Appearing in "The Fangs of Werewolf by Night"Edit
Synopsis for "The Fangs of Werewolf by Night"Edit
Continued from last issue... Escaping Spider-Woman, the Hornet (secretly her partner Scotty McDowell) returns to his home to find Karl Malus there waiting for him. Malus wishes to continue his experiments on the Hornet, and the increasingly unstable McDowell agrees to it, and to test out his powers on Spider-Woman once more. Tricking Spider-Woman into a trap, by having a "lead" on the Hornet's location as McDowell, the Hornet briefly battles Spider-Woman over a beach. However, she is forced to break off her counter-attack to save some tourists, allowing the Hornet to escape.
Reporting back to Malus, the doctor orders him to rest while he mulls over what to do with the increasingly unstable McDowell. He decides to initiate a new part of his plan and gets in touch with Jack Russell, the Werewolf by Night. Malus offers a solution to Russell's problem of changing into a werewolf and sets up a meeting. As Jessica meets with Scotty, and notices his erratic behavior, Malus meets with Russell. He fits Russell with a device that is supposed to cure him. It is however a trick that puts Jack under Malus' control. He then sends the Werewolf out to do his bidding. Additionally, Malus has McDowell stage his own kidnapping in the guise of the Hornet, leaving a note for Spider-Woman to meet him at the old Metro-Movies studio.
Malus has both the Hornet and the Werewolf attack Spider-Woman, but the plan goes awry due to the Hornet's continued instability. This allows Spider-Woman to disable the device controlling the Werewolf and she and Jack Russell team up to stop Malus and the Hornet. As the Werewolf easily deals with Malus, Spider-Woman incapacitates the Hornet and unmasks him, revealing to her that it's really her friend Scotty. Five days later, the effects of Malus' drugs have begun wearing off and Scotty begins to change back to normal. Spider-Woman informs him that Malus has been returned to jail and that in a few more days, Scotty should be well enough to leave the hospital.
- The Hornet (Scotty McDowell) appeared last in Spider-Woman (Volume 1) #31. He appears next in Spider-Woman (Volume 1) #33.
- Jack Russell appeared last in Marvel Team-Up (Volume 1) #93. He appears next in Ghost Rider (Volume 2) #55.
- Karl Malus appeared last in Spider-Woman (Volume 1) #31. He appears next in Iron Man (Volume 1) Annual #7.
- The cover to this issue includes photograph snapshots of classic Universal Monsters, including: Lon Chaney as the Hunchback of Notre Dame (top left), Bela Lugosi as Dracula (bottom left), Boris Karloff as the Frankenstein Monster (from Son of Frankenstein, center), Lon Chaney as the the Phantom of the Opera (top center) and Lon Chaney, Jr. as the Wolf Man (top right). The film representations of Dracula and the Frankenstein Monster are not to be confused with their Marvel Comics counterparts.
- The tagline to this issue is, "Werewolf by Night... He's a REAL Monster!"
- Spider-Woman (Volume 1) #1-50
- Spider-Woman: Origin #1-5
- New Avengers #1-up
- Werewolf by Night (Volume 1) #1-43
- Werewolf by Night (Volume 2) #1-6
Links and ReferencesEdit
- Spider-Woman cover art gallery
- Spider-Woman image gallery
- Spider-Woman appearances list
- Werewolf image gallery
- Werewolf appearances list
- Spider-Woman article at Wikipedia
- Spider-Woman at the Marvel Universe
- Spider-Woman at the Marvel Directory
|Like this? Let us know!|