Spyder's origin is unknown, and no other representatives of his species have been seen. It is believed that Spyder captured Lila Cheney on Earth to sell her as a slave. However, he later extinguished the right to redeem a mortgage to the buyers so that they went broke, and Spyder got a profit.
He tried then to double his profit by recapturing Cheney, a teleporter, and using her as a cheap intergalactic transport. Spyder's mercenaries captured Cheney during one of her rock concerts (Cheney was also a rock star), and then Spyder returned to his native planet with her. Spyder also used alien Gosamyr as a bait so that Cheney's allies, the New Mutants could track him. Spyder then captured the New Mutants, but Gossamyr freed them.
During the following fight, three males of Gossamyr's species were freed from hibernation and threatened to destroy Spyder's planet. Apparently, Cheney sacrificed her life by teleporting with them to a nearby star. The New Mutants then prepared to fight Spyder, but one of the New Mutants, Magik was losing her powers and teleported them to Earth before it was too late.
At one point later in time, Spyder was sent to a secret deep-space torture prison. Spyder reached an agreement with the jailer, providing him services in exchange of certain privileges. One of Spyder's roles consisted in tormenting his fellow prisoners.
When the Inhuman king Black Bolt and the Absorbing Man staged a prison breakout, Spyder was confronted and forced to reveal where the other prisoners were. When he got the chance, Spyder activated security drones to distract the prisoners while he escaped. Black Bolt's loyal dog Lockjaw got in Spyder's way, and Spyder badly hurt him. In anger, Black Bolt struck Spyder with an energy strike, killing him.
- Emotional Control: Apparently, Spyder's species cannot feel any emotion per se. However, Spyder collects "bottled emotions" that he uses whenever he thinks there is a need to feel an emotion.
- Multiple Limbs: Spyder has shown four limbs that be can used at once.
- Web: It is unclear if Spyder can generate his web naturally or if it is an artificial construct.
Spyder has shown a great skill for business, although he is unfamiliar with business practices on Earth. It has been hypothesized that he would consider them to be childish.
- Flight platform: On combat situations, Spyder rides a platform which, although slow, provides a deflection sphere to protect anyone on it.
- Spaceship: Spyder uses a big spaceship (500 tons of storage and shields) to fly through hyperspace. He is said to have some small shuttles and freighters.
Spyder is prone to use mercenaries instead of fighting himself.
- 11 Appearances of Spyder (Earth-616)
- 1 Minor Appearances of Spyder (Earth-616)
- Media Spyder (Earth-616) was Mentioned in
- 3 Images featuring Spyder (Earth-616)
- Quotations by or about Spyder (Earth-616)
- Character Gallery: Spyder (Earth-616)
Discover and Discuss
- Search this site for:
|Like this? Let us know!|