During his research into what would ultimately become the super-soldier serum, Dr. Abraham Erskine outlined a special Brazilian revolutionary diet and isometric exercise regime that he theorized would create a super-soldier. However, because the diet and regime required a lifetime of adherence in order to produce the desired results, this research was rejected by the US government who demanded supersoldiers that could be produced quickly, not in an adult lifetime. When Erskine was assassinated, his research notes were passed down through his family, finally ending up in the hands of his grandson, Brian van Patrick who used the research to develop a successful organic food business.
When his son Michael was born, Brian decided to test out the diet and the exercise regime on the boy to see if his grandfather's theories were right. As it happened, the theories were right, and within twenty years, Michael Van Patrick became one of the greatest student athletes in the country, earning a scholarship to the University of Kentucky. However, when reporters discovered that Michael was the great-grandson of the man who created Captain America, he came under heavy scrutiny. Though the testing all showed that his abilities were due to training, Michael lost his scholarship, and nearly lost every award he'd ever received.
The creation of the 50-State Initiative offered Michael another chance. Dubbed "MVP", Michael was recruited by Justice as part of the Initiative. At Camp Hammond, he broke the course record for non-speedsters, impressing most of the other trainees and S.H.I.E.L.D. members. He was compared to the late Captain America.
After his death Dr. Blitzschlag performed cloning experiments on MVP's body, first cloning it at least four times. One of the clones was given the identity of the late Michael van Patrick and sent back home. Justice later took Cloud 9 to the van Patrick home as part of her therapy to visit with MVP's family. They were both shocked to find MVP seemingly alive and well; unaware that he was not the real Michael, but one of his clones.
The other three clones were given the names Michael, Van and Patrick, and together they formed the Scarlet Spiders. All three clones showed what Dr. Blitzschlag called strange behavior, seemingly connected to their genetic source. The clones seemed to be unaware of their origin, and called Dr. Blitzschlag their father.
Later, a fifth clone was created. This clone refused the identity of "Ian" and called himself Michael van Patrick. Once connected with the alien weapon Tactigon, this clone received information about MVP's death and grew enraged. Dubbing himself KIA, the clone began acting revenge on the people he felt were to blame for his death, killing one of the Scarlet Spider clones before going on a rampage in Camp Hammond. He is eventually stopped by a gas filled kiss from Cloud 9, who Michael Van Patrick had a crush on, then mind wiped by device from Baron Von Blitzschlag.
|Power Grid |
Naturally Enhanced Physiology: Michael's physiology has been greatly enhanced, even down to the genetic level. Due to a lifetime of a special revolutionary diet that was obtained in Brazil and a special isometric exercise regimen. According to Von Blitzschlag, every cell in his body "is perfection" His entire body is composed of healthy cells, having acheived the desired biochemical effect of the Super Soldier Serum without the actual serum. Michael Van Patrick had strength, stamina, durability, and agility comparable to Captain America.
- Peak Human Strength: Michael's physical strength equal to the very peak of human potential, able to sustain lifts of 800 lbs. This strength also extends to his legs, enabling him to leap high and far into the air without a running start. His physical strength is above a normal human being.
- Peak Human Durability: Michael's bones and muscles are denser and harder and is at the highest human potential, making him very durable. His body is more resistant to physical injury, to variable degrees, than that of an ordinary human. He seems capable of taking several gunshot & puncture wounds as well as beatings and still stand on his feet.
- Peak Human Agility: Michael's flexibility, balance, and bodily coordination are enhanced to levels that are beyond the natural physical limits of any Olympic-level athlete.
- Peak Human Healing: His healing speed and efficiency is at the highest limits of human potential, which means he can heal faster than most humans. He is able to heal broken bones, torn muscles, several gunshot & knife wounds and other severe injuries within of several days and most lesser injuries like cuts, scrapes and burns within hours.
- Peak Human Stamina: Michael's body eliminates the excessive build-up of fatigue-producing poisons in his muscles and his musculature generates considerably less fatigue toxins than the muscles of an ordinary human being, granting exceptional endurance and lung capacity. His lung capacity is at peak human level enabling him to hold breath for 6 minutes under water. He can exert himself at peak capacity for several hours without any rest and before showing any signs of fatigue.
- Peak Human Longevity: Michael's extensively healthy cells allows him to age at much slower rate.
- 11 Appearances of Michael van Patrick (Earth-616)
- 7 Minor Appearances of Michael van Patrick (Earth-616)
- Media Michael van Patrick (Earth-616) was Mentioned in
- 9 Images featuring Michael van Patrick (Earth-616)
- Quotations by or about Michael van Patrick (Earth-616)
- Character Gallery: Michael van Patrick (Earth-616)
Discover and Discuss
- Search this site for:
- ↑ In Avengers: The Initiative #9 Baron Blitzschlag mentioned Ian as his middle name
- ↑ 2.0 2.1 2.2 Avengers: The Initiative #1
- ↑ Avengers: The Initiative #1; UK Jacket
- ↑ 4.0 4.1 4.2 Avengers: The Initiative Annual #1
- ↑ Civil War Battle Damage Report #1
- ↑ Avengers: The Initiative #10
- ↑ Avengers: The Initiative #7
- ↑ Avengers: The Initiative #9
- ↑ Avengers: The Initiative #11
- ↑ Avengers Assemble #1
- ↑ 11.0 11.1 11.2 11.3 11.4 11.5 Marvel Avengers: The Ultimate Character Guide #1
- ↑ Avengers Assemble #1
- ↑ Avengers Assemble #1
|Like this? Let us know!|