Old Lace was a genetically engineered dinosaur (possibly a Deinonychus, though she was originally believed to have been a velociraptor) from the 87th Century. Dale and Stacey Yorkes used their 4-D Time Portico to travel into the future and commissioned Old Lace. They originally planned to have the dinosaur act as a protective weapon for their daughter, Gertrude Yorkes.
Although Old Lace was designed to be activated after Gert's 18th birthday and/or if her parents died, but while searching for evidence and the body in the Yorkes basement, the Runaways stumbled onto a holographic message from Gert's parents, the Pride's Abstract, and Old Lace. Although Old Lace was originally left at the Yorkes, she followed the Runaways to the Stein's home and saved Gert's life.
After rescuing Molly, narrowly escaping their parents, and taking refuge in The Hostel, Gert suggested taking on new codenames to start over without the influence of their parents. She chose the codename Arsenic and named her new pet velociraptor Old Lace. The pair were immediately connected, and their bond continued to strengthen with time.
When facing off with The Pride in the Marine Vivarium, Arsenic had instructed Old Lace to follow Alex's commands if anything happened to her. Unfortunately, after taking down the Deans, Arsenic was incapacitated by Alice Hayes. Luckily, Arsenic and the others were able to escape in the Leapfrog before the Gibborim destroyed the Marine Vivarium killing Alex and all the members of the Pride.
After narrowly escaping the destruction of the Marine Vivarium, the Runaways were immediately apprehended by Captain America and placed into foster care. Additionally, Old Lace was taken away from Arsenic. Weeks later after a text message from Karolina, the Runaways reconvened at the Griffith Observatory. Together they decided to retrieve Old Lace and the Leapfrog, and runaway again.
During the Runaways' mission to rescue Molly Pride, Chase ran into the burning Griffith Observatory to rescue his friends. However, Nico, Xavin, and Molly had already escaped, leave Chase to face off with a young Geoffrey Wilder. Gert and Old Lace went in after him resulting in Geoffrey throwing a knife directly into Gert's chest. Before she died, she successfully transferred her telepathic connection with Old Lace to Chase Stein.
After Gert's death, Chase began using Old Lace in a much more angry and aggressive manner, even going so far as to command Old Lace to rip an enemy's throat out. When Chase ordered her to keep the other Runaways from interfering with his deal with the Gibborim, Karolina managed to talk Old Lace out of it, saying that everyone can choose to disobey.
When the Runaways relocated to the Malibu House, Old Lace was apparently killed attempting to protect Klara Prast from a crashing unmanned aircraft. Although Chase felt her heart stop, Old Lace was actually transported to Dinosaur World by the Hag of the Pits.
Months later, Nico used the magic to find her, the Runaways sought the assistance of Reptil and the Avengers Academy. With Dr. Hank Pym time machine, Reptil's Fossilized Amulet, and Nico's magic, a portal was opened to another dimension, both teams went inside and found Old Lace, alive and healthy.
|Power Grid |
Old Lace is a genetically engineered deinonychus from the 87th Century commissioned by the Yorkes using their 4-D Time Portico to protect Gert in case of their deaths. Old Lace has the following abilities:
- Telepathic and Empathic Link: Old Lace is telepathically and empathically linked to Gertrude Yorkes. This empathic bond between Old Lace and Gertrude allows for mental communication. Additionally, Old Lace is fiercely loyal to Gert, and has been programed not to harm any member of the Yorkes immediate family. Old Lace can feel the emotions of her owner, such as sadness when Karolina left, and anger when Nico and Chase's kiss was revealed. However, Gert and Old Lace also share the pain any injuries they other sustains. Later the link was psychically pasted onto Chase Stein just before Gert's death.
- Gert's codename "Arsenic" and the name of her pet dinosaur "Old Lace" were chosen as a reference to the 1944 dark comedy Arsenic and Old Lace directed by Frank Capra. Based on the play of the same name, the film is about a man that learns on his wedding day that bride-to-be has homicidal aunts and a family history of insanity.
- Old Lace was originally mistaken as a Velociraptor, when she is in fact seemingly a Deinonychus. This misunderstanding is likely a reference to the 1993 film Jurassic Park. Whereas Velociraptors are generally a small breed of dinosaur, the film depicts them as a larger/human-sized species more closely resembling the Velociraptor's distant genetic cousins, the Deinonychus or the Utahraptor.
- 67 Appearances of Old Lace (Earth-616)
- 1 Minor Appearances of Old Lace (Earth-616)
- Media Old Lace (Earth-616) was Mentioned in
- 77 Images featuring Old Lace (Earth-616)
- Quotations by or about Old Lace (Earth-616)
- Character Gallery: Old Lace (Earth-616)
Discover and Discuss
- Search this site for:
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 1.2 1.3 Runaways Vol 2 #3
- ↑ 2.0 2.1 2.2 2.3 2.4 Runaways #3
- ↑ 3.0 3.1 Runaways #6
- ↑ Runaways #7
- ↑ Runaways #8
- ↑ Runaways #14
- ↑ Runaways #16
- ↑ 8.0 8.1 Runaways #17
- ↑ Runaways #18
- ↑ Runaways Vol 2 #10
- ↑ 11.0 11.1 11.2 Runaways Vol 2 #18
- ↑ Runaways Vol 2 #19
- ↑ Runaways Vol 2 #22
- ↑ Runaways Vol 2 #24
- ↑ Runaways Vol 3 #11
- ↑ Runaways Vol 3 #12
- ↑ Avengers Academy #28
- ↑ Avengers Academy #27
- ↑ Avengers Arena #1
- ↑ Avengers Arena #13
- ↑ Runaways #2
- ↑ Runaways Vol 2 #17
- ↑ Runaways #5
- ↑ Runaways Vol 2 #8
- ↑ Runaways Vol 2 #15
- ↑ Runaways Vol 2 #5
- ↑ What If? House of M #1
- ↑ Runaways Vol 2 #14
- ↑ Arsenic and Old Lace (1944) on IMDb
- ↑ Where Jurassic Park Got It Wrong
- ↑ Official Handbook of the Marvel Universe A-Z hardcover Vol. 8
|Like this? Let us know!|