The being known as the second Hyperion was created by the alien Grandmaster to be a member of the Squadron Sinister. He was made to believe he was Zhib-Ran, an alien explorer from the planet Yttrium, which exploded when it was struck by energy from the first atom split on Earth. This explosion gave "Zhib-Ran" his powers. The Grandmaster "rescued" him from certain death. Hyperion decided that since Earth was responsible for the destruction of his homeworld, he must take vengeance there.
His first battles were as a member of the Squadron Sinister against the Avengers and later the Defenders. After the second match with the Defenders, Hyperion forgot his memories thanks to a magic spell from Doctor Strange. He took the name Mr. Kant, and moved to Queens in New York, where he managed a health club. The Avengers tracked him there, and upon seeing them, Hyperion regained his "memories" and attacked, although he was defeated.
Later, Hyperion was captured by Master Menace, a villain on an Earth of an alternate reality. Menace tricked him to fight against the Hyperion of that alternate reality, but he was returned after meeting defeat.
Eventually, Hyperion was contacted by the Roxxon Oil Corporation, and told he could be taken to an alternate Yttrium (which of course did not really exist, as there never was an Yttrium) if he brought the hero Thundra to Roxxon. He found her and delivered her, but she escaped to her native Earth of an alternate future, Amazonia. Hyperion tried to follow her, thereby becoming trapped in an interdimensional void. Master Menace retrieved him and promised to send him to Amazonia after working for him. Hyperion agreed and took the place of the heroic Hyperion and feigned amnesia. His teammate Power Princess tried to teach him what he had "forgotten." He fell in love with her, and proceeded to remove all obstacles to that love: he trapped Master Menace in another dimension (where the heroic Hyperion was also trapped), and killed Power Princess's husband. In need of comfort, she turned to the villainous Hyperion, and soon fell in love.
Meanwhile, the original Hyperion and Master Menace joined forces and returned to their Earth, where the two Hyperions fought to the death. Hyperion I was blinded, and beat his villainous counterpart with his fists, until he broke down the pseudo-organic matter that the body was made of. After a confession to Power Princess, Hyperion II died and his body liquefied.
Hyperion possesses various superhuman attributes that are nearly identical to those of the original Hyperion. As the original Hyperion is one of the Eternals from the Earth-712 reality, the construct is as well.
Cosmic Energy: Like all Eternals, the cells of Hyperion's body were infused with cosmic energy that could be used for a variety of purposes. All Eternals have to train themselves for long periods of time, sometimes even centuries, in order to use the cosmic energy for the purpose they intend: which is usually the augmentation of their physical bodies, to develop psionic energies, and to manipulate the cosmic energy itself for various manipulative purposes.
- Superhuman Strength: Hyperion possessed great physical strength, nearly the equal of his original counterpart. At his peak, he possessed sufficient superhuman strength to lift about 90 tons.
- Superhuman Speed: Hyperion was able to run and move at speeds that are beyond the natural physical limits of the finest human athlete.
- Superhuman Stamina: Hyperion's musculature was vastly more efficient than that of a human being and produced considerably less fatigue toxins during physical activity. At his peak, he could exert himself for several days before the build up of fatigue toxins in his blood began to impair him.
- Superhuman Durability: Hyperion's body was much tougher and far more resistant to conventional physical injury than that of a normal human. He could withstand tremendous impact forces, high caliber bullets, temperature extremes of up to 3,000 degrees Farenheit and as low as -455 degrees Farenheit, falls from great heights, and powerful energy blasts without sustaining injury. While Hyperion's body was high resistant to injury, his physical durability was somewhat inferior to that of his counterpart.
- Superhuman Agility: Hyperion's agility, balance and bodily coordination were enhanced to levels beyond the natural physical limits of the finest human athlete.
- Superhuman Reflexes: Hyperion's reflexes were also greatly augmented to levels far beyond human capacity. It is estimated that his reflexes were approximately 100 times that of an average human being.
- Immortality: Hyperion was a being composed of pseudo-organic matter and wasn't subject to many of the same physiological limitations as humans. He was immune to the effects of aging and to all known Earthly diseases. He also required no food, water or oxygen to sustain himself at any point. However, while he couldn't die through any natural means, Hyperion wasn't truly immortal since he could, and was, killed as a result of sustaining traumatic injury.
- Regenerative Healing Factor: Despite his great durability, Hyperion could be injured. If injured, however, the cosmic energy powering his body enabled him to regenerate damaged tissue much faster and more extensively than a human being. Unlike his counterpart, who had received instruction from the Eternal Makkari of the Earth-616 continuity on how to develop his healing powers to the point of being able to regenerate his eyes, this Hyperion's healing powers were on the level of his counterpart prior to his instruction. As a result, he couldn't regenerate severed limbs or missing organs.
- Flight: By manipulating gravitons, Hyperion could propel himself through the air at great speeds for an extended period of time. At his peak, he could acheive a speed of 1,350 miles per hour. Unlike his counterpart, this Hyperion hadn't gained the expertise at manipulating gravitons the same way. Hence, his flight speed was considerably lower.
- Nuclear Vision: Hyperion had developed the cosmic energy in his body for the purpose of giving himself a number of different abilities related to his eyes. He could emit beams of intense heat from his eyes that could reach temperatures of 12,000 degrees Farenheit. He could also emit radiation from his eyes on the X-ray ranged, granting himself a type of "x-ray vison" that allowed him to see clearly through any substance, with the exception of lead.
Though he had no formal training, Hyperion was a formidable hand to hand combatant. He was particularly adapt at using a sort of freestyle technique combined with street fighting techniques that allowed him to make full use of his powers in battle.
Hyperion's powers would be greatly diminished if he were exposed to lead isotopes. The decaying particles of the isotopes dampened the quasi-nuclear energy reactions within his body. Some of his powers were also not developed to as great of a degree as those of his counterpart within the Earth-712 continuity.
- Hyperion was created as a pastiche of DC Comics' Superman. This can also be seen in the similitude of his former alias "Mr. Kant," and the alter ego of Superman, "Clark Kent," as well as in the character's original "civilian" name, "Zhib-Ran," a circuitous allusion to Superman's Kryptonian name "Kal-El" via the Lebanese writer "Kahlil Gibran." In acknowledging the influence of DC heroes, one notes that the "vulnerability" to lead has more in common with natives of Daxam than Krypton, and that Hyperion's costume is loosely reminiscent of the "Captain Marvel" character DC acquired from Fawcett.
- 26 Appearances of Hyperion (Squadron Sinister) (Earth-616)
- Media Hyperion (Squadron Sinister) (Earth-616) was Mentioned in
- 6 Images featuring Hyperion (Squadron Sinister) (Earth-616)
- 2 Quotations by or about Hyperion (Squadron Sinister) (Earth-616)
- Character Gallery: Hyperion (Squadron Sinister) (Earth-616)
- Gamers' Handbook of the Marvel Universe
- Unofficial Handbook of the Marvel Universe
Discover and Discuss
- Search this site for:
|Like this? Let us know!|