One of six Infinity Gems that grant its user control over reality. According to the most commonly accepted origin story the six gems were once part of an all-powerful being who committed suicide out of loneliness. Its power survived and manifested as six gems.
The Soul Gem was in the possession of the High Evolutionary when he oversaw the rebirth of Adam Warlock. He gifted the gem to Warlock to aid him in his mission to save the world of Counter-Earth. During that time, Warlock primarily used the gem's powers to restore evil New Men to their pre-evolved animal forms.
After leaving Counter-Earth, Warlock started to become more aware of the Soul Gem's hidden dark side. He found it difficult to control its tendency to steal the souls of others. He soon found a way to communicate with the gem's consciousness and learned that it was "one of six". Shortly afterwards, Thanos had gathered the other five and siphoned off the power from Warlock's sixth to creath a giant, synthetic Soul Gem. After defeating Thanos and destroying the large gem, Warlock had his own soul absorbed into his Soul Gem by his time-travelling past self, where he lived peacefully within the inner world of the gem along with his friends Pip, Gamora, and the gem's other stolen souls.
The Soul Gem was left atop Warlock's grave, where it was picked up by the Gardener to replace the gem he earlier discarded. The Gardener went to the subatomic world of K'ai to create a new garden on the devastated planet and refused to let any of its doomed people access it. This brought him into conflict with the visiting Hulk, who snatched the gem and threw it through the ground into the planet's core, where it revitalized life on the surface.
- The Soul Gem is sentient; it has a desire to collect souls
- The gem can attack another's soul in various ways
- The gem can reveal information by peering into another's soul or using the 'Cold Light of Truth'
- The gem can trap souls inside itself in an idyllic world.
- The gem's wielder can access the memories and skills of those imprisoned within Soul World
- The gem can revert beings to their natural state.
- The gem protects its wielder from soul-based attacks.
- The gem can disrupt the anima of a soul with a karmic blast rendering the target temporarily unconscious. Certain beings are immune to this attack.
- No special notes.
- No trivia.
- 199 Appearances of Soul Gem
- 11 Minor Appearances of Soul Gem
- 8 Media Soul Gem was Mentioned in
- 69 Images featuring Soul Gem
- Item Gallery: Soul Gem
Links and References