Appearing in "The Coming of... Stegron the Dinosaur Man!"Edit
Races and Species:
- A "Flying Ark"
Synopsis for "The Coming of... Stegron the Dinosaur Man!"Edit
High over the sky over Antarctica, Spider-Man is being transported to the Savage Land by a SHIELD aircraft. Once they are over this prehistoric domain, Spider-Man jumps out of the plane, using his web-shooters to craft a parachute to slow his descent. As he drifts down, he reflects back on the turn of events that brought him to this moment.
Reading a classified advertisement asking for assistance, Spider-Man pays a visit to his old friend Curt Connors. Connors asks Spider-Man for help in tracking down his former assistant, Doctor Vincent Stegron. The pair were working on a project of cellular regeneration for SHIELD, using Dinosaur DNA to start with. Fearing that this would lead to a similar situation that results in the creation of another horror like the Lizard, Connors was disturbed to learn that Stegron stole their work and fled to the Savage Land. Connors asks Spider-Man to assist him in bringing Vincent back home. Spider-Man agreed to help, using a favor owed to him by Nick Fury in order to get a flight to this remote location.
Spider-Man ends his recollection just as he lands in the Savage Land and immediately begins looking for Vincent Stegron. No sooner has he arrived, the wall-crawler has to deal with the various dinosaurs that live in this primitive place. Just when it looks like Spider-Man has bitten off more than he can chew, he is rescued by Ka-Zar and his sabretooth tiger Zabu. Working together the pair manage to fend off the dinosaurs. With the danger over, the web-slinger brings Ka-Zar up to speed. Having heard of Stegron, telling Spider-Man that he started camping with the deadly Swamp-Men and has proclaimed himself the ruler of the dinosaurs. On their way to the village, they are attacked by an army of Swamp-Men. However, despite their best efforts Spider-Man and Ka-Zar are knocked out and taken prisoner by the Swamp-Men.
When they come to, they find themselves before a massive dinosaur shrine. Then, much to their horror, they are greeted by Vincent Stegron, who has mutated himself into a humanoid dinosaur. Stegron explains that with his new found power he plans on taking over the world and returning dinosaurs to dominance. When Ka-Zar attempts to talk sense into the Swamp-Men they are unwilling to listen to him. However, he manages to break free of his bonds, but while he is busy with freeing his allies and dealing with the Swamp-Men, Stegron makes his escape. The so-called Dinosaur Man flees to a massive transport ship and summons a horde of dinosaurs that he intends to unleash upon the outside world. Suddenly, Spider-Man and Ka-Zar catch up with Stegron. Their foe sends his dinosaur minions to fend them off. While they are distracted, Stegron makes his escape with a cargo load of dinosaurs. After Ka-Zar and Spider-Man wrap up the creatures they are fighting, Spider-Man hitches a ride on Stegron's ship in the hopes of stopping him.
- Spider-Man recalls his previous trip to the Savage Land. That happened in Amazing Spider-Man #103-104.
- Curt Connors fears that Stegron will become a menace like he was when he first became the Lizard years earlier. Connors first turned into the Lizard in Amazing Spider-Man #6. His reference to becoming the Lizard "years ago" should be considered a topical reference as it measures the time between publications. Per the Sliding Timescale of Earth-616, roughly two years has passed between Connor's first transformation and this story.
- Stegron's equipment was provided to him by They Who Weild Power, as revealed in Incredible Hulk #241.
- Ka-Zar's cover logo image is "flipped" and recycled art from Ka-Zar #1
- This issue contains a letters page, Mail It To Team-Up. Letters are published from Leslie Matyas, Verde, and Roger Flake. The letters page also contains a Series "A" Marvel Value Stamp #90 Hercules.
- The letters page also contains a 1/3 page ad for Sub-Mariner #69.
- No trivia.
Links and ReferencesEdit
- The Marvel Value Stamp Site 
|Like this? Let us know!|