- Oh god, have we come up with a better name than "The Lights"?
- -- Zero
Hope and the X-Men have raced around the world to save these young mutants. Now with their powers stabilized, The Lights are the hope for the future of the mutant race. Under the direction of Hope and with the consent of Cyclops, the Lights have been begun training as a rescue team for any other new mutant manifestations.
While still settling into life on Utopia, and experimenting with their powers, the Lights were called to their first mission: investigating a new mutant manifestation in Berlin. Although they encountered some setbacks, the team was able to pull together, convince the Sixth Light to be born, stabilize his powers and save Berlin from his mind control.
When the team arrived from Germany, they were greeted by the news that the Macik's want their son Teon back. While awaiting the trial and in an effort to distract her team from the looming legal proceedings, Hope insisted on adopting codenames. Later despite his normally animalistic nature, Teon was able to eloquently offer a sound case of why he needed to stay with Hope and the X-Men. Immediately after the trial, Laurie and Kenji began to speculate on the reason all of the Lights (themselves included) seemed to be so drawn to following Hope.
After the events in Germany and Teon's trial, Hope and her team continued to train and prepare for more new mutant activations around the world. Thanks to the Stepford Cuckoos monitoring in Cerebra, Hope and the Lights were alerted almost immediately of activation of the Seventh Light's powers. They left quickly, but arrive just after Zee had committed suicide. The whole team took the death very hard.
Schism and Regenesis
After Kid Omega's attack on the United Nations, anti-mutant sentiment began to rise and world leaders began reactivating Sentinels. Meanwhile, in San Francisco, Mayor Sinclair expedite the grand opening of the Museum of Mutant History. Unfortunately, Kade Kilgore and his Hellfire Club used this opportunity to attack the X-Men. Despite Wolverine's objections, Cyclops ordered Idie to stop the Hellfire Club by killing them. These event lead to a giant super-Sentinel nearly destroying Utopia, and Cyclops and Wolverine parting ways because of philosophical differences.
Already emotionally drained, tempers flared after Hope interrupted a kiss between Pixie and Gabriel. Later, Hope convinced Pixie to join the team to help them solve their transportation problem to prevent another Zeeshan from occurring. No-Girl also joined the team, invited by Kenji.
Getting anxiety to find a new mutant, Hope misinterpreted a light near the Chinese border of Pakistan as a new mutant manifestation. Hope scrabbled her team, but when they arrived they found an amnesiac Sebastian Shaw strapped to a suicide bomb. During the explosion No-Girl's tank was damaged leaving her unsustained and exposed. However, Zero acted quickly and created a body for her. The team narrowly escaped with Shaw from Jin Billion and his Butchers.
Shaw's return to Utopia caused high tensions. While Emma and Cyclops debated the fate of Shaw, several formal Morlocks confronted the Lights. To end the feuding, Hope forcibly took control of and pushed Zero's powers to their limits without his permission and much to his disapproval.
While Hope studying the information about Shaw's past given her by Cyclops, Zero began to finalize his plans to betray and murder Hope. For weeks Zero had been telepathically subtly turning Utopians against Hope. Zero was even able to influence Emma Frost into telepathically distracting Cyclops. As mind-controlled mutants converged on Hope, the remaining Lights came to her aid. The Lights were able to fight off the other mutants as Hope and No-Girl combined their powers to kill Zero.
During a debriefing session, Shaw was fully inducted and reconciled some of the problems they had been facing.
Avengers vs. X-Men
When the Avengers arrived enforce on Utopia to take Hope into custody before the arrival of the Phoenix, Cyclops and the X-Men forcibly tried to stop them. During the melee, Hope escaped, but the Lights and young X-Men were left as Cyclops and many of his X-Men fled. Not wanting the younger X-Men to join the war, the Avengers decided to quarantine them at the Avengers Compound with the Avengers Academy. However, the teenage mutants didn't want to remain in custody, and were eventually allowed to leave. The Lights returned to Utopia in search of Hope, but when they couldn't find her they joined the other young mutants in Westchester at Jean Grey School For Higher Learning.
The Lights were functionally disbanded with the departure of Hope and the enrollment of the remaining members into the Jean Grey School.
- The locations of the Lights thus far:
- Hope Summers in Cooperstown, Alaska
- Laurie Tromette in Vancouver, Canada
- Gabriel Cohuelo in Mexico City, Mexico
- Idie Okonkwo in Oyo, Delta State, Nigeria
- Teon Macik in Kiev, Ukraine
- Kenji Uedo in Tokyo, Japan
- Sixth Light in Berlin, Germany
- Zeeshan in Sheffield, United Kingdom
- Creators Matt Fraction and Kieron Gillen loosely based the Five Lights mutant powers on the the archetypal power-sets on the original five X-Men (with the exception of Gabriel).
- Although Kitty Pryde was acting liaison to the Lights for a time, Hope has made it clear she was not part of the team and was to serve in a purely advisory capacity.
- The X-Men were first made aware of the Lights in X-Men: Second Coming #2, the first Light appeared on panel in Uncanny X-Men #526, worked as a team through much of Uncanny X-Men #526-529 and Generation Hope #1-4 , and they became an officially sanctioned X-Team with Cyclops' permission in Generation Hope #5.
- Many of The Lights come from the same geographic regions or nations as the All New, All Different X-Men team:
- Hope Summers and Cyclops were both born in Alaska
- Laurie Tromette and Wolverine were both discovered in Canada.
- Idie Okonkwo and Storm both come from Africa though from Nigeria and Kenya respectively.
- Teon originally comes from Ukraine while Colossus comes from Russia.
- Both Kenji Uedo and Sunfire are Japan natives.
- Sixth Light was born in Berlin, Germany and Nightcrawler hails from Germany.
- Gabriel Cohuelo born and raised in Mexico City and (though it is a weak connection) Thunderbird was from an Apache reservation in Arizona in the American southwest.
- Zeeshan was discovered in United Kingdom while Banshee was born in Ireland.
- Pixie, No-Girl, Sebastian Shaw were the only members of the team to have their powers prior to M-Day.
- 12 Lights (Earth-616) Members
- 41 Appearances of Lights (Earth-616)
- Minor Appearances of Lights (Earth-616)
- Media Lights (Earth-616) was Mentioned in
- 31 Images that include Lights (Earth-616)
- Team Gallery: Lights (Earth-616)
Links and References
- ↑ Uncanny X-Men Vol 2 #1
- ↑ 2.0 2.1 2.2 2.3 2.4 2.5 X-Men: Second Coming #2
- ↑ Uncanny X-Men #526-529
- ↑ Generation Hope #1-4
- ↑ 5.0 5.1 Generation Hope #5
- ↑ 6.0 6.1 6.2 6.3 6.4 Generation Hope #6
- ↑ Generation Hope #7
- ↑ Generation Hope #8
- ↑ 9.0 9.1 Generation Hope #9
- ↑ X-Men: Schism #1
- ↑ X-Men: Schism #2-5
- ↑ Generation Hope #10-11
- ↑ X-Men: Regenesis #1
- ↑ 14.0 14.1 14.2 Generation Hope #12
- ↑ 15.0 15.1 Generation Hope #13
- ↑ Generation Hope #14
- ↑ Generation Hope #15-#16
- ↑ Generation Hope #16
- ↑ 19.0 19.1 Generation Hope #17
- ↑ Avengers Academy #29
- ↑ Avengers Academy #30-#31
- ↑ Uncanny X-Men Vol 2 #13
- ↑ 23.0 23.1 Wolverine & the X-Men #15
- ↑ 24.0 24.1 Uncanny X-Men #529
- ↑ 25.0 25.1 Generation Hope #1
- ↑ X-Men: Messiah Complex #1
- ↑ Uncanny X-Men #526
- ↑ Uncanny X-Men #527
- ↑ Uncanny X-Men #528
- ↑ X-POSITION: Kieron Gillen