- I'm not Power Man anymore. I'm Goliath. And where Goliath walks -- he walks alone!
- -- Goliath
Appearing in "When Giants Walk the Earth!"Edit
- U.S. Coast Guard
- Woody Allen (Mention)
- Thor Odinson (Mention)
- Red Skull (Mention)
- Fly (Mention)
- Beast (Mention)
The following characters all appear in flashback only
- Baron Zemo
- Count Nefaria
- Daddy Long Legs
- Power Man (Luke Cage)
- Lethal Legion
- Iron Man Armor MK V
- Global Radar Module
- Captain America's Shield (Main story and flashback)
- Captain America's Uniform (Main story and flashback)
- Hawkeye's Bow
- Iron Man Armor MK IV (Only in flashback)
- Pym Particles
Synopsis for "When Giants Walk the Earth!"Edit
Jim Rhodes spends some time with his new teammates the West Coast Avengers. He is bothered however by the fact that his colleagues think that he is the original Iron Man. After helping to install a heavy scanner, Iron Man flies back to Circuits Maximus. He gets into an argument with Tony Stark, then flies off to rescue some workers from an oil rig platform that is collapsing into the ocean.
Elsewhere, down-and-out small-time criminal Erik Josten seeks out the Power Broker, Karl Malus. He wants Malus to give him better super-powers so he can make it in the big leagues. In exchange for his services, Josten agrees to work as Malus' hired muscle. Malus performs the experiment, transforming Josten into the size-changing Goliath. Josten reneges on his vow however, and destroys the laboratory.
Goliath then begins terrorizing the streets of Los Angeles. Iron Man arrives and begins fighting him, but he underestimates Josten's newfound powers. He laughs at Iron Man's feeble attempts to bring him down with repulsor blasts, and hurls him far away from the city. Frustrated, Iron Man returns to the West Coast Avengers compound to marshal a new strategy.
The West Coat Avengers want to help him tackle Goliath, but Iron Man wants to go it alone. They convince him to let them help out, and they fly out to face Goliath once again. The Avengers use sound bound strategies and teamwork to keep Goliath off his feet. Iron Man amplifies the ultrasonics in his armor and eventually defeats Goliath. Unconscious, Goliath reduces in size to a mere twenty-feet tall (which is still several times larger than his normal size).
- Takes place during the events of the first West Coast Avengers series.
- First Erik Josten as Goliath.
- Includes a comprehensive series of flashbacks detailing the career of Erik Josten. Erik Josten's first transformation into Power Man took place in Avengers v.1 #21-22. His second battle with the Avengers took place in Avengers v.1 #78-79. He fought Luke Cage for the right to call himself Power Man in Power Man #21. He first encountered Spider-Man in Peter Parker, The Spectacular Spider-Man #49-50.
- Also includes flashbacks from Avengers v.1 Annual #1, Tales of Suspense #88, Avengers v.1 #64 and Spider-Woman #30-31.
- This issue is reprinted in comics and books, see references for more info.
- This issue contains a letters page "Printed Circuits". This contains a Special Announcement Section from editor Mark Gruenwald who details previous appearances of Erik Josten.
Links and ReferencesEdit
- Iron Man at Wikipedia
- Iron Man at Marvel Universe
- Iron Man at Marvel Directory
- Iron Man (Volume 1) series index at Comicbookdb.com
- Iron Man (Volume 1) series index at the Grand Comics Database Project
|Like this? Let us know!|