OriginStormbreaker came into creation following the fight between Thor and Beta Ray Bill at Skartheim. After the battle, Bill began to feel guilt over his victory, now feeling that Mjolnir was Thor's by right. In a compromise -as Bill fairly won the battle-, Odin had the Dwarves of Nidavellir create a new hammer made for the cyborg Korbonite warrior, crafted from the same Uru metal as Mjolnir. With the assistance of Eitri and other dwarf blacksmiths, they forged Stormbreaker.
Following a battle against Surtur's demon army, Odin then bestowed upon it another enchantment: by striking the hammer down on the ground, Bill was able to return to his true, mortal Korbinite self. This in turn took away the '60 second rule' from Mjolnir, though it is never made quite clear if Stormbreaker has the same rule as well.
For a brief period of time, Stormbreaker and Bill became endowed with cosmic powers, given to them by the Silver Surfer, as a means to save Bill's life. This physically changed the hammer's appearance to that of an axe-like weapon with a hole in the center. Under unknown circumstances, both Bill and Stormbreaker returned to their normal, Odinpowered appearances a short time later.
When Beta Ray Bill was captured by the Skrulls, they separated Stormbreaker into two, axe-like halves as weapon for the Super-Skrull that was sent to kill the gods of Asgard. How the Skrulls were able to circumvent the worthiness is still a mystery, but the Skrull was able to reforge the halves back into one whole weapon, hurling it towards the town of Broxton in an attempt to destroy it. After catching the hammer mere moments before it could hit the town, Thor returned Stormbreaker to its rightful owner once again.
- Worthiness: There is no proof, but it is believed that, just like the original Mjolnir, no one can lift Stormbreaker who is not worthy. This is shown when, during the first gathering of the Thor Corps, Eric Masterson as "Thor 2" was able to grab and use Stormbreaker in a fight against Loki.
- Power of Recall: When Bill throws the hammer, it returns to his hand with irresistible force. In the same way, he can summon it to himself even if it has not been thrown.
- Transformation: By stamping Stormbreaker Beta Ray Bill can revert to his mortal human form, Simon Walters, dressed in whichever clothes he last wore in that form. Then, by stamping his fist, Bill turns back into his superhuman form, and he has the hammer.
- Force Projection: Being a hammer, Stormbreaker can be used as a blunt force melee weapon or as a throwing weapon. It appears that Stormbreaker has the same attributes as Mjolnir, and it can absorb, magnify, and return almost any type of force. By itself, the hammer can create ground tremors, when struck against the ground, or whirlwinds, when swung around.
- Flight: By throwing Stormbreaker and gripping its strap, Beta Ray Bill can fly.
- Energy Projection: He can also use it to project powerful concussive blasts of mystical energy. It magically enables the Bill to survive the adverse conditions of outer space, including its lack of oxygen.
- Portal Creation: When swung at a particular pitch the hammer can open a portal to any desired dimension (such as Asgard).
- Energy Sensing: The hammer can detect most types of energy. It reacts particularly strongly to evil psychic energy.
Alternate Reality Versions
|On Earth-TRN562, Iron Man helped the Dwarves of Nidavellir craft Stormbreaker.||Marvel Avengers Academy|
- No special notes.
The hammer changed the way it looked for a short time, along with Bill, when they temporarily gained Cosmic powers.
- 132 Appearances of Stormbreaker
- 3 Minor Appearances of Stormbreaker
- 2 Media Stormbreaker was Mentioned in
- 65 Images featuring Stormbreaker
- Item Gallery: Stormbreaker
Links and References