- Push me. I'm ready.
- -- Laurie Tromette src
She once got in trouble, while in high school: Her friend Melanie got her to hang out with some "cool kids" who were racing cars. Trying to fit in, Laurie raced as well but lost control, and Melanie was wounded, barely surviving. Laurie lost both her friendship with her, and the trust of her parents.
The First Light
After graduation, Laurie moved to Vancouver, Canada, to attend college. At nineteen years old, without warning, her X-Gene activated, and her body started undergoing a painful change. Her hair started falling out, her bones hurt, and her skin became hard, blue and cold. She hid herself away, and spent days in a confused panic.
She was located by the X-Men using Cerebra. The X-Men sent Iceman and Angel to watch over her from afar. Finally, the pain became too great, and Laurie decided to kill herself by jumping off a tall building. The X-Men arrived on the scene, along with Hope Summers, who was returning from her trip to Alaska to discover her roots. Laurie threw herself off the roof, and Hope jumped after her, grabbing her in midair. Once in physical contact with Hope, Laurie's mutation completed itself. She manifested blue skin, facial markings, and the power of flight. Also, the clothes she was wearing mysteriously disappeared. She felt instantly better, like a brand new person. She committed herself to following Hope Summers wherever she went, turning her back on her normal life.
The Five Lights
Laurie joined Hope and the X-Men as they continued to rescue to the other Lights. The team traveled to Mexico to stabilize Gabriel, supporting Hope to convince the his parents to let her help, then to Nigeria to save Idie, then across Europe and finally to Florida while tracking Teon. Later the group traveled to Tokyo, Japan to stop Kenji's rampage. Although very reluctant, Laurie aided Hope as she ignored Cyclops' orders, and saved Kenji.
Once the Lights arrived on Utopia, X-Club's Doctor Nemesis began testing the Lights' powers, and discovered Laurie was not only capable of flight, but also of transonic speed, and that her body would "alter to give [her], frankly freakish maneuverability". Laurie agreed to stay on Utopia, and continued to follow Hope, troubled by her rebellious attitude, while being committed to her own training and learning. She was also seemingly affected by Emma Frost's statement that Hope would be the end of them.
Meanwhile, the C.S.I.S (Canadian Security Intelligence Service) sent inquiries to Steve Rogers, who stated they were presumably intending to recruit Laurie among the "depleted ranks" of Alpha Flight, and recommended to Scott Summers to keep on good basis with the Canadian Government regarding to her.
While being a newly activated mutant, Laurie was although affected as well as other mutants by the HX-N1, meaning that Sublime Corporation somehow managed to acquire data on her and adapt it to the "X-Flu".
Along with Idie, she convinced Hope to quit her hobbies (taking care of her guns) and instead go shopping, only for the three girls to get attacked by Crimson Commando's troops and Hope captured. Laurie was the one to speed to Utopia, for her to warn the X-Men.
The Sixth Light
With a desire to master her powers and learn her limits, Laurie continued training and testing with Doctor Nemesis and Storm, those tests showing her shape-shifting ability. Laurie accompanied the team on their first mission to Berlin to find a new mutant, and fully developed her shape-shifting. She was the key to the victory, managing to understand the new mutant's logic, but was unable to make the unborn from accepting to birth.
When Zeeshan activated, the Lights were dispatched, but he committed suicide, sending a telepathic pain to the team, seemingly as part of a link bonding the Lights together, and Laurie decided to speed up on her own, only to find him dead.
While Sentinels were unleashed over the world, Laurie decided to go the opening of the Museum of Mutant History with Idie, as she thought she had to learn more about the mutant culture, a night when the Hellfire Club attacked.
After Idie killed the attackers Laurie and Hope argued about what role she could have had in preventing it. At the end of that argument, Laurie shouted loud the feeling she had about Hope's influence on the Lights, and was shocked to hear Idie react as a heartless murderer.
Once back to Utopia, Laurie took care of Oya, and, realizing that the island was protected only by the students and Cyclops stop the giant Sentinel heading to the Island, they had to organize the evacuation in the lack of Blackbirds. As Hope was stating that they had to stay and fight, Laurie was forced by her influence, but resisted, launching a brawl among the Lights who was stopped only by Idie's speech. Laurie then reluctantly agreed to stand the line, while having already decided that Idie had to be taken off Utopia for her own sake. She also had a brief talk with Zero about taking down Hope once for all.
They were joined by the young X-Men Prodigy, Anole, Dust and Rockslide who gathered to fight, and after the first argument between Wolverine and Cyclops, she remained on the front line with her teammates, but flee as the rest when Wolverine threatened to blow off Utopia.
After the Schism, Laurie remained in Utopia but as she wanted get Idie away from Hope, she went so far as to point a gun at Hope, at that moment Hope started to talk about her father, and after a conversation, Laurie managed to convince Hope to agree to let Idie go with Wolverine. That decision of Hope made Laurie slightly change her mind, and break from Zero's project to take the Mutant Savior down. Trance started to have some feeling for Kenji but was spotted by both him and Hope.
During the first time of the new Utopia, Laurie assisted to class of combat with Psylocke among other students, and to the arrival of an alternate Storm (unknown to Laurie) and her fight with Cyclops before both left.
The Lights, along with the recruits Surge and Surge, intercepted Exodus when he was heading to kill Cyclops and confronted to Wolverine's X-Men, as the call sent to the Extinction Team and the other X-Men were already responding to another crisis, forcing Hope to take only the remaining children.
During the mission near the Chinese border of Pakistan to find a new Light, in fact Sebastian Shaw, this one detonated his explosive belts and she was saved as well as the other Lights by Kenji. Along her teammates, she fought Jin Billion and his goons.
Trance was revolted by the X-Men treatment when they came back with Sebastian Shaw who was immediately attacked and imprisoned, but didn't found much approval from Gabriel, clearly concerned by the fact he was burning his life using his powers. Instants later, Litterbug, Bliss, Dragoness, Random and Erg showed up, claiming that all the attention were on them although they were themselves fighters of mutantkind, to which Laurie answered to Dragoness that she was left out because she was an ex-M.L.F. terrorist, launching a fight between the two groups. After Hope stopped the fight using her mimicry powers or her influence over the Lights, Laurie had troubles to sleep through the night.
As Kenji came back about his project to took down Hope, Trance was more reluctant, but was still furious of Hope's influence on her. She then assisted to Hope's crucifixion, without being controlled by Kenji, and rebelled about his intentions of killing her. She was timely saved by the other Lights who engaged a brawl with the mind-controlled Utopians. Once Kenji dead, Shaw integrated, both Laurie and Hope settled their oppositions and agreed to made things work better in the team.
When the Peak VII suffered a massive break-out of alien prisoners, Unit mimicked the signature of a new Light, forcing Hope to separate from her Extinction Team duty to assemble her Lights and go on rescue. Soon realizing the trap, Laurie and the other were teleported by Pixie while under Unit's control, and put to sleep by his powers.
When the Avengers invaded Utopia, Hope was handed by Emma Frost to the Lights and recruits, for them to prevent her from leaving. Laurie was the fourth of them to had her nose broken by Hope who was furious of the situation. Using her Phoenix power, Hope then defeat alled her teammates, then the Avengers Wolverine and Spider-Man, before leaving.
Protective Services / The Search for Hope
The Lights and recruits along with most of the X-Club were left behind by the X-Men, and sent to the Avengers Compound of Los Angeles, school of the Avengers Academy. Hercules proposed to keep up the Avengers vs. X-Men war by throwing Olympic games, and Transonic competed against Lightspeed, and slightly lost, but had started the race an instant after her Avenger adversary.
Along most with her teammates, she tried to breach from the Campus and were blocked by some of the Avengers students, while others (the mutant but also others) students joined the X-Men side. The arrival of Juston Seyfert and his Sentinel made another redistribution of the forces, much to Laurie's annoyance.
As Sebastian Shaw escaped and came to the students, thought by everybody that he was intending to slay the X-students, Hazmat blast him, but was attacked by Transonic, herself beaten by Mettle, launching a new brawl. Both Finesse and X-23's abilities discovered that Shaw wasn't intending to kill the mutants, but help them escape. After a fake battle between the Avengers and X-Men (with Avengers on both sides) (in order to prevent any suspicion against the faculty), the mutants were free to leave. Laurie decided she wanted to find back Hope, to back her up, and settle for the opposition there had been between them. Both Gabriel and Teon agreed to follow her.
The four Lights arrived on Utopia, and found a note of Hope stating simply "Sorry. Ask Unit.", making them to visit the robot, who tell him a story he had witnessed a billion years ago about a Phoenix Messiah and her Five Lights, and that he was interested to see what would happen if a Phoenix Messiah hadn't her Lights with her. As Gabriel was intending to get Idie and found Hope, and Laurie was arguing about the fact Kenji was dead, Unit used Danger to take Pixie and the rest of the team down, asphyxiating Laurie with a hard light cube around her head. The Lights were left by Danger on a beach under the Golden Gate Bridge, having been implanted new memories that they had received injuries the escape of the Avengers Compound. They stayed on the beach witnessing a burst of light on the Moon, thinking of it as shooting stars or an eclipse, in fact the emergence of the Phoenix Five.
Laurie joined back a newly extended Utopia and Hope along Teon and Gabriel, but were attacked by the Avengers who abducted Hope thanks to the Scarlet Witch, although the intervention of the Phoenixes Emma and Scott.
Once Scott Summers declared "No More Avengers", Transonic participated to their hunt, who was focused on Wanda Maximoff's capture. Along the Phoenix Namor, Polaris and Iceman against Maximoff, Doctor Strange, Mockingbird and the Thing over the Atlantic Ocean. Asked by Namor to take the Witch down, she was caught up in the teleportation radius of Strange, himself ordered to retreat by Maximoff. Once the Avengers in Wakanda, Transonic was seized by the Wakandans under Shuri's orders, prompting Namor to attack the African country, once Emma Frost revealed to him only where she was detained.
Hope stayed in touch with Laurie, sending her some letter about her life in a flatscans school.
At the time of the trip in Savage Land, Transonic was part of the student roster, and has been seen there since, during the speech of Wolverine preceding the burying of a "time capsule", or assaulting Glob Herman as he was bothering her about the fact her costume was simply being naked all the time.
Helping the Young Avengers
In order to battle Mother, Prodigy called for Alex Power and Laurie, who herself called in Jean Grey School students Pixie and Oya, themselves calling for more students, to support the Young Avengers. She wasn't able to reach Hope.
As the last meeting between Mother, Wiccan and Captain America didn't went well, Hawkeye decreed "Avengers Assemble" to the vast troop of young heroes of the Thin Spandex Line. Soon, an army of alternate Young Avengers were unleashed on Central Park, and Transonic battled at least a patched-eyed-Noh-Varr and an alternate Kate Bishop exchanging with Alex Power during the battle, she was troubled by the fact that no adult came to help them, with the Avengers Mansion that close, Alex replying that they were the Avengers for now, soon before both were taken down by Jeff and Rebbecca Kaplan (Wiccan's parents). The invasion was eventually thwarted by the Young Avengers who were fighting in Mother's dimension: She was killed, the alternate young Avengers sent back in that dimension, beaten, and restored to their own realms, and the young heroes came back to feast with their allies, Laurie welcoming Prodigy with a hug.
She was also present at the after/New Year party, was thanked by Hawkeye for the help she had dragged in the battle, but had to deal with the lack of good behavior of Kid Gladiator, who shouted that he could have deal with the threat on his own. She was able to escape that uncomfortable situation and took Kubark with her as Kate had to deal with her ex-boyfriend Noh-Varr.
No More Humans
During the No More Humans crisis, Laurie was at the Grey School among the students who witnessed the arrival of other dimensions mutant refugees, among them Stonewall, of New Amsterdam, coming to them in search of a Sanctuary promised by Raze.
She was also present during the Trimegas attack on the school, taking cover and presumably retreating immediately.
She participated in a workshop with Beast and other students, creating an instantaneous orbital teleportation link from the power of domesticated Bamfs for the Annual Jean Grey School Science Fair a contest between Beast's team and then teacher Spider-Man's Special Class. Instants later, she battled the Symbiotes-possessed Brood that came from the portal her team had built.
Transonic was at the school when Ororo returned triumphantly from her adventures. She was also seen participating to the school garden work.
Transonic was present at the "trial of Henry McCoy", where the X-Men and students of both schools gathered to discuss Beast's tampering on time and genetics, and the danger he was creating for mutants. She was presumably sent to Washington, D.C. along with all the other people present, to hear Cyclops' speech on the Mutant Revolution.
Transonic was among the mutants who went to Limbo along with the school due to the M-Pox epidemic and was later among the X-Men dispatched to retrieve the mutant Sapna as she was attacked by demons, and bring her to the school. Sometime after this, she participated in the birthday party of Evan Sabahnur in the ruins of Utopia.
Once the M-Pox problem was solved, and mutants and inhumans ceased the conflicts between them, the school was brought back, however this time not to Westchester, but to New York City, where they'd not be hiding anymore. Then, she resumed her studies and was seen among other students on a field trip to an art gallery with Kitty Pryde and Old Man Logan. She was also part of the training game for Eye-Boy.
- Superhuman Speed
- Flight: She can fly at supersonic speeds.
- Shifting Crystal Skin: Transonic has blue crystalline/scaly skin that possesses reactive properties that change her physical form to grant enhanced maneuverability and/or speed. In a controlled setting, Laurie morphed under high winds and changed consistency, when she flew into the skies with Idie she underwent a remarkable transformation which had her gain more physical characteristics, her body changed shape to become larger and winged (resembling a flying fish) when traveling at high altitudes for more maneuverability and became missile-shaped when traveling at high speeds to become more aerodynamic, though this did not last for long as she had to go back down again.
That status of post-M-Day-activated mutant gave her also the following characteristic:
- Lights Bonding: The Lights were shown to be linked each other, to Hope and to the new activations, with some low level control from Hope over them. They were also affected by the suicide of Zeeshan. That situation was witnessed by Laurie and Kenji, and later by Kitty Pryde. Also, when the Sixth Light activated, all of the Lights were able to sense it.
- Laurie had no or few skills in shooting, stating she isn't a "shooty-Canadian". She seemed to have become way more comfortable with weapons now, using some on field, while she dislikes so.
- Laurie has proved to have a great general culture and intelligence.
Some guns, fire-arms, but reluctant to use those.
- She received a 1590 on her SAT, even though she was in Vancouver, Canada, where they don't have the SAT. Laurie expressly stated she is Canadian. She was also cared about by C.S.I.S (Canadian Security Intelligence Service). She is possibly a dual citizen.
- Creators Matt Fraction and Kieron Gillen loosely based the Five Lights mutant powers on the the archetypal power-sets on the original five X-Men (with the exception of Gabriel).
- Kieron Gillen described her as "the team's Angel. A physically enhanced flyer with a form that's adapted for that purpose. [...] she's one of the purer characters on the team: a bookish, emotionally anal girl in chains to her own self-demands has to learn how to fly. She's very much superpower as metaphor for character's emotional struggle. [...] She's very much the team's "Captain Sensible" character, stepping in and doing the "Wait, we're going to do what?" when the more foolhardy and headstrong people are thinking they're immortal.
- Laurie's costume or naked state seems to be an obsession to some students, who asked twice to have more information about it:
- When asked by Rockslide if she was naked, she answered that she is naked but not "naked-naked" and that her flesh turns into a costume, of sorts. Rockslide then asked her why she wears anything at all, when she could go like the Thing. Laurie responded the it was the same reason why he does not wear a swimsuit. He then asked her could she "go more naked," to which she replied that she was not going to demonstrate for him.
- Glob Herman came himself later with that subject as well, asking if her "costume's kinda really just being naked, to which she simply assaulted him.
- Laurie was probably about 17 or 18 at the time of her mutation, although Cyclops stated she was nineteen-year-old, because she was enrolled in college in Vancouver. However, it is possible that she is a year or two younger because it is also stated that she is extremely intelligent and may have graduated from high school early. It was confirmed by Hope that she was 18 at the time of the Schism.
- While in school she wrote a sociology paper entitled "The Effect of Post-Human Conflict On The New York Teenager's Worldview", and got an A+ for it.
- Laurie hate camping, is scared of hospitals, and although using some, she dislikes the use of guns.
- She thought that her parents would be disappointed if she became an X-Man, and that they would want her to be an Avenger, or a member of Alpha Flight in second choice. Steve Rogers hypothesized that the C.S.I.S (Canadian Security Intelligence Service) was interested in her possibly in order to restore the "depleted" ranks of Alpha Flight. In fact, her mother wanted her to became a doctor.
- 66 Appearances of Laurie Tromette (Earth-616)
- 1 Minor Appearances of Laurie Tromette (Earth-616)
- Media Laurie Tromette (Earth-616) was Mentioned in
- 50 Images featuring Laurie Tromette (Earth-616)
- 4 Quotations by or about Laurie Tromette (Earth-616)
- Character Gallery: Laurie Tromette (Earth-616)
Discover and Discuss
- Search this site for:
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 1.2 1.3 1.4 1.5 1.6 Uncanny X-Men #526
- ↑ 2.0 2.1 2.2 Generation Hope #10
- ↑ 3.0 3.1 Generation Hope #16
- ↑ 4.0 4.1 4.2 4.3 Generation Hope #1
- ↑ 5.0 5.1 5.2 5.3 5.4 5.5 Generation Hope #6
- ↑ 6.0 6.1 Generation Hope #17
- ↑ X-Men: Second Coming #2
- ↑ Uncanny X-Men #527
- ↑ Not seen in Uncanny X-Men #528
- ↑ Uncanny X-Men #529
- ↑ Generation Hope #1-4
- ↑ Generation Hope #4
- ↑ 13.0 13.1 13.2 13.3 13.4 Generation Hope #5
- ↑ 14.0 14.1 14.2 Heroic Age: X-Men #1
- ↑ Uncanny X-Men #531
- ↑ She wasn't seen in Uncanny X-Men #534
- ↑ 17.0 17.1 Uncanny X-Men #539
- ↑ Generation Hope #7
- ↑ 19.0 19.1 19.2 Generation Hope #8
- ↑ 20.0 20.1 20.2 Generation Hope #9
- ↑ 21.0 21.1 21.2 21.3 21.4 Generation Hope #12
- ↑ 22.0 22.1 X-Men: Schism #4
- ↑ 23.0 23.1 23.2 Generation Hope #11
- ↑ X-Men: Schism #5
- ↑ X-Men: Regenesis #1
- ↑ 26.0 26.1 26.2 26.3 Generation Hope #13
- ↑ Uncanny X-Men Vol 2 #1
- ↑ Astonishing X-Men Vol 3 #44
- ↑ X-Men: Legacy #262
- ↑ X-Men: Legacy #263
- ↑ Generation Hope #14
- ↑ Generation Hope #15
- ↑ 33.0 33.1 Uncanny X-Men Vol 2 #9
- ↑ Avengers vs. X-Men #2
- ↑ Uncanny X-Men Vol 2 #11
- ↑ Avengers Academy #29
- ↑ Avengers Academy #30
- ↑ Avengers Academy #31
- ↑ Uncanny X-Men Vol 2 #13
- ↑ 40.0 40.1 Avengers vs. X-Men #6
- ↑ Avengers vs. X-Men #7
- ↑ AvX: Consequences #3
- ↑ Wolverine and the X-Men #25
- ↑ Wolverine and the X-Men #29
- ↑ 45.0 45.1 Avengers Arena #13
- ↑ Young Avengers Vol 2 #6
- ↑ Young Avengers Vol 2 #11
- ↑ Young Avengers Vol 2 #12
- ↑ Young Avengers Vol 2 #13
- ↑ Young Avengers Vol 2 #14
- ↑ Young Avengers Vol 2 #15
- ↑ X-Men: No More Humans #1
- ↑ Nightcrawler Vol 4 #4
- ↑ X-Men Vol 4 #16
- ↑ Storm #1
- ↑ Spider-Man and the X-Men #4
- ↑ Spider-Man and the X-Men #5
- ↑ Storm Vol 3 #10
- ↑ Uncanny X-Men #600
- ↑ Extraordinary X-Men #3
- ↑ Extraordinary X-Men #4; Transonic doesn't appear in the issue
- ↑ All-New X-Men Vol 2 #9
- ↑ 63.0 63.1 Star-Lord Vol 2 #1
- ↑ Generation X Vol 2 #5
- ↑ Generation X #85
- ↑ Generation Hope #7 & #8 resumes
- ↑ 67.0 67.1 X-POSITION: Kieron Gillen
|Like this? Let us know!|