According to the griot spirits of the Djalia, the Orisha originated during immemorial times in the land that would become Wakanda. When the pilgrims who traveled to this land entered in conflict with the native beasts that lived on it, the Originators, the heroes that rose among the humans were ascended to gods on faith. These gods, the Orisha, were Thoth, Kokou, Mujaji, Ptah, Nyami and Bast. The humans and the Orisha defeated the originators and banished them to the Nether-Realms beyond a group of gates. As part of their duty, the Orisha became guardians of these gates.
In Kinamasi, a faction of protesters abandoned their worship to the Orishas and preached the coming of a new god, Sefako. Counselor Yao of Kinamasi was certain that a schism was brewing. Others in Wakanda, such as in the Alkama Fields chose, on her return, to worship Hadari Yao (the "Walker of Clouds" in the old Alkamite tongue), the Goddess who preserves the balance of all natural things: Storm, for her to defeat the Anansi, man-spiders of myth and legend. Once the Anansi were repelled, Ororo used the belief in her from the Alkamites to once again inspire confidence in their king and country, ultimately ascending to godhood herself.
- Both Black Panther Vol 6 #13 and #15 depict the Orishas of Wakanda as a group of five including Thoth, Bast, Kokou, Mujaji and Ptah. Yet, in #15, T'Challa mentions Nyami, who could be Nyame, another name of Vodu Sky Father Buluku.
- All identified Orishas are part of the Ennead and related gods, forming the Gods of Egypt, and not of the "classical" Orishas of Africa.
- 7 Gods of Wakanda (Earth-616) Members
- 3 Appearances of Gods of Wakanda (Earth-616)
- Minor Appearances of Gods of Wakanda (Earth-616)
- 12 Media Gods of Wakanda (Earth-616) was Mentioned in
- 1 Images that include Gods of Wakanda (Earth-616)
- Team Gallery: Gods of Wakanda (Earth-616)