Sanctuary, is a planetoid located at a distant part of the universe inhabited by the Chitauri. It is ruled by the mad Titan; Thanos. When Loki fell into Yggdrasil, he was transported to Sanctuary. There he was trained by Thanos and was given the Mind controlling Sceptre.
Loki used the Tesseract to open a wormhole between Earth and Sanctuary, where the Chitauri were staged for invasion. During the invasion Iron Man flew a nuclear bomb through the wormhole into Chitauri Space and stopping the invasion before he fell back through to the portal.
Guardians of the Galaxy
After Gamora's betrayed Ronan the Accuser, he travelled to Sanctuary to meet with Thanos. When the Other scolded Ronan for disrespecting Thanos, Ronan broke his neck. Ronan confronted Thanos but had no interest in the Kree, as he believed Nebula would fix the problem. Thanos however warned him that if he returned empty handed again, he would "bathe the star-ways in his blood".
Points of Interest
- In the comics, Sanctuary was the name used for Thanos's space ark, first appearing in Warlock #10. The Sanctuary, and its two duplicates, served as Thanos' base of operations in his plan of stellar genocide in an attempt to court Death. However, in Marvel Two-In-One Annual #2, Thanos' plans were thwarted by the spirit of Adam Warlock, who turned the Titan into stone aboard one of Thanos' Sanctuary starships. Also, Thanos was never seen sitting on a space throne until Silver Surfer #34.
- In Avengers: Age of Ultron, Tony Stark's illusion caused by Scarlet Witch makes him see his fellow Avengers dead in the landscape of Sanctuary.
- Appearances of Sanctuary (Planet)
- Minor Appearances of Sanctuary (Planet)
- Media Sanctuary (Planet) was Mentioned in
- Location Gallery: Sanctuary (Planet)
- Images related to Sanctuary (Planet)