- All right. Hulk plug-in-- DO YOUR SLUGGIN'! Hhrrrh. Need to work on that catchphrase.
- -- Red Hulk src
General Robert L. Maverick worked for Project: Troubleshooter, the United States' latest off-the-books facility for the production of human weapons. He oversaw the procedure that turned Corporal Todd Ziller into a giant lizard monster, who would be nicknamed "American Kaiju" by Maverick.
When Avengers Idea Mechanics performed an illegal operation to rescue Rick Jones from S.H.I.E.L.D. custody, Maverick suggested to retaliate with the American Kaiju. Maverick later observed as the American Kaiju was deployed against A.I.M. and witnessed as it was defeated and reverted back to his human form.
Some time later, when A.I.M.'s leader Bobby da Costa defeated the villainous Maker, he decided to bring him to the United States' government and for Maverick to be in their good graces and motivate cooperation between them. Da Costa's alliance with Maverick resulted in A.I.M. being absorbed by S.H.I.E.L.D. and working with the American government, having become American Intelligence Mechanics. With the rebranding of A.I.M., Maverick became a member of its U.S.Avengers. Using an improved version of S.H.I.E.L.D.'s Hulk plug-ins, Maverick became the new Red Hulk.
The time-limit imposed by the Hulk Plug-In power caused Maverick to feel feeble. A Hydra double-agent named Kyle working within A.I.M. took advantage of this to offer Robert a nanite injection that could bypass the safety cutout. The nanites also allowed Hydra to take control of Red Hulk's body, forcing him to do their bidding and spend Hulked-out for the entirety of their short-lived reign in control of the United States. Even though da Costa burned the nanites from Maverick's blood, the nanites prevented him from turning back. Additionally, he had remained in Red Hulk state for roughly 800 times longer than he should've.
Following Hydra's defeat, Maverick underwent a painful and long process to revert back to his regular form because he couldn't remain as the Red Hulk due to pressing health concerns. Robert emerged from the procedure with heart damage, bone density loss, muscle tearing, high blood pressure and with his skin's pigment being permanently red. Maverick could still access to the Hulk Plug-In, but making use of it wasn't recommendable.
Hulk Plug-In: Maverick has an implant in his left arm that allows him to transform into a Hulk for one hour every day and a half, approximately. However, since this plug-in device was re-modified by Agent Kyle (who secretly was a Hydra double-agent), it seems that now he can stay in a Hulk form more than one hour. This grants him the following abilities:
- Super-Strength: Allegedly to the same level as the Hulk, making Maverick strong enough to destroy the Secret Empire's volcano island floating base by crash-landing into it.
- Superhuman Strength Utilization: He also can slam his hands together to create a powerful sonic vibration that propagates through the air to knock down his opponents.
- Superhuman Durability: As the Red Hulk, Maverick possesses a high degree of resistance to physical injury that may instantly kill a human or lower level super humans.
Skilled Combatant: as a trained soldier, Maverick is an expert in hand-to-hand combat.
Maverick possesses the normal human strength of a man of his age, height, and build who engages in moderate regular exercise. As Red Hulk he is listed as class 100.
Health Issues: As a consequence of overtaxing his body when Hydra forced him to stay in Red Hulk form for longer than he should, Maverick suffers of severe health issues, including heart damage and high blood pressure. Because of this, he would need to be regularly medicated for the rest of his life.
- 23 Appearances of Robert Maverick (Earth-616)
- 1 Minor Appearances of Robert Maverick (Earth-616)
- Media Robert Maverick (Earth-616) was Mentioned in
- 36 Images featuring Robert Maverick (Earth-616)
- 3 Quotations by or about Robert Maverick (Earth-616)
- Character Gallery: Robert Maverick (Earth-616)
- Characters killed by Red Hulk
Discover and Discuss
- Search this site for:
- ↑ New Avengers Vol 3 #9
- ↑ 2.0 2.1 2.2 2.3 U.S.Avengers #1
- ↑ 3.0 3.1 3.2 U.S.Avengers #4
- ↑ New Avengers Vol 4 #9
- ↑ New Avengers Vol 4 #8
- ↑ New Avengers Vol 4 #10
- ↑ 7.0 7.1 New Avengers Vol 4 #17
- ↑ U.S.Avengers #5
- ↑ U.S.Avengers #6
- ↑ U.S.Avengers #7
- ↑ U.S.Avengers #8
- ↑ 12.0 12.1 U.S.Avengers #10
- ↑ U.S.Avengers #11
- ↑ 14.0 14.1 U.S.Avengers #9
|Like this? Let us know!|