- Ha-Ha-Ha! It's true! Bruce Banner is no longer the Hulk! Now there is no one to stop my plans for world domination!
- -- Leader
Appearing in "Follow the Leader!"Edit
- Gamma Ray Projector (Main story and flashback)
- Hulk Robot
- Electro-wave Matter Transporter (Only in flashback)
- Auto-medic capsule (Only in flashback)
- Gamma Control Harness
Synopsis for "Follow the Leader!"EditThe Leader has Bruce Banner, Doc Samson, General Ross and Spad McCracken as his prisoners. He laughs maliciously as he details the events that led to his resurrection. When last the Hulk encountered the Leader, it was as a pawn of the alien planet master known as Kurrgo. The Leader was believed killed during the episode, but he used his Electro-wave matter transporter to teleport to a safe haven. The experience paralyzed him however, and he had to use his enhanced intellect to purge the gamma mutation from his body. As normal Sam Sterns, he was able to overcome the paralysis until such time that he could expose himself to a second dose of radiation, transforming him back into the Leader.
As the Leader continues to gloat, Doc Samson manages to break free of his bonds. He rushes towards the Leader, but a post-hypnotic suggestion prevents him from actually attacking him. The Leader slaps Samson across the face to demonstrate how weak he is.
Suddenly, the Leader discovers that Clay Quartermain's jet is approaching Gamma Base. Seeing Quartermain as a potential reservoir of top secret S.H.I.E.L.D. secrets, the Leader leaves the room and heads towards the airfield.
Because of the Leader's mental override, Samson is unable to leave the base. However, he can free Ross and Banner from their chains. Samson realizes that only the primitive mind of the Hulk can hope to overcome the Leader's mental powers. Banner though, refuses to become the Hulk again. Another option presents itself. They decide to make use of a remote controlled Hulk robot.
Outside, the mind-controlled army personnel surround Clay Quartermain's jet. Clay is escorted into General Ross' office, where the Leader uses his abilities to paralyze him as well. Suddenly, the Hulk robot blasts through the wall and begins chasing the Leader. The Leader cannot understand why Banner would intentionally expose himself to gamma radiation once again. He races out to the hanger where he climbs aboard his Murder Module.
The Hulk gives chase and effortlessly plows through a squad of armed soldiers. The Murder Module straddles overtop of him and begins kicking at the Hulk. The Hulk leaps onto the control cabin and begins pounding at the glass. The Leader pushes a button and a wave of electrical energy shakes the Hulk free, sending him plummeting to the ground where he smashes into a dozen pieces. The Leader now realizes that his opponent was a robot and begins blasting at the scattered remains with his Module's death-ray.
Unfortunately, the destruction of the robot generated a great amount of electric feedback, which surged back into the control harness, greatly injuring Bruce. Samson rushes to his side and shockingly laments, "Bruce Banner is dying!"
- This issue includes flashbacks to events that took place in Marvel Feature #11, as well as events that took place following that issue. The Leader was initially crippled during the events of Incredible Hulk #147.
- Clay Quartermain comes with some old news that the Hulk didn't perish in Incredible Hulk #216, as everyone had believed until last issue. Clay also recounts the Hulk's recent clash with the military in Incredible Hulk #222.
A flashback in this story affects the chronology of the following characters:
- No trivia.
- Hulk image gallery
- Hulk chronology page
- Hulk quotes page
- Clay Quartermain chronology page
- Doc Samson chronology page
- General Ross chronology page
- Leader chronology page
- Incredible Hulk (Volume 1)
- Incredible Hulk (Volume 2)
- Defenders (Volume 1)
- Defenders (Volume 2)
- Rampaging Hulk (Volume 1)
- Rampaging Hulk (Volume 2)
- Tales to Astonish (Volume 1)
Links and ReferencesEdit
- Incredible Hulk profile at Wikipedia
- Incredible Hulk profile at Marvel Universe
- Incredible Hulk profile at Toonopedia
- Incredible Hulk series index at the Grand Comics Database
- Incredible Hulk series index at CBDB
- Incredible Hulk series index at Comicbookdb.com
- Hulk Library
|Like this? Let us know!|