Appearing in "The Coming of the Plantman!"Edit
- Doris Evans (First appearance)
- Plantman (First appearance)
- Mr. Evans (First appearance)
- New York City citizens and officials
- The Mayor of New York City (First appearance)
- Plantman's Ray Gun
Synopsis for "The Coming of the Plantman!"Edit
Late again for one of his dates with Doris Evans, Johnny arrives to be witness to Dorry's father firing his gardener for wasting his time on a device that stimulates plants growing. Vengeful, and after his device is struck by lightning giving it the ability to make him control plants totally, the gardener becomes the criminal known as Plantman. As Plantman, Smithers tries to frame Dorry's father with robbing the store in which he works, and planting evidence pointing blame to Mr. Evans. Johnny vows to clear Mr. Evans' name, and ends up battling with the Plantman.
The two are at a match until the Torch begins to gain the lead, the Plantman then escapes by hiding in a tree, planning to strike again with a more devious plan. Afterwards, Doris thanks Johnny for clearing her fathers name.
Appearing in "The Search of Shanng"Edit
Supporting Characters: Villains: Other Characters:
- Shanng's ship
- Supersonic jet
Synopsis for "The Search of Shanng"Edit
- Synopsis not yet written.
Appearing in "The Shoemaker's Strange Assistant"Edit
- Uncle Hugo
- Honest Harry Hook
- Shoe repair shop
Synopsis for "The Shoemaker's Strange Assistant"Edit
A shoemaker who enjoys telling the neighborhood children stories of the little people who come out at night to help him make shoes becomes ill and goes to a loan shark to acquire money for medical treatment. The loan shark harasses him constantly to make interest payments on his loan so he must work night and day. The last time the greedy money lender visits the shoemaker he gets the shock of his life as it turns out it wasn't a tall tale about those little people and they shrink the man and put him to work building shoes for the shoemaker.
Appearing in "New Glasses!"Edit
- Appearances not yet listed
Synopsis for "New Glasses!"Edit
- Synopsis not yet written.
The Coming of the Plant Man!
- This is the first appearance of Johnny's first girlfriend Doris Evans. The pair date from Strange Tales #113-133. Doris later broke up with Johnny in Fantastic Four #45 after she got tired of his super-hero lifestyle.
- The Planet Man's origins are expanded upon in Namor the Sub-Mariner #24, which explains that Smither's plant growing device was empowered by the extradimensional plant creatures known as the H'ylthri.
- The depiction of Robert F. Wagner, Jr. as the mayor of New York City should be considered a topical reference per the Sliding Timescale of Earth-616.
- This issue is reprinted in other comics and books, see references for more info.
- No trivia.
Links and ReferencesEdit
Review of "The Coming of the Plantman" http://extremisreviews.com/2013/12/07/environmentalism-and-plantman-how-stan-lee-used-the-human-torch-to-piss-off-flower-power/
|Like this? Let us know!|