Origin and youth
The demigod Sétanta was born in Mag Muirthelne (modern-day County Louth, Ireland) to Lugh, celtic god of the sun, and to the mortal druidess Deichtine, the sister of Conchobar mac Nessa, King of Ulster.
During his youth, he lived at Emain Macha (modern-day Armagh, Northern Ireland), where his uncle reigned as king, with Súaltam as step-father. He trained in combat with the Craeb Ruad knights of Emain Macha, and by Scathach, the warrior goddess. He was also tutored by mortal nobles and poets.
At age seven, he killed the hound of the royal smith, Culann, and offered himself as guard in the hound's place until a new one could be trained. That earned him the name Cúchulain ("the Hound of Culann").
At some point, he married Emer.
When the Warriors Three inadvertently killed the shapeshifting Giant Holth, his father King Gnives demanded as retribution a list of items (all extremely difficult to acquire), including Slaughter.
As they arrived to Otherworld via a sidhe, a fairy mound in Ireland. There, they were welcomed by Froud who asked them to tell a story to a child that they had stolen (in fact Chulain in disguise) in exchange for the borrowing of the Spear. As the Asgardians decided to return the child and steal the Spear. Arriving back to Ireland, Chulain revealed his true form, swiftly beheaded Volstagg and mortally wounded Thor, before being defeated and forced to fled by Hogun, who intercepted Slaughter. His victims were quickly resurrected using the healing properties of an Apple of Idunn previously acquired by the group.
When Hercules assembled the Gods of War to battle the new gods of the Uprising Storm, Tiresias proposed Cú Chulainn, but Hercules considered him to blood-thirsty, before recalling he couldn't be too picky. It is unknown if he did try to contact him in the end.
|Power Grid |
|* Heightened strength, speed when in Riastrad|
Cúchulain possess the conventional superhuman physical attributes of the Celtic gods, with some particularities:
- Superhuman speed: Cúchulain can move at faster speed than the average Celtic god.
- Battle frenzy: His powers also increase exponentially when he succumbs to battle frenzy ("riastrad").
It is unknown how Chulain appeared as a baby before the Asgardians, whether it was one of his power, or Froud's doing.
During his battle frenzies, he becomes unable to distinguish friend from foe.
- 4 Appearances of Sétanta (Earth-616)
- 1 Minor Appearances of Sétanta (Earth-616)
- Media Sétanta (Earth-616) was Mentioned in
- 3 Images featuring Sétanta (Earth-616)
- Quotations by or about Sétanta (Earth-616)
- Character Gallery: Sétanta (Earth-616)
Discover and Discuss
- Search this site for:
- ↑ 1.00 1.01 1.02 1.03 1.04 1.05 1.06 1.07 1.08 1.09 1.10 1.11 1.12 1.13 Thor & Hercules: Encyclopaedia Mythologica #1; Cúchulain's entry
- ↑ 2.0 2.1 2.2 Civil War II: Gods of War #1
- ↑ 3.0 3.1 3.2 3.3 3.4 3.5 3.6 Thor Blood Oath #4
- ↑ Thor & Hercules: Encyclopaedia Mythologica #1; Cúchulain's entry erroneously lists her as "paternal grandmother"
- ↑ Official Handbook of the Marvel Universe A-Z #14
- ↑ Thor Blood Oath #1
- ↑ 7.0 7.1 7.2 Thor Blood Oath #5
- ↑ Official Handbook of the Marvel Universe A-Z #14, Thor & Hercules: Encyclopaedia Mythologica #1
- ↑ Official Handbook of the Marvel Universe A-Z hardcover Vol. 14
|Like this? Let us know!|