The Hydra was the spawn of of the Titan Typhon and Echidna, the snake-goddess. Typhon was imprisoned under Mount Aetna after attacking the Olympian gods and Echidna fled to Arcadia where she gave birth to a host of numerous incredible creatures, each one more foul than the last. After Echidna was killed by Argus, the original sentry of Olympus, the Hydra found a home in the swamps of Lerna where it grew to immense size preying upon travelers through the region.
Fin Fang Foom
In 1271, B.C. as part of his Twelve Labors, Hercules was sent by King Eurystheus of Mycenae as his second labor to kill the nine-headed Hydra at Lerna. Driving it out of the swamp with burning arrows, he quickly learned it grew two new heads for each one severed. With the help of Iolaus, Hercules used heated brands to cauterize each head and prevent new heads from forming. Burning the rest of the creature’s body, he collected enough of its venom to dip its arrows within and render them that much more potent. However, King Eurystheus later realized that Hercules had too much help from Iolaus in defeating the Hydra and refused to count this as one of the labors: After the tenth labor, he would add more labors.
Whilst on Argonauts' Quest for the Golden Fleece they were attacked by another Hydra. Hercules cut off it's head and pours a sealant on its neck, preventing it from regenerating. Eurytus praised Hercules that he always was the smartest one of them.
- Head Regeneration: For each head that it lost, it could regenerate two heads to replace the one which was lost. Its venom was particularly lethal. Considering it could lose its heads so easily, it may not have had a very dense or hard external body to protect it from harm.
- It might have been able to change color as a defense mechanism considering its various skin tones seen so far. 
- It also might have had near-sentient intelligence.
- Fire: It was vulnerable to fire since cauterizing its wounds from its severed heads prevented extra heads from growing back.
- 10 Appearances of Lernean Hydra (Earth-616)
- 5 Minor Appearances of Lernean Hydra (Earth-616)
- Media Lernean Hydra (Earth-616) was Mentioned in
- 5 Images featuring Lernean Hydra (Earth-616)
- Quotations by or about Lernean Hydra (Earth-616)
- Character Gallery: Lernean Hydra (Earth-616)
Discover and Discuss
- Search this site for:
- ↑ Thor & Hercules: Encyclopaedia Mythologica #1; Typhon's entry
- ↑ Hercules Vol 3 #3
- ↑ 3.0 3.1 3.2 3.3 3.4 Official Handbook of the Marvel Universe A-Z #8
- ↑ Fin Fang Four Return! #1
- ↑ 5.0 5.1 5.2 Incredible Hercules #113
- ↑ Hercules Vol 3 #1
- ↑ Avengers #43-44
- ↑ Thor and the Warriors Four #2
- ↑ Incredible Hulk: Hercules Unleashed #1
- ↑ Strange Tales #135
- ↑ Thor #356
- ↑ Incredible Hulk #198
|Like this? Let us know!|