Appearing in "The Lava Man"Edit
Races and Species:
- United States of America
- Jet Fighter
Synopsis for "The Lava Man"Edit
After saving a jet pilot, Thor returns to his office as Dr. Don Blake to speak to his nurse Jane Foster. He wants to confess his love for her, but realizes he can not unless he also reveals his identity as Thor. So he goes to Odin asking permission, and it is denied.
As news of the approaching Lava Man spreads through the city, Loki (watching from Asgard) laughs because it was he who released the volcanic creature.
Meanwhile, Jane informs Blake that she is leaving and taking a job elsewhere. She can not remain where her feelings are rejected. Forbidden by Odin, Blake is unable to stop her.
As the Lava Man finally reaches the city, he claims the city for his Lava Men tribe. But Thor appears ready to stop him. The Lava Man melts his way into the tunnels underground, and causes geyser eruptions all around Thor. But the Thunder God uses his thrown hammer to drive the Lava Man back above ground. The Lava Man encases Thor in lava, but he is able to break free by summoning a lightning blast from his hammer.
When the Lava Man converts himself to a pillar of stone to try to crush Thor, Thor conjures a whirlwind with his hammer and sweeps the Lava Man to a distanct volcano and drops him in. He then seals the top to imprison the Lava Man and end his threat.
Back at his office as Blake, he finds Jane and her new employer, Dr. Bruce Andrews, waiting for him. She is angry that while the Lava Man was menacing the area, Blake had not even bothered to check on her safety. She leaves with Dr. Andrews, as Blake laments that Thor must live out his days alone.
Appearing in "Tales of Asgard"Edit
- Buri (First appearance)
- Bor (First appearance)
- Vili (First appearance)
- Ve (First appearance)
- Bestla (First appearance)
- Yggdrasill (First appearance)
Synopsis for "Tales of Asgard"Edit
The first part in a series telling some of the ancient legends of Asgard, this premiere story explains the early origins of the home of the Gods and the birthplace of the mighty Thor.
It explains that the origins of these legends have their root from the Ancient Norsemen who crafted these tales. We are introduced to the Aesir (good gods) and their opponents the evil Frost Giants, and how they would wage battle in a realm bound by fire in the south and mist in the north.
At this world's end, the legends state the demon of fire, Surtur sits planning the destruction of the Gods, while deep below them all is the Well of Life. Aeons ago, the realm of Asgard was a world of pure ice until the birth of Ymir the greatest of the Frost Giants, followed by a magical cow. Soon the first of the Asgardians would be born, Buri.
As time would go on, Buri would take a wife and have a son named Borr. Borr would also have children of his own, one of them growing to be the soon mighty Odin. It would be Odin who would eventually vanquish Ymir. Following the ice giants defeat, Odin and his brothers would plant Yggdrasill, the Life Tree and protect the Earth, preparing it for the coming of man.
Appearing in "The Perfect Defense"Edit
Synopsis for "The Perfect Defense"Edit
- Synopsis not yet written.
- First appearance of the Lava Man, later named Molto. Molto and his race, the Lava Men, appear next in Avengers #5.
- The Tales of Asgard series, which reveals the Norse history of Thor and the other Asgardian gods, begins this issue. It continues up to Thor #145
- Tales of Asgard introduces several characters and concepts for the first time in the series: Buri, Bor, Vili, Ve, Bestla, Ice Giants, Ymir, Surtur, Audumla, Jotunheim, Muspelheim, and Yggdrasill.
- The unnamed members of Odin's family seen here are Vili, Ve, and Bestla.
- This issue is reprinted in other comics and books, see references for more info.
- No trivia.
Links and ReferencesEdit
- ↑ The first story is reprinted in the following comics/TPB's:
- Essential Series Vol 1 Thor 1
- Marvel Masterworks: Thor 1
- Epic Collection Vol 1 Thor 1
- Mighty Thor Omnibus Vol 1 1
- Journey into Mystery Annual Vol 1 1
- Mighty Thor Collector's Album Vol 1 1
- Mighty Thor (Golden Book and Record Set)
|Like this? Let us know!|