- Hi, Smokey Boy!
- -- Spider-Man
Appearing in "The Torch Goes Wild!"Edit
- Rabble Rouser (First appearance)
- Doris Evans
- Prince Nagamo
- New York policemen
- Mayor of New York
- Mr. Fantastic (Only in flashback)
- Invisible Girl (Only in flashback)
- Thing (Only in flashback)
Synopsis for "The Torch Goes Wild!"Edit
Mad that his girlfriend Doris is dating another man, being left behind from a FF vacation due to school, and his continued rivalry with Spider-Man has left the Torch in a foul mood. However, the Torch soon finds himself preoccupied when the being known as the Rabble Rouser has convinced city hall to pass ordinances that prevent the Human Torch from using his flame powers. It turns out that the Rabble Rouser has a mechanical wand provided to him by his Soviet employers to create discent in the States during the visit of a foreign prince.
When the prince is part of a parade, he is captured by the Rabble Rouser, prompting the Torch to go after him. After a quick battle the Torch grabs the Rouser's wand and uses it to convince him to become a model American before destroying it with his flame powers. Afterwards, Johnny is visited by Doris who tells him that she only dated another man to make him jealous.
Appearing in "Beyond the Purple Veil!"Edit
- Aggamon (First appearance)
- Petty thieves
- New York Policemen
- Mormammu (Mentioned)
- Dormammu (Mentioned)
- Hoggoth (Mentioned)
- Vishanti (Mentioned)
- United States Of America
- Purple Dimension (First appearance)
- Aggamon's jeweled demolisher beam
- Amulet of Agamotto
Synopsis for "Beyond the Purple Veil!"Edit
Dr. Strange is up late at night studying a sinister gem when he discovers two common burglars breaking into his house. He sends them through the wall and leave them without calling the police. This encourages the thieves to return next evening after Strange has dismissed Wong and retreated to his study. They steal the strange gem and escapes. Dr. Strange quickly senses that something is wrong. The gem has transported the unsuspecting thieves to the Purple Dimension. Dr, Strange enters the Purple Dimension himself and is brought before its ruler, Aggamon the All-Powerful. Aggamon shows how his subjects are slaving in the mines digging for gems and then offers to release his captives if Dr. Strange takes their place. He accept, but breaks free of his shackles as soon as the two thieves have been returned. Aggamon attacks with his jeweled demolisher beam and Strange counters with his magic amulet. The contest lasts for hours and both grows weaker. At last the cowardly Aggamon gives up and surrenders. With his amulet Strange weakens Aggamon's powers and makes it so that only by releasing his captives may Aggamon regain his strength. Dr. Strange returns to his house where he learns that the two crooks have given themselves up and promised to live straight from now on.
The Torch Goes Wild!
- One of the people against the Human Torch mentions how the Torch and Spider-Man are "always feuding". The pair have had a rocky relationship since Strange Tales Annual #2.
- Spider-Man mentions his familiarity with being panned by the press. Spider-Man has been the constant target of editorials written by Daily Bugle owner J. Jonah Jameson since Amazing Spider-Man #1
- All the Cold War themes in this story should be considered topical references per the Sliding Timescale of Earth-616. Particularly references to the late Fidel Castro.
Beyond the Purple Veil!
- Doctor Strange is wearing the Amulet of Agamotto here. It should not be confused with the Eye of Agamotto which Strange was not gifted with until Strange Tales #126.
- Doctor Strange's assistant Wong isn't mentioned by name here. His name is not revealed until Strange Tales #147.
- Dr. Strange story is reprinted in Doctor Strange Master of the Mystic Arts (Pocket Books) and Doctor Strange Master of the Mystic Arts (Fireside).
- This issue's first story, "The Human Torch Goes Wild!", is Story # X-605 (as seen on page one).
This is the first time Wong is actually called by name.
Links and ReferencesEdit
|Like this? Let us know!|