- I ain't goin' back, Reed! Not yet, anyway! I figured you'd need somebody strong to keep bailin' you outta trouble, so I asked She-Hulk to take my place!
- -- Thing
Appearing in "...Nothing to Fear"Edit
- Fantastic Four
- Spider-Woman (Resurrected)
- Hulk (Resurrected)
- Spider-Man (Resurrected)
- Doctor Doom
- Klaw (Main story and flashback)
- Dr. Octopus
- Absorbing Man
- Wrecking Crew
- Molecule Man
- Ultron (Destroyed)
- Water elemental
Races and Species:
- Section of Denver (floating in space)
- Asgard (Only in flashback)
- City of Asgard (Only in flashback)
- Doctor Octopus's Tentacles
- Mjolnir (Main story and flashback)
- Captain America's Shield
- Captain America's Uniform
- Hawkeye's Bow
- Spider-Man's Black Suit
- Cyclops Visor
- Iron Man Armor (Enhanced by Omnivore tech)
- Doctor Doom's Armor
- Wrecker's Crowbar
- Absorbing Man's Ball and Chain
- Magneto's Helmet
Synopsis for "...Nothing to Fear"Edit
For daring to unite against the omnipotent power of Doctor Doom the heroes on Battleworld have been annihilated for their defiance. Seeing the smoldering wreckage of Doombase is Zsaji and her people who rush to the location to see what befell the champions who defended them against the evil beset upon them. From his new home at the Tower of Doom, Doctor Doom assures Klaw that he has slain the heroes and they will not stand in his way again, that his is certain. Meanwhile, millions of miles away, the villains who were brought to Battleworld are transporting the city of Denver back to Earth thanks to the enhanced powers of the Molecule Man. Curious as to what is happening on Battleworld, the Enchantress summons a water sprite from Marsha Rosenberg's bathtub and has it reveal what has happened on Battleworld since their departure. It reveals to her that the Beyonder has seemingly perished and Doctor Doom has stolen his power. The Enchantress hopes for a moment of vulnerability so she can strike at Doom before he can use his power against her. When the Lizard begins to freak out, the Enchantress uses the distraction to call out to Volcana in order to make her pay for helping her reach the Molecule Man earlier in the Secret Wars when he was injured and she wanted to be by his side. Taking Marsha to a nearby park, Amora intends to steal her life force in order to gain additional power. Meanwhile, the Molecule Man fights it out with Doctor Octopus who has come to doubt his ability to get them home. After Owen restrains Otto, the Lizard points out that Marsha is missing. They find her in the Enchantress' clutches and attack. When Amora tries to teleport back to Battleworld, the Lizard leaps at her and is transported there as well. When the Lizard slashes her face, the Enchantress absorbs his life force in order to return to Asgard.
Meanwhile, Doctor Doom slumbers and while he does Klaw tries to get close to him but Doom quickly awakens. Klaw then begins instilling doubt in Doom's mind, telling him that he may not have killed the heroes as he thought. Doom plays into this and Klaw creates a hologram showing the healer Zsaji using her power to revive Colossus, dying in the process. Heartbroken, Colossus brings his fellow heroes back to Doombase and uses the medical devices there to revive the others. Doom denies this theory, even when Klaw suggests that he subconsciously did not want them to die. When Doom continues to deny this, suddenly he is proven wrong when Thor's hammer comes crashing through the wall. Doom's power flares out of control destroying a nearby planet. With the heroes about to besiege him, he listens to Klaw's suggestion of giving him a portion of his power to deal with the heroes. Klaw is given a fraction of Doom's stolen power and he goes out to face the heroes. Using this new power he creates monsters for them to fight as well as a rebuilt Ultron. The Thing slugs it out with one of the monsters when suddenly he starts to revert back to Ben Grimm, through sheer force of will he prevents his transformation, cementing the idea in his mind that Battleworld allows him to change back and forth. Elsewhere on the battle field, Ultron has some of the others on the ropes when suddenly he blows up. The reason why becomes apparent when the Wasp emerges from his ruined shell, having used her biostings to damage his vulnerable internal components.
As the battle rages on, Captain America gets past the monsters and Klaw to confront Doctor Doom directly. Doom tries to atomize Captain America, but the hero suddenly reappears every time he tries to destroy him. This causes Doom's power to flare out of control, what Klaw -- or rather the being possessing him -- has planned all along. When Doom is finally in a weakened state, the Beyonder emerges from Klaw's body and reclaims his stolen power, restoring Doom back to his normal state and banishing both he and Klaw away. With the Secret Wars no officially over, the heroes regroup back at Doombase to try and figure out a way to get back home. There, Colossus has a funeral for Zsaji and weeps over her grave. Later, Spider-Man finds that the X-Men have created new costumes for themselves. When he sees the others doing so as well he finds it curious that they are not using the same machine where he got his new uniform. The Hulk's leg is broken and Mister Fantastic binds it in a metal brace. As the heroes rest after their victory they are surprised when Curt Connors -- having reverted back to human form from the Lizard -- arrives. When this happy reunion between Connors and Spider-Man is happening, Nightcrawler wishes that Kitty's dragon Lockheed would return. Almost as if on cue, Lockheed does return with another small dragon in tow. Mister Fantastic meets with the others and explains that residual energies from the Beyonder are what is causing the strange series of "wish fulfillment" that they have experienced recently. Hearing this, Captain America goes into a back room with his shattered shield and is happy to see that he is able to repair it through sheer force of will.
Soon Mister Fantastic is able to cobble together a device that will allow him to teleport them all back home. First he sends back the Hulk, Magneto, Spider-Man, Curt Connors and Spider-Woman. Next are the X-Men after Professor X console Colossus over the loss of Zsaji, convincing him to come back with them so her sacrifice is not in vein. As Mister Fantastic prepares to teleport them away, the strange dragon that followed Lockheed flies into the teleportation beam, causing some strange feedback, leaving the rest to wonder what will happen to them when they return to Earth. Before the Avengers prepare to return home as well, the Thing arrives with She-Hulk, who is wearing a Fantastic Four costume. Ben explains to Reed and Johnny that he intends to stay on Battleworld for a while to enjoy the ability to change back and forth between human and Thing forms and has selected She-Hulk as his replacement on the team. After the Avengers teleport off, Ben insists that he is staying. Reed thinks briefly for a moment about telling Ben what he knows about his transformations and thinks against it, hoping he will discover the truth in time. Before going, Reed passes Ben the teleportation device so that Ben can use it whenever he is ready to return home. After Mister Fantastic, the Torch and She-Hulk are teleported away, Ben begins the first steps of his greatest adventure yet.
- As revealed in Deadpool's Secret Secret Wars #1 the mercenary known as Deadpool was also among the heroes gathered among the heroes. It was later revealed in the 4th issue of that series that the Wasp wished everyone to forget Deadpool's involvement. The entire series takes place from a narrative standpoint after the events of last issue with flashbacks to earlier in the event. In the "present" time Deadpool is seen collecting Zsaji to help resurrect the heroes. According to Deadpool's account, all the heroes died and Zsaji perished after reviving only Colossus and Mister Fantastic. Also according to this tale Reed was only able to resurrect the other heroes using Deadpool's enhanced healing factor. Deadpool is also depicted as being part of the final battle. He also states that before he returned to Earth he used the wish-fullfillment abilities of Battleworld to restore Zsaji to life and put her and her people somewhere where they can't get hurt anymore.
- After being defeated here, Doctor Doom is transported back to the "future" in Fantastic Four #288 by the future Beyonder. At the time of the Secret Wars, Doctor Doom was believed to be dead after his battle with Tyros the Tamer in Fantastic Four #260 and had to be pulled from a future time. Although Doom was briefly sidetracked in Marvel 1985 #1 when he was briefly pulled into Earth-1219.
- The aftermath of Secret Wars left a lot of major changes that ultimately were undone over time or came back to haunt the heroes of Earth:
- As revealed in New Avengers: Illuminati Vol 2 #3, Professor X leaves Battleworld believing that the Beyonder is an Inhuman/Mutant hybrid. Since New Avengers Vol 3 #33 disputes this, it was likely a trick the Beyonder played on Xavier and his fellow Illuminati.
- Spider-Man's black costume is revealed to be a living symbiote in Amazing Spider-Man #258. He eventually is forced to try and kill it in Web of Spider-Man #1. It then found its way back to Wade Wilson in Deadpool: Back in Black #1. It was later recovered and brought back to the life by the Intelligencia as seen in Fall of the Hulks: Alpha #1 and later bonded to Eddie Brock in Amazing Spider-Man #299 creating Venom.
- Iron Man's armor modifications are dumped in Iron Man #183 it eventually evolves into the Carnivor and battles Quasar in Quasar #8.
- The Hulk's leg cast is ditched almost at at the end of Incredible Hulk #296.
- Puff turns into a massive menace forcing the X-Men to kill the dragon in Uncanny X-Men #181.
- Captain America repairing his shield through force of will is not as flawless as it seems. Years later in Captain America Vol 3 #21-22 the imperfections threatened to destroy the world supply of Vibranium until Cap could fix the damage.
- The Thing stayed behind on Battleworld because he thought that he could control his ability to transform back and forth from human to Thing primarily because of Battleworld; however, earlier in Fantastic Four #245 Reed theorized that Ben always had this ability but a psychological issue prevented those transformations. Ben's re-evaluation of his relationship with Alicia Masters between Thing #2-10 allowed these transformations. Ben ultimately lost the power to change back and was trapped in his Thing form following the events of Thing #22. He learned that Johnny was now dating "Alicia" in Fantastic Four #277 (or more specifically Lyja -- a Skrull spy posing as Alicia who took her place in Fantastic Four #265 -- as revealed in Fantastic Four #358) and in Thing #23 that Reed was keeping his ability to transform a secret. Ben quit the Fantastic Four for a time, but eventually rejoined the group in Fantastic Four #296.
- Ultron's head also remains on Battleworld, except for a briefly being pulled to Earth-1219 in Marvel 1985 #3. His head is recovered by the Thing in Thing #22 and returned to Earth in Fantastic Four #277.
- This issue is reprinted in comics and books, see references for more info.
- No trivia.
Links and ReferencesEdit
|Like this? Let us know!|