As a young boy draws in his room, monsters start raining down on the world. The Avengers take on a leviathon in Boston, with Vision picking up other incidents around the world. Storm and her team take on a monster in London, the Black Panther and Shuri take on a leviathon in Wakanda, the Guardians of the Galaxy facing a monster in Seattle that viciously attacks Groot, and the Inhumans fight a leviathon terrorizing Venice.
While all of this is happening, Moon Girl analyzes the situation from the Lower East Side of Manhattan and resolves to figure out this problem with science. Another leviathon is attacking Los Angeles and is dealt with by the Champions with Ms. Marvel remarking that they need a monster expert. In Peru, Elsa Bloodstone finds a prophecy in ruins that say that the leviathons fear one thing: their king. The young boy (Kei Kawade) sneaks out of his house to learn more about what is going on, but is ambushed by monsters.
More and more monsters started to rain down on Earth. Alpha Flight intercepted a swarm of monsters in space, with Captain Marvel letting her Avengers friends know about the updated situation: a bigger swarm of monsters is heading towards the planet.
Captain America receives updates from a team of representatives (Queen Medusa,Storm, Star-Lord, Carol, and Agent Coulson). Carol informs them Alpha Flight is handling the attacks in space, Ororo is summoning an all-call of all the teams of X-Men and even the Hellfire Club to come and assist. Phil even lets them know that S.H.I.E.L.D. agents are armed with Pym Particles to come help them in Oregon. Sam then mentions that their man plan should be to cut off the source at the head. Other superhero teams are helping all over the world. Winter Guard is taking on a Leviathon in Russia, Storm and Magneto are battling another one at the Hoover Dam in Nevada, and Valkyrie and Warrior Woman is facing a massive one in Scotland.
In New York, Lunella is analyzing the situation. She's trying to figure out what they are saying and doing. Suddenly, a device near her tells her that there must be a offering, the ruler calls, and that Earth is going to be razed. In Illinois, Elsa Bloodstone is searching for clues. She arrives at an elementary school and finds a drawing that is identical to one of the Leviathons. She sees a symbol and recognizes it and goes to see the drawer: Kei.
Kei is sitting with his family in his house and is reminded that his family and him will always be together. When he goes back to his room to go draw, his mother remind the father that 'it's' happening again and the father says that whatever this is, it's much worse.
In San Diego, the Guardians are facing a massive monster. When things start to get serious, help arrives in the form of Thor. She defeats the monster and another one that appears from the water. Star-Lord uses the Spider-Cams to report in their situation to the other heroes across the world.
Back in Springfield, Kei was drawing another monster. Suddenly, Elsa Bloodstone appeared in his room. He's apparently a big fan of the monster hunter, who then asks what is she doing there. She then simply replies that she's just doing her job.
Back with the Guardians, Thor replies that their reinforcements (the Avengers, Champions, Deadpool, Doctor Strange, and Queen Medusa) have arrived. Ms. Marvel reports that another swarm is approaching them and asks Sam to try and rally the troops, but Captain America is frozen in fear at the massive swarm of monsters.
Two teams of monsters face each other, as Captain America regains his composure and sends the Avengers on the monsters on the right and Ms. Marvel states that her and the Champions will take the ones on the left.But instead of fighting the heroes, the two sets of monsters face each other and start to brawl as the heroes stand by idly watching as some of them are perplexed and confused. Ms. Marvel states that this is a classic movie troupe: the fate of the world is in the hands of monsters.
Sam calls in S.H.I.E.L.D and tells Maria Hill to ignore the brawling monsters and only focus on the citizens. The victorious monsters let the heroes know that they mean them no harm and the quickly vanish soon after. As everyone ponders what has happened, Maria Hill informs them that no more sightings have been reported falling from the sky and that the only monsters left are the ones here on the ground.
Elsa Bloodstone shows up and tells them that she knows what's going on and that she has a solution. At Parker Industries in New York, the heroes meet Kei and learn about his powerset: whatever he draws can come to life. Sam thinks he's the source of the problem, but Elsa begs to differ: he's the solution. The Kawades show up and ask where is their son. Star-Lord tells them that he's got two of his best men (Rocket and Groot) are talking to him now. Rocket lies about Groot threatning to punish Kei if he doesn't talk, but Kei reveals that he can understand him and almost tried to summon him. The other heroes try to ask Kei to learn more about his powers, so he shows them a demonstration of him trying to summon a monster. He summons Devil Dinosaur, but accidentally pulls Moon Girl along with it. She stops Elsa from shooting Devil and introduces herself and talks with Kei about his powers. Sam then asks if he can summon heroes to him and Elsa asks if he can summon monsters.
Kei says that he prefers monsters and is apalled that Elsa would even ask that. Spider-Man asks Kei on how his powers came to be and his parents reply that it was a strange, green cloud. Medusa says that he is not a monster, but an Inhuman. His parents also state that they thought that nothing happened but wherever they moved, monsters would appear. Medusa says that Kei has a destiny, but it's not her story to tell.
Karnak tells the group of an Inhuman who has a similar ability to Kei's and that there was a battle between her and a massive monster called the Leviathon Mother, a powerful alien who wakes every few thousand years. Spider-Man asks if she won the battle, but Karnak says she didn't. Captain America says that now this Leviathon Mother is coming to Earth and that their only hope is an 11-year old kid. The parents worry, but Sam tells them that they will protect Kei.
In the room, Lunella and Kei are mad that they were not included in the conversation and that Lunella feels bad that Devil is alone in some hangar. Kei asks if he could summon him, but Lunella denies it and states that she knows stuff and that they should listen to her. She tells him about her translation machine and that something big is coming.
Outside the planet, monsters tell a mysterious being about the heroes' attempts to stop it from destroying the planet. The being says no, and says to send all of the monsters at Earth.
- First teased on August 26, 2016 with a cryptic poster that paired the names of Steve McNiven and Cullen Bunn together with the letters "MU" and a release date of January 2017, followed by other four similar posters that teased the involvement of Greg Land, Adam Kubert, Leinil Francis Yu and Salvador Larroca. These four posters were released one each day between August 29 and September 1. The event's name was unfolded later that final day at Marvel's Diamond Retailer Summit presentation in Baltimore, as reported by Newsarama, with a synopsis being released on September 16 via Entertainment Weekly.
- All-New X-Men Vol 2 #1.MU
- Avengers Vol 7 #1.MU
- Champions Vol 2 #1.MU
- Doctor Strange Vol 4 #1.MU
- Guardians of the Galaxy Vol 4 #1.MU
- Spider-Man/Deadpool #1.MU
- Totally Awesome Hulk #1.MU
- Uncanny Inhumans #1.MU
- Pages referring to the "Monsters Unleashed" event
- Media Monsters Unleashed was Mentioned in
- Images showing "Monsters Unleashed"
- Event Gallery: Monsters Unleashed
Links and References
Monsters Unleashed Reading Order Guide on How to Love Comics.
- ↑ Monsters Unleashed Vol 2 #1
- ↑ Monsters Unleashed Vol 2 #2
- ↑ Monsters Unleashed Vol 2 #3
- ↑ White, Brett (26 August 2016). Marvel Teases New Project From McNiven & Bunn. CBR.com. Retrieved on 17 October 2016.
- ↑ White, Brett (29 August 2016). New Marvel MU Teaser Pairs Cullen Bunn with Greg Land. CBR.com. Retrieved on 17 October 2016.
- ↑ White, Brett (30 August 2016). New Marvel MU Teaser Matches Cullen Bunn with Adam Kubert. CBR.com. Retrieved on 17 October 2016.
- ↑ White, Brett (31 August 2016). New Marvel MU Teaser Spotlights Cullen Bunn and Adam Kubert. CBR.com. Retrieved on 17 October 2016.
- ↑ White, Brett (1 September 2016). Larroca Joins Bunn in Marvel's Latest MU Teaser. CBR.com. Retrieved on 17 October 2016.
- ↑ Arrant, Chris (1 September 2016). Marvel's MU Revealed. Newsarama. Retrieved on 17 October 2016.