Santo Marco, officially known as the Republic of Santo Marco, is a sovereign state on the northeastern Atlantic coast of South America. It is bordered by the Atlantic Ocean to the north, French Guiana to the east and Brazil to the west and south. Santo Marco has a population of approximately 198,000, most of whom live on the country's north coast, in and around the capital and largest city, Santo Marco City.
Independence and Montalva's rule
In the early 19th century, General Alejandro Montalva assumed power and achieved independence of the country.
After decades of Montalva's cruel dictatorship, the people of Santo Marco rebelled and overthrew his corrupt regime.
The country was taken over and Navidad's government overthrown by the Brotherhood of Evil Mutants (by creating an illusory army then forming a real army of Santo Marcans and employing a small army of mercenaries) and briefly occupied the country which they declared a mutant homeland. During that time, the people were even afraid from leaving their homes.
Upon Magneto's departure of Santo Marco, head of the Santo Marco Armed Forces General Luis Augustine assumed control of the country, plunging it into another era of dictatorship, and prompting the formation by outspoken activist Carlos Zapatero of the Popular Front for Santo Marco.
Tension grew, with television talking about tribal grudges and atrocities on both sides of the conflict. At least since the beginning of the Taino Rebellion, former soldiers imprisoned for murder or rape (such as sergeant R. Belasco) were released and reinstated, torture and murder were performed in prisons such as the Coahiba Detention Center, mass murders were performed, such as the burning of 312 refugees in the Iglesia de Cristobal, or the multiple killings of the Santo Marco Armed Forces Death Squad 832.
Despite the presence of international observers, including United Nations Blue Helmets, president Augustine had the army to gather citizens to stadiums to use a retrofitted Sentinel to gene scan them, separating out everyone from the same tribe as the main rebel leaders, before performing mass killings. War Machine foiled such mass murder, butchering at least twenty-six Santo Marcan soldiers. That attack war part of the War Crimes and Crimes against Humanity charges carried out by the International Court of Justice of The Hague against War Machine, and Santo Marco moved to extradite him as soon as the trial would be over.
The X-Men worked with the opposition party to defeat President Duarte's new anti-mutant bill. At the same period, Suncorp Properties expelled fishermen all along the northern shore of Santo Marco to built their resort.
At that time, Storm intervened to stop a tsunami over such a village, but was instant later confronted to Suncorp's army who inflicted on her their bigotry. They returned but were defeated and delivered to local authorities, prompting President Duarte to swore to investigate. Expelled fishermen all along the northern shore soon kicked out Suncorp guards and reclaimed their villages.
Chaos after Duarte's rule
At some point and somehow, Duarte returned as President.
Using Nuke's technology, the Santo Marcan Armed Forces created the Nuke Platoon, and had them track down "the mutants and the mutant lovers and everyone else poisoning this great country". Killing and capturing mutants, it prompted the intervention of the mutant fighters team Weapon X.
On another statement, Santo Marco was stated to be an island nation.
The major languages in Santo Marco are English, Spanish, Portuguese and French.
The monetary unit used in Santo Marco is the Santo Marco Peso.
The major resources are coffee, cocoa, timber and tourism.
Apart from the rulers' crimes and the resistance of opposition forces such as the Popular Front for Santo Marco, the country suffers from other form of criminality:
- Illegal narcotics trafficking frequently occur (due to the proximity to the Amazon rainforest), and Santo Marco is growing transshipment point for illegal South American narcotics destined for Europe and the USA.
- Mercenary Parnell Jacobs once ran guns for the dictator of Santo Marco.
- For years, the U.S.A. attempted to have him killed, sending soldiers who were at each occasions either captured (including Nuke) or killed.
- Suncorp Properties had armed militants expel inhabitants of the northern shore of the country to built its resorts.
- The Holodoin Cartel laundered its drug money through Santo Marco's National Bank.
In Earth-905, Magneto, with his Brotherhood of Evil Mutants, was able to conquer Santo Marco and consolidate his powers and declared it a sanctuary for mutants, assembling an army of misfits persecuted all over the world to attack the United Nations.
The aftermaths of Magneto's death for Santo Marco are unknown.
In Earth-94041, Magneto, with his Brotherhood of Evil Mutants, was able to conquer Santo Marco. When the X-Men came to remove him, Charles Xavier took for himself the blast from a booby-trapped door to protect his X-Men.
Points of Interest
- Santo Marco (capital city)
- Coahiba Detention Center
- Iglesia de Cristobal
The people of Santo Marco are Santo Marcan(s).
- Appearances of Santo Marco (Country)
- Minor Appearances of Santo Marco (Country)
- Media Santo Marco (Country) was Mentioned in
- Location Gallery: Santo Marco (Country)
- Images related to Santo Marco (Country)
- Marvel Staff members who were born in Santo Marco (Country)
Links and References
- ↑ 1.00 1.01 1.02 1.03 1.04 1.05 1.06 1.07 1.08 1.09 1.10 1.11 1.12 1.13 1.14 1.15 Marvel Atlas #2; Santo Marco's entry
- ↑ 2.0 2.1 2.2 Avengers Origins: The Scarlet Witch & Quicksilver #1
- ↑ 3.0 3.1 3.2 3.3 X-Men #4
- ↑ 4.0 4.1 4.2 4.3 Professor Xavier and the X-Men #5
- ↑ Avengers Academy #2
- ↑ 6.0 6.1 War Machine Vol 2 #1
- ↑ 7.0 7.1 War Machine Vol 2 #11
- ↑ 8.0 8.1 8.2 Storm Vol 3 #1
- ↑ 9.0 9.1 9.2 9.3 9.4 9.5 Weapon X Vol 3 #12
- ↑ 10.0 10.1 10.2 Totally Awesome Hulk #20
- ↑ Black Panther Vol 6 #5
- ↑ What If? Vol 2 #13
- ↑ What If? Vol 2 #60
- ↑ Astonishing X-Men Vol 3 #44
- ↑ Astonishing X-Men Vol 3 #45
- ↑ Astonishing X-Men Vol 3 #46
- ↑ Astonishing X-Men Vol 3 #47
- ↑ X-Treme X-Men Vol 2 #1
- ↑ X-Treme X-Men Vol 2 #6
- ↑ Marvel Atlas #2; Santo Marco's entry