- Losing your head won't help matters!
Appearing in "Heartbeaten"Edit
- Bambi Arbogast
- James Rhodes
- Marcy Pearson
- Felix Alvarez
- Rae LaCoste
- Los Angeles Police Department
- Officer Siry
- Marcus McLaurin
- Doctor Wohl
- Bryant Gumbel
- Ed Munro, channel 6 news
- Ant-Man (Scott Lang)
- Cassandra Lang
- Dr. Charles Ingwe
- David Letterman
- Stark International (Only in flashback)
- Avengers (Only in flashback)
- Obadiah Stane (Only in flashback)
- Brie Daniels (Only in flashback)
- Stevie Gazelle (Photograph)
- Reed Richards (Mentioned)
- Stevie Gazelle's home
- Iron Man Armor MK III (Only in flashback)
- Captain America's Shield (Only in flashback)
- Mjolnir (Only in flashback)
Synopsis for "Heartbeaten"Edit
Tony Stark is rushed to the hospital after being shot by stalker Kathy Dare. The bullet has ruptured his spine and he has lost consciousness. Almost immediately, reporters flock to the hospital hoping to catch a glimpse of America’s wealthiest bachelor. Rhodey is present and threatens several reporters who attempt to crowd him.
Kathy Dare has been arrested, but seems oblivious to the seriousness of her crime. Bert Hindel is appointed as her attorney. Almost immediately he begins preparing a defense suggesting that Kathy is a victim of physical and emotional abuse. Hindel calls a press conference and begins painting Kathy as a portrait of a victim on national television.
Inside the hospital, a special visitor’s ward has been set up for family and friends. Rhodey is watching the Hindel interview and smashes the television with his boot. Mrs. Arbogast, ever the stoic pillar of patience and virtue, calms Rhodey down. But she can only maintain her cool for so long. She finds a reporter dressed up as a janitor trying to sneak into the ICU to snap pictures of Tony Stark. Mrs. A smashes his camera and threatens to shove his janitorial squeegee “where it’ll do the most good?.
Tony’s confidante Rae LaCoste hires Dr. Charles Ingwe; the world’s most accredited microsurgeon to fly out to California to attend to Tony. As Tony’s life hangs in the balance, Marcy Pearson, the Stark Enterprises Public Relations rep learns that in an event of an emergency, she has been selected to run Stark Enterprises in the case of Tony’s absence. Marcy asks Jim Rhodes if perhaps Iron Man can make a press statement to try and keep the S.E. image looking favorable.
Many eyes are glued to their televisions as the likes of Bryant Gumbel reports on the minute-by-minute status of Anthony Stark. Such witnesses include: Justin Hammer, Tigra and Ant-Man.
After many intense hours, Dr. Ingwe emerges from the ER and addresses the press. He informs the nation that Tony Stark shall live – however, he will never be able to walk ever again.
- Tony Stark does not appear as Iron Man in this issue.
- In this issue, it is revealed that Tony Stark's blood type is A+ (A Positive).
- 1st appearances of Bryant Gumbel and Charles Ingwe.
- Bryant Gumbel is a real-life sportscaster who has acted as host for The Today Show, The Early Show and Real Sports with Bryant Gumbel.
- In the flashback scene, the Iron Man Armor looks to be the Mark IV model, but Tony Stark wore the Mark III model during the time period of this particular line-up (Avengers #4- Avengers #16).
- Gossip columnist Marcus McLaurin and LAPD officer Siry are references to Marc McLaurin and Marc Siry, assistant editors at Marvel Comics at the time.
- Write your own review of this comic!
- Discuss Iron Man Vol 1 243 on the forums
- Cover gallery for the Iron Man series
- Images from Iron Man Vol 1 243
- Iron Man (Volume 1) #242 (Kathy shoots Tony)
Links and ReferencesEdit
|Like this? Let us know!|