- Where mankind is menaced by magic... there must Dr. Strange go to combat it!
Appearing in "The Man Who Became the Torch!"Edit
Synopsis for "The Man Who Became the Torch!"Edit
While the Torch is putting on a demonstration for the public, his old nemesis the Wizard escapes from prison using an anti-gravity disc of his own design. Using his new invention to commit crimes, he then later tricks the Torch into expending his flame powers by posing as a producer of a charity television program. Knocking out the temporarily powerless Torch, the Wizard disguises himself as the Torch and takes his place within the Fantastic Four in an attempt to conquer the group. His first act is to knock out the Invisible Girl and take her prisoner as well. However, the Torch is able to send out a flame signal to the other members of the Fantastic Four who free him.
Tracking down the Wizard, the Torch tries to attack him again, however the Wizard tries to make his escape with his gravity disc to get away. Riding into the sky, the Wizard realizes too late that his disc has malfunctioned and he cannot shut it off, he then floats off into the upper atmosphere too fast for the Torch to catch.
Appearing in "The Possessed!"Edit
Synopsis for "The Possessed!"Edit
Doctor Strange spots supernatural forces at work in the Bavarian Alps. He travels to a valley there where he discovers that many villagers have become possessed, walking around in trance. He attempts to probe the mind of one the possessed, but the possessing spirit flees before Strange can find him. Passing through a magical entrance the fleeing spirit tells his master of the newcomer. The leader orders the spirit to take possession of Doctor Strange. Strange foils the possession attempt and by probing the spirit he discovers they are beings from another dimension attempting to take control of the Earth. The possessed mayor arouses villagers against Doctor Strange, but the rabble is easily thrown back by Strange's magical might. Doctor Strange finds the hiding place of the invaders, defeats their leader in a battle of wills and force the possessors to leave and never come back.
The Man Who Became the Torch!
- The editors note states that the last time that the Torch and the Wizard fought was Strange Tales #110. However, the last time they met was Untold Tales of Spider-Man #6. While published years later, Untold Tales of Spider-Man #6 takes place between the events of Strange Tales #110 and this issue.
- Although seemingly floating to his death, the Wizard is rescued by Paste-Pot Pete and the Sandman in Fantastic Four #36.
- Although seen for the first time here the Orb of Agamotto is not named until Doctor Strange #171.
- Doctor Strange is wearing the Amulet of Agamotto, it should not be confused with the Eye of Agamotto which Strange is not gifted with until Strange Tales #128.
- Cover art: main art by Kirby and Stone, Dr. Strange art at bottom by Ditko
- Dr. Strange story is reprinted in Doctor Strange Master of the Mystic Arts (Pocket Books).
- The Wizard appears next in Fantastic Four #36 where it is revealed how he survived his fate at the end of this issue.
- No trivia.
Links and ReferencesEdit
- ↑ First and only known appearance to date besides flashbacks
|Like this? Let us know!|