Appearing in "Cry: Monster!"Edit
- New York State
- Ghost Town
- Xantha (Only in flashback)
- New Xanth (Only in flashback) (First appearance)
Synopsis for "Cry: Monster!"Edit
The story opens with the Thing destroying one of Mr. Fantastic's inventions, which is revealed to be another attempt at returning the Thing to his human form. Grimm states that he could not stand another failure, and is left alone. He reflects on his origin as Kurrgo reads his thoughts from a space craft in Earth’s orbit. Kurrgo retells his own story, revealing that since being abandoned on Xantha he traveled to the new world of his former servants, where he was warded off by their advanced technology. Kurrgo then traveled to Earth in an attempt to use the planet’s strongest creature to control New Xanth. The Leader blocked his attempt to recruit the Hulk, and the two villains agreed to stage a contest between the Thing and the Hulk, with the winner’s patron gaining the use of both titans.
They trick the Thing into attacking the nearby Hulk, and after the two battle, Kurrgo and the Leader try to transport the Hulk to their ship when it is determined by them that the Hulk would be the victor. Thing hitches along for the ride, and when the two are before both Kurrgo and the Leader, Thing realizes that the whole thing was a trick. The two then attack Kurrgo's robot, knocking it into the ship's controls. They manage to escape just before the ship explodes, seemingly destroying Kurrgo and the Leader. Afterwards the Thing and the Hulk part company.
- The reason why the Invisible Girl is not among the members of the Fantastic Four in this story is that, at the time, she and Mister Fantastic separated circa Fantastic Four #130, the couple eventually reconcile in Fantastic Four #149.
- On the second panel of page 3, the artwork is designed as a homage to the cover of Fantastic Four #51.
- The Thing recounts the origins of the Fantastic Four as it was originally presented in Fantastic Four #1. Some facts:
- In this story, as well as Fantastic Four #1, it's stated that the rocket flight was to beat the Soviet Union in the Space Race. However per the Sliding Timescale of Earth-616, this should be considered a Topical Reference. The reason for the space flight was later revised in Fantastic Four #236 which excises all the Cold War themes from the Fantastic Four's origins, stating that the mission was to test out a new "Star Drive".
- Ben's recollection shows him transforming into the Thing, appearing in his trademark rock-like form. However, this is not accurate, as when Ben first transformed in Fantastic Four #1 he had a lizard like hide. As explained in Marvel Two-In-One #50, the Thing continued to mutate into his more familiar rock-like form around Fantastic Four #10.
- Kurrgo recalls his last encounter with the Fantastic Four from Fantastic Four #7.
- The Leader is totally paralyzed here because he was caught in an explosion in Incredible Hulk #157, the Leader eventually cures himself of this condition as seen in Incredible Hulk #224.
- The Thing mentions the last time he battled the Hulk back in Fantastic Four #112.
The two have been feuding for years. At the time of this story, the Thing and the Hulk have clashed many times. These clashes are as follows: To date the pair have clashed in Fantastic Four #12, Fantastic Four #25-26, Incredible Hulk #122, Fantastic Four: World's Greatest Comics Magazine #5, Fantastic Four #112, and Incredible Hulk #153.
- Cover art: the Hulk image was later used for marketing purposes on one of the character's 1977 Slurpee Cups.
- The Thing replaces Ant-Man as the main character for this series. However, next issue will be the final one of this series. The Thing quickly becomes the star of a much longer running series in Marvel Two-In-One.
- As seen on page one this issue is Story#1454-Z
- This issue does not contain a letters page. In it's place is a full page cover reproduction advertisement for Conan Special #1.
- This issue is reprinted in other comics and books, see references for more info.
- No trivia.
Links and ReferencesEdit
|Like this? Let us know!|