- I am a weapon of mass destruction.
- -- Hazmat 
OriginOne day, Jennifer was kissing her boyfriend Greg when he suddenly fell into a coma. She was taken to the hospital to be tested where it was discovered that her body leaked radiation and she was the cause of the coma.
Norman Osborn kidnapped Jenny and jump-started her powers against her will. When she returned home her family became exposed to her long enough that they became ill and her dog died. Hank Pym met with Jenny and invited her to the Avengers Academy. Hazmat was forced to wear a protective radiation suit at all times when around others.
Jennifer is then recruited to join the newly formed Avengers Academy alongside other young potential heroes Veil (Madeline Berry), Striker (Brandon Sharpe), Finesse (Jeanne Foucault), Reptil (Humberto Lopez) and Mettle (Ken Mack). She, and the rest of the class were lead to believe they were among those most likely to become heroes, but they quickly uncovered files on them revealed they were most likely to become villains.
Hazmat plotted her revenge on Osborn along with fellow students Mettle and Veil. The three went to the Raft with the help of the Thunderbolts. Hazmat found Norman's cell and she and Mettle tried to kill him. The instructors foiled them and they went back to the Quinjet and Luke Cage then told her, Mettle, and Veil about Osborn killing his family.
Reptil has been elected class leader of Avengers Academy. Reptil decided to mediate Mettle and Hazmat's differences, saying that they make a good couple, they became disgusted. Mentallo escaped from his transport truck and started messing with the Avengers. The team went to intervene with Reptil ripping his arm off.
Mettle and Hazmat are at the beach, but their unusual appearances make it hard for them to enjoy it. Hazmat gets a call from Briggs, saying he has found a cure. They travel to the Briggs Building to meet their former team mate Veil who is now working with another subject of Osborn's experiments Jeremy Briggs. He had been working on a cure for all their conditions. The couple decides that to take his clean slate process which restores them to the normal forms. Now free from their deformaties the couple goes out to enjoy life as normal people.
Jeremy Briggs however reveals his true plan to was to Veil and Striker. He plans to remove all superpowered beings powers only allowing the worthy to possess them. Veil runs to tell Mettle and Hazmat and persuades them to take the so-called antidote and restore their powers for good. Mettle and the group confronts Jeremy and his accomplice the Enchantress (Sylvie Lushton) on the rooftop of the building.
White Tiger and Reptil draw on the full power of their magic, gain an extreme upper hand on the Enchantress. Sensing the her defeat she teleports away but not before getting her face slashed by White Tiger.X-23 does some slicing and dicing of Briggs, so releases an acid attack on her stomach, destroying it in the process. Finesse notices this as the perfect opportunity to use X-23's hands as weapons. Finesse grabs X-23's wrists, and stabs two of Briggs' most important arteries. As he sits there bleeding to death, he freaks out, and Finesse starts to stop the loss of blood by cutting off the flow. Finesse reminds Briggs about why they were recruited, that they were at risk of being villains. As she says this, she unties the cloth that has been keeping Briggs from bleeding to death, and walks off as he dies.
In the aftermath, Hazmat told Mettle that killing Briggs was completely worth it, and that she had no remorse.
Hazmat is one of the 16 super powered teens teleported to Murderworld by Arcade. Hazmat and Mettle had just finally had sex for the first time when they are teleported away from Avengers Academy. In Murderworld, Arcade is about to kill a defiant Hazmat, but Mettle sacrifices himself in Jen's place and is killed by Arcade instead.
Hazmat teams up with fellow Avengers Academy members X-23 and Reptil and only briefly with the Runaways Chase and Nico. Her teammate Reptil is badly injured by a mysterious attacker. Hazmat and X-23 mistakenly blame Chase and Nico, destroying their food source. Later, Hazmat steps on a trap set by Arcade which causes trigger scent to spread among her party. X-23 is affected by it and attacks an injured Reptil and Hazmat. Reptil transforms into winged dinosaur form and carries Hazmat away from X-23's attack to a beach sector of Murderworld. She and Reptil stay on the beach where he recovers until a group of other contestants are teleported by Nico to their destination. Reptil convinces Hazmat to join the fight against Apex, who was murdering the other people on the island.
On the last day in Murderworld, Hazmat's powers go haywire. She begins to emit a great amount of radiation and cannot control it. As she cries out for help, Reptil, in dinosaur form, scoops Hazmat up in his mouth and leaps into the water. A massive underwater explosion occurs. After the teen's battle against the island itself, Hazmat crawls onto the beach, out of her containment suit and no longer glowing. She convinces the other survivors to make a pact to never talk about what happened in Murderworld.
Three months after leaving Murderworld, now without her containment suit and in control of her powers, Hazmat finds herself on another mission. She, Nico, Chase, Aiden, Cammi, and Death Locket go to Bagalia to locate Cullen, who was searching for Arcade. After finding Cullen, the seven of them are teleported by the Masters of Evil to an Murderworld-based event being held at Arcade's Massacre Casino. Hazmat, upon discovering Arcade, suddenly experiences a state of catatonic shock. During the slaughter, Arcade mocks Nico, Chase, Cullen, Aiden, Cammi, and Death Locket for being unwilling to kill him. Hazmat suddenly recovers from her shock and blasts Arcade with radiation, frying him to death.
Baron Zemo invites the seven Murderworld survivors to stay in Bagalia and join the Masters of Evil. Hoping to restore their image as heroes, Hazmat and the others devise a plan decide to stay in Bagalia and secretly take down the Masters of Evil from the inside.
Months later, Madame Masque has Hazmat and Aiden accompany her on a mission Madripoor to meet with Mystique and Sabretooth. There, Madame Masque trains Hazmat and Aiden by having them fight Hand ninjas. Afterwards, Hazmat and Aiden watch the sunset together, and Aiden surprises Jennifer by kissing her.
After Cammi foils Baron Zemo and the Masters of Evil's plans, Hazmat and the others leave Bagalia. Hazmat rejoins her friends from Avengers Academy, Braddock Academy, and the Runaways, and together they went to enjoy summertime at a lake.
|Power Grid |
Substance Emission: Hazmat is a girl who can produce various deadly substances from her body. Previously, a side effect was that she was poisonous to others, and prolonged exposure to her would result in illness and death, so she wore a containment suit most of the time. Since emitting a massive explosion in Murderworld, she now can control her radiation and does not wear a containment suit.
- Substance Immunity: Hazmat is immune to the various deadly substances she produces.
- Light: Hazmat can brighten her body with her powers.
- Radiation Generation: Due to her body creating natural radiation from her own body, she can create different forms of blasts that can harm anyone it hits. She is also able to use EMP, which can disable anything electrical.
- Containment: Due to being poisonous to others with prolonged exposure, Hazmat must wear a containment suit.
- Anger: Whenever she is angry, she tends to lose control of her actions and can sometimes almost blow up from anger.
- Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder: Hazmat, suffering from post-traumatic stress disorder, has quit the Avengers and is now in hiding.
Hazmat Suit: Previously, due to the side effect of her powers, Hazmat needed to stay in a containment suit whenever she was outside of a controlled environment (e.g. a room which could isolate her from others who could be killed by her substances).
- Hazmat has a Beta-Level Avengers Security Clearance.
- Hazmat has anger issues due to her powers.
- It is implied that Mettle (due to his organic iridium body) was immune to the substances she produces, meaning that he is one of the few she can be around without her containment suit without killing them.
- Leech is capable of dampening her powers, making it possible (while he is dampening them) for her to be outside of her containment suit without being a danger to anyone.
- Due to his immunity to her radiation, Mettle and Hazmat began a relationship with each other, giving them the thing they needed most; someone who understood the other's pain.
- As seen in her origin story, Hazmat has a Dazzler poster in her bedroom.
- She was 18 years old at the beginning of Avengers Arena.
- 75 Appearances of Jennifer Takeda (Earth-616)
- 2 Minor Appearances of Jennifer Takeda (Earth-616)
- Media Jennifer Takeda (Earth-616) was Mentioned in
- 72 Images featuring Jennifer Takeda (Earth-616)
- 8 Quotations by or about Jennifer Takeda (Earth-616)
- Character Gallery: Jennifer Takeda (Earth-616)
- Characters killed by Hazmat
Discover and Discuss
- Search this site for:
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 1.2 1.3 Avengers Academy #1
- ↑ 2.0 2.1 2.2 2.3 Avengers Academy #3
- ↑ Avengers Academy #5
- ↑ Avengers Academy #6
- ↑ Avengers Academy #34
- ↑ Avengers Academy #35
- ↑ Avengers Academy #36
- ↑ Avengers Academy #37
- ↑ 9.0 9.1 9.2 9.3 Avengers Arena #1
- ↑ Avengers Arena #17
- ↑ Avengers Arena #18
- ↑ 12.0 12.1 Avengers Undercover #1
- ↑ Avengers Undercover #3
- ↑ Avengers Undercover #4
- ↑ Avengers Undercover #5
- ↑ Avengers Undercover #8
- ↑ Avengers Undercover #10
- ↑ Avengers NOW! #1
- ↑ Avengers Academy #10
- ↑ Avengers NOW! #1
- ↑ Avengers NOW! #1
|Like this? Let us know!|