasping Thor Girl's un-named hammer.
- In an possible future where Thor ruled Earth, Tarene regained her full cosmic powers to aid Desak in an attempt to defeat Thor. Thor killed Desak, but Tarene helped a now-enlightened Thor travel back in time to prevent the bleak reality he created.
- 38 Appearances of Tarene (Earth-616)
- Media Tarene (Earth-616) was Mentioned in
- 18 Images featuring Tarene (Earth-616)
- 4 Quotations by or about Tarene (Earth-616)
- Character Gallery: Tarene (Earth-616)
- Fan-Art Gallery: Tarene (Earth-616)
- Thor Girl
Discover and Discuss
- Search this site for:
|Like this? Let us know!|