Ad blocker interference detected!
Wikia is a free-to-use site that makes money from advertising. We have a modified experience for viewers using ad blockers
Wikia is not accessible if you’ve made further modifications. Remove the custom ad blocker rule(s) and the page will load as expected.
Niffleheim, more properly and traditionally spelled "Niflheim", is one of the Nine Worlds. It is the far northern region of icy fogs and mists, darkness and cold. It is situated on the lowest level of the universe. The realm of death, Hel is part of the vast, cold region. Niffleheim lies underneath the third root of Yggdrasil, close to the spring Hvergelmir. Also situated on this level is Nastrond, the Shore of Corpses, where the serpent Nidhogg eats corpses and gnaws on the roots of Yggdrasil.
Ginnungagap ("yawning abyss") was the vast, primordial void that existed prior to the creation of the manifest universe. In the northern part of Ginnungagap lay the intense cold of Niffleheim, and to the southern part lay the equally intense heat of Muspelheim. The cosmogonic process began when the effulgence of the two met in the middle of Ginnungagap. This created the Nine Realms.
In Niffleheim there was located the eldest of the three wells, called Hvergelmir, protected by the dragon Nidhogg. Hvergelmir was the origin of all being and the place where every being will go back.
Elivagar ("unknown waves" or "poisonous stream") were the twelve streams, flowing out the Hvergelmir. The Elivagar filled the emptiness of Ginnungagap and froze in the regions of Niffleheim. 
Like the primal cow Audumla, the giant Ymir was created when the hot fire of Muspelheim spray to the Elivagar's glacier. The cow Audumla licked the salty ice-blocks, till Buri came forth from the blocks.
- Hel is located in Niffleheim. The ruler of Hel is Hela, daughter of Loki and Angrboda and its guardian was the hell-hound Garm ("Howl"), who was curt in front of Gnipahellir, the cave before Gjoll, the entry of Hel.
- Nastrond ("Corpse-Strand"), the land of the dead, was placed in Niffleheim and there stands Eljudni ("Plague"), the hall of Hel.
Politics and Leadership
Avengers: Earth's Mightiest Heroes (Earth-8096)
When Baron Zemo used the Norn Stones; Captain America was transported to Niffleheim to the region known as Hel. Cap was tormented by the souls of the Howling Commandos. They wanted to convince him to give up and enjoy the reward Cap deserved, but the latter realized that the real ones wouldn't give up a fight and then he dispersed the souls off. Then he confronted Hela and demanded her to teleport him to Asgard to fight Loki. She granted his request in a condition that if he dies in battle then his soul will belong to her forever. He accepted it and was transported to Asgard.
2010s Marvel Animated Universe (Earth-12041)
On Earth-12041; 
Marvel Cinematic Universe (Earth-199999)
Niffleheim appeared during the convergence of realms that occurred every 5000 years.
Points of Interest
- No special notes.
- No trivia.
- Appearances of Niffleheim
- Media Niffleheim was Mentioned in
- Location Gallery: Niffleheim
- Images related to Niffleheim
- Marvel Staff members who were born in Niffleheim
Links and References
- ↑ Original Sin #5.3
- ↑ 2.0 2.1 Doctor Strange, Sorcerer Supreme #35
- ↑ Official Handbook of the Marvel Universe Master Edition #6; Hela's entry
- ↑ Thor Annual #5
- ↑ Mighty Thor #10
- ↑ Mighty Thor Vol 2 #1
- ↑ Avengers: Earth's Mightiest Heroes (Animated Series) Season 1 19
- ↑ Avengers: Earth's Mightiest Heroes (Animated Series) Season 1 20
- ↑ Ultimate Spider-Man (Animated Series) Season 1 9
- ↑ Thor: The Dark World