After the Brotherhood of Evil Mutants tried to assassinate Senator Robert Kelly while he was performing a public research on the possible threat of superhuman beings and mutants, the President's Cabinet authorized secret and illegal Project Wideawake to research and, if needed, capture any superhuman mutant that the Project management could consider a threat to national security. The Project's head was Henry Gyrich, answering only to the President, with Senator Kelly himself as an special consultant.
The government contacted industrial tycoon Sebastian Shaw, ignoring that Shaw was a evil mutant himself, to build the new breed of Sentinels. Shaw Industries was authorized by the government to build top-secret Sentinels to be used in Project Awakening.
Shaw produced three models: Mark IV Sentinels, Mark V Sentinels and Mark VI Sentinels. None of these models proved to be as formidable as Mark II Sentinels. The models were constantly being modified and improved. Shaw secretly used Sentinels to attack his own enemies, the X-Men, but the government was unaware of this.
Unlike its Mark IV and Mark VI brethren, the external design of the Mark V Sentinels deviated significantly from the original Trask design. The Mark Vs featured a new blue and grey color scheme, a modified head design, and different body details.
- Cold Blast: The eyes of this model could spray liquid nitrogen that was used to cage opponents in frozen cocoons.
- Energy Blast: The Mark V had an amount of different blasts, including but not reducing to plasma, electrons, stunning gas and heat, that could be shot from their chests. They were also armed with a disintegrator that only worked on inorganic matter.
- Flight used jets
- Gas Jets
- Learning Program: A special learning program allowed a particular Mk V a certain advantage when fighting an enemy, but only after at least one minute of analysis. This data could be stored for future uses against the same enemy, so that any Sentinel from any model could access the information (and Shaw or the government could authorize the development of special weaponry). However, any needed modification would take at least one week.
- Mutant Detection: The Sentinels constantly scanned all the living beings in the immediate surrounding area and were able to determine if they were humans or mutants.
- Robot: Due to its nature, the sentinels were protected by the sheer strength of the hull. They could not be affected by emotional or mental attacks, nor by illusions. However, they were susceptible to attacks affecting machinery.
- Searching Lights: This model's eyes were equipped with searching lights.
Mk V Sentinels were able to lift up to 70 tons.
Flight under their own power.
Internal weapon systems.
- 3 Appearances of Sentinels Mk V (Earth-616)
- 4 Minor Appearances of Sentinels Mk V (Earth-616)
- Media Sentinels Mk V (Earth-616) was Mentioned in
- 1 Images featuring Sentinels Mk V (Earth-616)
- Quotations by or about Sentinels Mk V (Earth-616)
- Character Gallery: Sentinels Mk V (Earth-616)
- Official Handbook of the Marvel Universe #11 (?)
- Gamer's Handbook of the Marvel Universe
Discover and Discuss
- Search this site for:
|Like this? Let us know!|