Years ago, the man called Johnny Storm, along with three others, stole a Skrullship and tried to escape the Skrull ruled Earth, however, they came across cosmic waves which mutated them and caused the ship to crash. One of the crew died, and the others, Johnny included, mutated. They were captured and forced to battle in "the Games", except for Reed Richards, who managed to escape and set up a secret lab.
When Galactus' herald Terrax arrived on Earth, he caused a power failure which freed all superhumans, Johnny included, from imprisonment. During the battle with Terrax, Alex Summers and Johnny blast him out of the sky, and the Banner Beast and Ben Grimm beat him up on the ground. Soon all heroes that are left standing join the fight and Terrax' fate is sealed.
During the battle with Galactus, while Johnny, Shiro Yoshida and Ororo Munroe attacked from the air, Ben Grimm, Piotr Rasputin and Bruce Banner combined their strengths. Usually Galactus' herald would deal with such attacks, but the master proves that he can deal with it too, and the heroes were sent flying.
After Galactus was driven off, Johnny, along with all the other heroes, started rebuilding their world after a century of slavery by the Skrulls.
Johnny recieved his powers when cosmic rays bombarded his body. Johnny's powers represent the element of fire.
Pyrokinesis: Johnny possesses the mental ability to control ambient heat energy and the physical ability to transform his entire body, or portions of his body into a fiery, plasma-like state of will. The cells of a normal human body convert energy from foodstuffs into a form of energy usable by the body, adenosine triphosphate (ATP). Among other mutagenic changes, the cosmic ray bombardment triggered a specific genetic code rearrangement that caused Johnny's ATP production sites to generate a new form of energy containing molecule. This complex molecule not only provides ordinary bodily energy but contains large stores of latent chemical-bonding energies. Another favorable mutagenic change are his cells' ability to utilize this extra energy by converting it into a moderate-density, plasma-like state that is regulated by a subconscious mental field and can be modified by an act of will. When sufficient quantities of energy are consumed, Johnny unavoidably reverts to his solid state.
- Plasma Form: Johnny possesses the physical ability to envelop his entire body or portions of his body with fiery plasma without harm to himself. (Plasma is a super-heated stated of matter such as exists in the atmosphere of stars.) Ordinarily, when aflame, Johnny is enveloped by a low intensity flame of low level plasma (reddish, approximately 780 Fahrenheit), which ranges from 1 to 5 inches from his body. He can, however, generate much higher levels and flames about himself. The energy used to support his low-level plasma is small; only when Johnny wills his flame to a higher level does the majority of surplus energy with the AR-HP complex become involved. In its plasma state, Johnny's body is no longer solid; projectiles that are not melted pass harmlessly through his body.
- Fire Manipulation: Johnny can generate shapes composed of fire from any point on his body. (He usually employs his hands to "sculpt" the flames.) He can form fire into long streams, spheres, or even more complex shapes like letters in skywriting. These flames-objects will only remain their shapes as long as he concentrates upon them. The objects will only burn about 3 minutes before expiring unless Johnny continues to infuse them with energy. The temperature of these fiery projections is generally around 2,800 F (near the melting point of iron).
- Nova Flame: Johnny refers to his highest, hottest levels of plasma that he can create as his "nova flame." The exact temperatures that his "nova flame" can attain are not known. At an average rate of expenditure of energy, Johnny can stay aflame for about 16.8 hours. In his younger days, he could only maintain his flame for much briefer periods, and sometimes exhausted it while in combat. He cannot maintain his "nova flame" for as long a time as he can maintain his ordinary flame. The Torch can release all of his body's stored energy in one intense, omni-directional "nova-burst," which can reach about 1,000,000 F, and which is similar to the heat-pulse of a nuclear warhead detonation, with an area of total devastation of about 900 feet in diameter. This violent discharge uses his entire reserve of energy (except for the necessary to keep him alive) at once, entirely exhausting his flame power. He generally requires at least 12 hours to recover entirely from such a feat.
- Flight: Johnny's plasma has a high hydrogen content, and is surrounded by an exuded cloud of mono-atmoic hydrogen atoms. The hot cloud provides sufficient positive buoyancy for him to float. With mental stimulation of his flame, he can provide enough lift to carry around 180 pounds.
Thermokinesis: Johnny has the ability to mentally control the ambient heat energy within his immediate environment, even when he himself is not aflame. He can reduce objects' temperatures (if they are in a normal range for existing on Earth's surface) to about 30 F, raise them to several hundred degrees, or extinguish open flames. His radius of influence is about 80 feet. The heat energy he takes from the environment is absorbed into his own body. If he takes in a critical amount while he is not aflame, he will become aflame. There are unknown limits to the amount of flame he can absorb into his own body harmlessly while he is himself aflame.
Immunity to Fire & Heat: Johnny is unaffected by heat and flames, including his own, even when part of him is aflame and the rest of him is not. His flesh cannot be scalded or burned by any heat source whose level is below that of his maximum output.
Expert Mechanic: An expert mechanic since his teens, Johnny was able to totally overhaul a car's transmission by the age of 15.
The Human Torch possesses the normal human strength of a man of his age, height, and build who engages in moderate regular exercise.
Energy Depletion: At an average rate of expenditure of energy, Johnny can maintain his plasma state for about 16.8 hours before he is forced to revert to his solid state.
Physical Condition: Johnny's physical condition (health, injury or exhaustion) also limits his flame's duration.
Fire Extinguishing: Johnny's flame is supported by the presence of oxygen, and thus is extinguished in low air pressure or a vacuum. Johnny's flame can be extinguished by smothering materials, such as water, sand, fire-fighting foam, and heat-resistant blankets, unless his flame is at such an intensity that it immediately vaporizes such materials on contact. If hit with small amounts of water, up to about five gallons, Johnny can turn it to steam with relatively little effort. More water than that could extinguish his flame at its normal level, and he would have to wait until he could evaporate the residual moisture before re-ignition.
Low Light: Johnny's light output is mostly in the infrared region of the spectrum, and is invisible to the unaided eye. Less that 10% of his total power output is in the visible portion of the spectrum. Thus, Johnny, when aflame, is dimmer than one would expect of so powerful an energy source.
- 2 Appearances of Jonathan Storm (Earth-5692)
- Minor Appearances of Jonathan Storm (Earth-5692)
- Media Jonathan Storm (Earth-5692) was Mentioned in
- 1 Images featuring Jonathan Storm (Earth-5692)
- Quotations by or about Jonathan Storm (Earth-5692)
- Character Gallery: Jonathan Storm (Earth-5692)
Discover and Discuss
- Search this site for:
|Like this? Let us know!|