In 1942, the Red Skull had kidnapped and brainwashed the Invaders, with only Bucky evading capture. Bucky, realizing the danger that a German-friendly Invaders posed, sent out a call for help to all the other available superheroes. Several of them came forward to help him: the Patriot, the Whizzer, Miss America, the Red Raven, the Thin Man, the Blue Diamond, and Jack Frost.This group called themselves the "Liberty Legion" and successfully freed the Invaders from the Red Skull's grasp. After the Skull's defeat, the Liberty Legion decided to remain together and act as the homefront equivalent of the Invaders.
They continued to fight various threats in the U.S. during the War, from crime to German sympathizers, and even encountered a time-traveling Thing at one point. The Invaders and the Legion joined forces again to fight the Iron Cross, after which the Whizzer and Miss America left the Legion to join the Invaders.
Equipment: None known.
Transportation: None known.
Weapons: None known.
- Even though the team consisted of heroes from Marvel's 1940s Golden Age predecessor, Timely Comics, the team was assembled and named by writer Roy Thomas in 1976.
- The Thin Man went on to co-star in the 2004-05 series the New Invaders.
- The Whizzer recalls how he and Namor fought side-by-side in the Liberty Legion in Avengers #156 page 6 panel 6
- 8 Liberty Legion (WWII) (Earth-616) Members
- 21 Appearances of Liberty Legion (WWII) (Earth-616)
- 1 Media Liberty Legion (WWII) (Earth-616) was Mentioned in
- 1 Images that include Liberty Legion (WWII) (Earth-616)
- Team Gallery: Liberty Legion (WWII) (Earth-616)