Appearing in "Peace in Our Time Part 2"Edit
- Nick Fury (Secretly an LMD)
- Godseye (First appearance)
Synopsis for "Peace in Our Time Part 2"Edit
Nick Fury and his agents have tracked down Bruce Banner and convince him to meet with Fury on a former oil platform that is operating as a SHIELD facility. Once on the platform, Fury explains to Bruce that there is a Hydra space station that has been hovering over the planet for decades. The entire space station was governed by a powerful artificial intelligence system for the purposes of destroying all life on planet Earth. When Bruce asks how Hydra managed to build it, Fury explained that they did not. During Cold War, Hydra operatives managed to smuggle the components for this station aboard a Russian space shuttle during the space race. When the shuttle was launched, the artificial intelligence took over killing the crew and began re-purposing the shuttle into the space station. Channeling its power from the sun itself. In order to store the near infinite power, it converted solar energy into atomic power and stored it on a sub-atomic level. Fury explains that even though it has been up in the sky for decades, they have only been able to launch two failed attempts to destroy the station because it is able to cloak itself. The last time they attempted to attack the facility was in 1986 and the device called the Godseye, retaliated by causing the Chernobyl disaster. Hearing all this, Banner agrees to putting his mind to helping destroy the station, however, Fury tells him that they don't want it disabled, they want it smashed.
Fury goes on to explain the plan he has formulated: They want to launch the Hulk into orbit in a capsule that will appear to be nothing more than space debris. Once the Hulk gets close enough to the Godseye, Fury wants the gamma-spawned brute to destroy it. When Banner begins to reconsider this plan, Fury reminds him that while Bruce might be able to survive the detonation of every nuclear weapon on Earth, the rest of the population can't, including innocent women and children. This is enough to convince Banner to go along with Fury's plan. Soon the Hulk is loaded up into the capsule with diagrams of the A.I. systems that need to be destroyed. Soon, the capsul is whipped up into the upper atmosphere by a fleet of fighter jets. As the capsule floats toward the Godseye satellite, it is snared by its defense systems. As the tenticles rip the capsule apart, the Hulk gets a good look at the space station. Seeing a SHIELD emblem on the side of it makes the Hulk realize that he has been tricked.
- This is not the real Nick Fury, but a Life Model Decoy. Fury had gone into hiding following the events of Secret War #5. Since then, SHEILD often employed a Fury LMD to hide this fact. This particular LMD is a pawn of the Illuminati as revealed in New Avengers: Illuminati #1.
- As S.H.I.E.L.D. has since been revealed as being active as early as 1966 (as seen in Winter Soldier: The Bitter March #1.NOW), the facts about when the Godseye was built and references to Chernobyl could be considered to be factual references, as opposed to topical.
- Reprinted in Incredible Hulk: Prelude to Planet Hulk
- No trivia.
Links and ReferencesEdit
|Like this? Let us know!|