Appearing in "The Human Torch Vs. the Wizard and Paste-Pot Pete!"Edit
- Human Torch (Johnny Storm) (Impersonates Cyrus Cartwright)
Synopsis for "The Human Torch Vs. the Wizard and Paste-Pot Pete!"Edit
After a training session the Human Torch goes over his scrap book of past adventures, and recalls his previous battles against the Wizard and Paste Pot Pete, wondering what his old foes are up to today. Coincidentally enough, at that very moment Paste Pot Pete is busy breaking the Wizard out of prison so that the two may conspire on how to defeat their mutual foe.
Using the Wizard's suit that mimics the Human Torch's powers, the two begin to commit crimes that would cause the press to accuse the Human Torch of being a spy. However, when the Torch sets a trap to lure the two crooks to try and rob one of the world's richest men, the Torch himself gets captured and placed into a giant hall of mirrors by his foes. The Torch however uses his flame powers to break free and manages to capture the two crooks and turn them over to the police.
Appearing in "We Search the Stars!"Edit
- Sir Edward Ramsay
- Other scientists
- Ramsay's crew
- Another human-like species from Solar Sector X3B
- Solar Sector X3B
- Unnamed spaceship
Synopsis for "We Search the Stars!"Edit
- Synopsis not yet written.
Appearing in "Dr. Strange Master of Black Magic!"Edit
- Doctor Strange (Stephen Strange) (First appearance)
- The Ancient One (Yao) (Identified only as "The Master")
- Unnamed customer (First appearance)
- Nightmare (First appearance)
Races and Species:
- Dimension of Dreams (First appearance)
- Amulet of Agamotto (First appearance) (Unnamed)
Synopsis for "Dr. Strange Master of Black Magic!"Edit
A man tormented by nightmares comes to Doctor Strange to seek aid. Dr. Strange promises to help. He travels in spirit form to his old master who lives in a remote mountain temple in Asia. The master tells Strange to depend on his magic amulet if danger threatens. Back in his mortal form Strange visits the man he has promised to help. When the man falls asleep Dr. Strange enters his dream in spiritual form. Inside the dream, Strange is met by a figure bound in chains who presents himself as Mr. Crang. Then another form appears, Nightmare, Strange's ancient foe. Meanwhile the dreaming man awakes. He realizes the dreams are caused by all the men he has ruined. He grabs a gun to shoot Dr. Strange who is kept from reuniting with his mortal form by Nightmare. Dr. Strange uses his amulet to call upon his master who places a hypnotic spell on the man. Dr. Strange slips out of the dream dimension to grab the gun before removing the hypnotic spell. The man confesses his crimes.
The Human Torch vs. The Wizard and Paste-Pot Pete!
- Johnny recalls his past battles with the Wizard in Strange Tales #102 and 105 as well as his battle against Paste-Pot Pete in Strange Tales #104.
Dr. Strange Master of Black Magic!
- Although this is his first appearance, Doctor Strange's origins are not told for the first time until Strange Tales #115.
- Although appearing here for the first time, Wong is not mentioned by name until Strange Tales #119.
- Referred to here as the "Master", the Ancient One is not called by his well-known moniker until Strange Tales #115.
- In this story Doctor Strange is wearing the Amulet of Agamotto, which should not be confused with the Eye of Agamotto which is gifted to Doctor Strange in Strange Tales #128.
- This issue is reprinted in other comics and books, see references for more info.
- Nightmare is established in this story as a previously encountered foe of Dr. Strange's but the story of their first meeting has never been told.
Links and ReferencesEdit
- ↑ The first story is reprinted in the following comics/TPB's:
- Origins of Marvel Comics
- Doctor Strange Master of the Mystic Arts
- Marvel Collectors' Item Classics Vol 1 3
- Marvel Tales Vol 2 134
- Marvel Masterworks: Dr Strange Vol 1
- Essential Series Vol 1 Doctor Strange 1
- Marvel Milestone Edition: Doctor Strange
- Marvel's Mightiest Heroes: Doctor Strange
- Fantastic Firsts Vol 1 1
|Like this? Let us know!|