- I am everything for I am nothing! I am a Concept... of Concepts! Life and Death... Good and Evil... Reality and Illusion... all these things do I know and affect but never do they touch me!
- -- In-Betweener src
The In-Betweener is a cosmic entity who exists as the synthesis of the major concepts of the universe: life and death, reality and illusion, good and evil, logic and emotion, existence and nothingness, god and man. Variable in stature, the In-Betweener is an agent of Lord Chaos and Master Order, two of the universe's principal abstract beings, whose appointed task is to maintain the universal balance. Simultaneously existing and not-existing, present everywhere and present nowhere, the In-Betweener is sometimes considered the opposite of Galactus, the being who exists between the principalities of Eternity and Death. While the In-Betweener is the embodiment of opposites, Galactus is their absence (neither good nor evil, servant of life or death, etc.).
The In-Betweener first came to human attention when it abducted the artificial humanoid Adam Warlock to its quasi-realm, and attempted to transform him into a champion of life to help restore the balance upset by Thanos of Titan. The experience drove Warlock insane, creating the entity known as Magus.
The In-Betweener was later encountered by Earth's sorcerer supreme, Doctor Strange, when it empowered the spells of a renegade band of wizards calling themselves the Creators. Strange opposed the In-Betweener and its plan to restore balance by creating universal insanity, and calling upon its masters, Order and Chaos, Strange managed to halt the In-Betweener's machinations.
On one occasion, the In-Betweener exceeded his mandate by attempting to overthrow and destroy Galactus, and his place in the cosmic hierarchy. With the assistance of the Elders of the Universe, he tried to gain control of the Soul Gems for his plans. The In-Betweener was defeated in part thanks to the Silver Surfer, Reed and Sue Richards, and turned over to Lord Chaos and Master Order for punishment. The In-Betweener was imprisoned at the apex of order and chaos in order to neutralize his powers, although his patrons allowed him use of his abilities inside his crystal cage as a gesture. In-Betweener retained the Soul Gem from his previous adventure, making him a target for Thanos. The Mad Titan manipulated the In-Betweener into breaking out of his prison, drawing the ire of Order and Chaos while Thanos made off with his Soul Gem.
The Multiverse was destroyed by the Incursions and recreated in the form of Battleworld, under the rule of God Emperor Doom. Doom's reign was ultimately overthrown by Reed Richards, who managed to seize Doom's power and use it to begin recreating the lost Multiverse, his native reality, and all of its inhabitants, including the In-Betweener.
|Power Grid |
The In-Betweener possesses sufficient power to alter reality on a cosmic scale. However, the In-Betweener is not all-knowing or infallible. Indeed, within the parameters of the In-Betweener's existence are both power and weakness, knowledge and ignorance. 
- Soul Gem – Observe, attack or even steal a being's soul or spirit. Also used to revert individuals to their natural state.
- Chaos is represented by a black being, while Order is represented by a white being.
- 53 Appearances of In-Betweener (Earth-616)
- Media In-Betweener (Earth-616) was Mentioned in
- 14 Images featuring In-Betweener (Earth-616)
- 5 Quotations by or about In-Betweener (Earth-616)
- Character Gallery: In-Betweener (Earth-616)
Discover and Discuss
- Search this site for:
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 Silver Surfer Vol 3 #17-18
- ↑ Warlock #9
- ↑ Doctor Strange Vol 2 #26-28
- ↑ Thanos Quest #1
- ↑ Avengers Vol 3 #57-60
- ↑ Vengeance #1-6
- ↑ Longshot Saves the Marvel Universe #1-4
- ↑ New Avengers Vol 3 #30
- ↑ Secret Wars #3
- ↑ Secret Wars #9
- ↑ Starbrand & Nightmask #4
- ↑ All-New Official Handbook of the Marvel Universe Update #1
|Like this? Let us know!|