After Balder the Brave spurned Karnilla the Norn Queen, she arranged a scheme for revenge and to win his hand. Karnilla orchestrated a meeting between Nanna and Balder in an Asgardian marketplace, and they quickly fell in love. Once Balder and Nanna were truly devoted to one another, Karnilla had them kidnapped and threatened Balder with harming Nanna. In exchange for his hand in marriage, Karnilla vowed that no harm would come to Nanna, directly or indirectly by her actions. Balder reluctantly consented.
Nanna was released back to Asgard, but she could not let Balder make this sacrifice for her. Swiping Odin's eight-legged steed, Sleipnir, Nanna returned to Nornheim to disrupt the wedding ceremony. Nanna challenged Karnilla to hold to the terms of her vow, and stabbed herself through the heart, a mortal wound. With Nanna harmed indirectly due to Karnilla's actions, Balder tearfully declared himself free of his oath of marriage. Karnilla hesitated, then relented and allowed Balder to leave Nornheim with his dead lover in peace.
Nanna was given full honors at her funeral by the Asgardian people.
- Allspeak: Thanks to the Allspeak she can communicate in all of the languages of the Nine Realms, Earth's dialects, and various alien languages.
- Nanna is not to be confused with Nanna, the Sumerian moon-god, or Inanna (aka Ishtar), the Sumerian love-goddess.
- 6 Appearances of Nanna (Asgardian) (Earth-616)
- 3 Minor Appearances of Nanna (Asgardian) (Earth-616)
- Media Nanna (Asgardian) (Earth-616) was Mentioned in
- 1 Images featuring Nanna (Asgardian) (Earth-616)
- Quotations by or about Nanna (Asgardian) (Earth-616)
- Character Gallery: Nanna (Asgardian) (Earth-616)
- Nanna at the Guide to the Mythological Universe
- Nanna at the Appendix to the Marvel Universe
Discover and Discuss
- Search this site for:
|Like this? Let us know!|