Appearing in "Day of the Demolisher!"Edit
- President of the United States (See Continuity Notes)
- Impossible Man
- Spider-Man (Flashback and main story)
Synopsis for "Day of the Demolisher!"Edit
Continued from last issue.... Having pulled Deathlok from the future, Mentallo and Fixer easily take control of the android, and Mentallo uses his illusions to distract Nick Fury and the Thing long enough for them to make their escape. They explain to Deathlok that they learned of his existence when Mentallo happened to read Spider-Man's mind following his return to New York after an adventure through time. They also tell Deathlok that their intention is to use him to assassinate the President of the United States, who is to be inaugurated into office in the near future.
The Fantastic Four and Nick Fury, believing that this may be Mentallo and Fixer's intention, are guests at the inauguration ceremony. True enough, Mentallo, Fixer, and Deathlok arrive on the scene, Deathlok given a rifle to assassinate President Carter, however he tries to fight his programming the whole way. When Deathlok finally snaps, he apparently shoots the President.
The Fantastic Four and Nick Fury manage to defeat Mentallo, Fixer, and Deathlok shortly after and the dead "President" turns out to be the Impossible Man in disguise, who is alive and well. After the battle, Reed Richards takes Deathlok into his custody, and the inauguration ceremony continues as planned.
- Deathlok mentions being pulled out of time and space, this happened in Marvel Spotlight #33.
- This issue reveals that Mentallo was standing nearby when Spider-Man materialized back in New York City in Marvel Two-In-One #17. Spidey had just returned from a whirlwind trip through time that occurred in Marvel Team-Up #41-46. That's how he learned of Spider-Man's battle with Deathlok.
- References to the date being January 20, 1977 and the fact that Jimmy Carter is President of the United States should be considered topical references per the Sliding Timescale of Earth-616, relative to the date of publication.
- Deathlok recalls his origins that were first depicted in Astonishing Tales #25. He also mentions how he is trapped in his cyborg body for a "second time". He is referring to the events of Astonishing Tales #33, where he failed to have his mind transferred into a clone.
- Ben mentions how the Impossible Man saved them in the past. He is referring to Fantastic Four #175 when the Impossible Man sacrificed his homeworld to feed Galactus.
- No trivia.
Links and ReferencesEdit
|Like this? Let us know!|