- A new generation of mutants is emerging, that much is certain. They will be called freaks. Genetic monstrosities. [...] But they are emerging in the inner cities, in the suburbs, in the deserts and the jungles. And when they emerge, they will need teachers, people who can help them overcome their anger and show them how to use their strange gifts responsibly. They will need us.
Appearing in "E is for Extinction (Part 1)"Edit
- Ugly John (First appearance)
- Ms. Nova (First appearance)
- Mr. Trask (First appearance)
- Several Homo sapiens sapiens (Simulation)
- Several Neanderthals (Death in simulation)
- U.S. Government (Mentioned)
- Bolivar Trask (Mentioned)
- God (Yahweh) (Invoked)
Races and Species:
- Adamantium (On Wolverine's claws)
- Cyclops Visor
- Cerebra (First appearance)
- Cerebro (Mentioned)
- X-Wing (First appearance)
Synopsis for "E is for Extinction (Part 1)"Edit
In Sydney, Australia, Cyclops and Wolverine rescue a mutant known as Ugly John from a residual sentinel attack. On their way home in the X-Wing, they are connected to a telepathic conference by the Professor. He tells them that the all new mutant detector, Cerebra, has located an enormous mutant surge in Ecuador. The Professor asks them to make a quick turn and investigate the anomaly. Meanwhile, Beast presents Jean Grey with his advanced sub-basement clinic. She brings her worry over Charles to her teammate's attention but is suddenly distracted by a telepathic disturbance. Jean rushes to Cerebra, where she finds the Professor battling for dominance over his mind. The ordeal leaves Charles distraught and weakened.
At the same time, Cassandra Nova brings the mild-mannered dentist, Donald Trask into a virtual reality simulation of the early evolution of the human race. She explains that within four generations Homo Sapiens Sapiens will soon be extinct; to be replaced by Homo Sapiens Superior. Back in reality, she brings him to a hidden Master Mold factory unit in the Ecuadorian drill. There they are accommodated by Wild Sentinels but the androids do not attack them because they recognize Donald's "Trask DNA." Cassandra says Trask's future now lies in genocide.
- This issue features the first appearance of the Beast's more bestial features which are the result of the Secondary Mutation perceived by Sage in X-Treme X-Men #3.
- Cyclops suggest that the Sentinels attacking Australia may have been a consequence of the events shown in Operation: Zero Tolerance.
- Beast and Logan notice some tension between the married couple Jean and Scott.
- The X-Men are wearing their new school uniforms for the first time.
- First issue written by Grant Morrison; the title, X-Men, is renamed New X-Men for the whole Morrison's run.
- Emma Frost is shown on the cover, although she does not appear in the story.
- No trivia.
Links and ReferencesEdit
|Like this? Let us know!|