Mangog, or "The Mangog" as it originally referred to itself, is the sum total of the hatred of a billion beings that were once killed by the ruler of Asgard and the Norse Gods, Odin. Imprisoned deep beneath Asgard, Mangog was accidentally freed by the Rock Troll Ulik, and went on to wage war against Odin and the other Norse Gods on several occasions. Mangog proved to be physically unstoppable, and is usually only defeated when his dependence on psychic energies (such as hatred, fear, or feelings of devotion) felt by other sentient beings to sustain itself is exploited. Without such a source, Mangog shrinks to near nothingness.
While usually acting independently, Mangog also assists the Titan Thanos in a quest for universal domination, but is ultimately stopped by the Thunder God Thor. Thor eventually ends the threat of Mangog entirely: having inherited the Odin Force and Rune magic of Earth, Thor simply dissolved an attacking Mangog with a wave of his hand.
However, when multi-billionaire genius and possible demi-god Adam Mann attempted to draw his father - whoever that was - to Earth, the Mangog manifested instead. Although he was banished through the efforts of the new Thunderstrike, he stated he could never be destroyed so long as hatred endures.
Mangog unexpectedly appeared in Old Asgard and encountered Volstagg, who had lifted the Mjolnir of a dead world to become the War Thor, and Thor's goat Toothgnasher. Mangog killed Toothgnasher by ripping his head off, and then raged that he would bring about the ultimate judgment upon the Asgardians before charging at Volstagg, claiming he would be the first to perish.
|Power Grid |
|* Heightened Energy Projection when accessing Asgardians' life energies|
Mangog possesses various superhuman physical and energy manipulative abilities.
Mystical and Psionic Energies: Mangog's draws any and all of his superhuman powers from the mystical and psionic energies that are manifested in the hatred and desire for vengeance that are felt by himself or by others.
- Superhuman Strength: Mangog possess vast superhuman strength, the sum totality of a billion billion beings. His physical strength easily by far exceeds that of Thor. Hence, he is far above the class 100 level.
- Superhuman Speed: In spite of his great height and body mass, Mangog is capable of running and moving at speeds that are beyond the physical limits of the finest human athlete.
- Superhuman Stamina: Mangog's advanced musculature produces no fatigue toxins during physical activity. As a result, as long as he is able to psionically feed off the energy manifested by vengeful thoughts, he possesses an limitless physical stamina.
- Superhuman Durability: Mangog's body is far harder and more durable than the body of an Asgardian God. His body is highly resistant to all forms of conventional injury. He can withstand powerful impact forces, exposure to extremes of both temperature and pressure, falls from tremendous heights, and tremendously powerful energy blasts without sustaining injury.
- Superhuman Agility: Mangog's agility, balance, and bodily coordination are all enhanced to levels that are beyond the natural physical limits of even the finest human athlete.
- Superhuman Reflexes: Mangog's reflexes are similarly enhanced and are superior to those of the finest human athlete.
- Energy Manipulation: Mangog is able to manipulate vast amounts of mystical energy for numerous purposes, though they're used almost always for destructive purposes. The most commonly seen of these include the ability to manipulate most substances on a molecular level and to fire massively powerful blasts of concussive force from his hands.
Although Mangog has had no training in combat, the sheer scope of his physical and energy manipulative capabilities make him a highly formidable combatant, even against beings as powerful as Thor and Odin.
Mangog's powers, in fact his very life itself, is connected to the energies that he feeds from. Mangog will shrink or seemingly vanish if deprived of those mystical and psionic energies.
- The exact nature of the Mangog has never actually been revealed and is unclear. He has often been called a demon, suggesting that he is a supernatural being parasitically dependent on the mystic and psionic energies of other sentient beings. It is also possible that Mangog is a minor abstract entity incarnating the hatred felt by the alien race, and later, by himself. In that case he may be an avatar of the conceptual entity Hate in a way that is similar to the relationship between the godlike entity Cyttorak and the Juggernaut.
- 39 Appearances of Mangog (Earth-616)
- 4 Minor Appearances of Mangog (Earth-616)
- Media Mangog (Earth-616) was Mentioned in
- 15 Images featuring Mangog (Earth-616)
- 2 Quotations by or about Mangog (Earth-616)
- Character Gallery: Mangog (Earth-616)
Discover and Discuss
- Search this site for:
|Like this? Let us know!|