The Howling Commandos, as well as their great rivals, the Second Attack Squad (the "Maulers", led by Sgt. "Bull" McGiveney, with Cpl. "Ricketts" Johnson), and, later, Jim Morita's Nisei squad were stationed in a military base in England to fight specialized missions. These missions were located primarily, but not exclusively, in the European Theatre of World War II, eventually going as far afield as the Pacific Theatre, Africa, and, once each, in the Middle East and on the Russian front.
The Howling Commandos' earliest assignment occurred in the autumn of 1942. They were to recover British rocket scientist Dr. MacMillan from a German military base in occupied Norway. Their success brought the attention of British Prime Minister Winston Churchill, who incorporated the unit into the British Army, and given the title of "Commandos".
After further training, the unit was dispatched back behind enemy lines in France to recover Free French resistance fighter who was captured by Nazi soldiers. This was a vital rescue mission since they knew the date and time of an impending Allied landing on the beaches of Normandy. With the help of Free French resistance fighters they rescued the man from the Nazis before he could be forced to talk.
After seeing combat in a French coastal town, Fury was called back to base where he was informed that the Nazis were getting ahead in the race to develop an atomic bomb. Posing as sailors the Howling Commandos managed to smuggle their way into Germany to seek out the laboratory in the town of Heinemund where the atomic weapons were being developed. Initially captured, they broke free and realized the only way they could get near the lab was to allow themselves to be captured and placed into a nearby concentration camp. Breaking free, Fury and his Commandos attacked the Germany laboratory, sabotaging the scientists works there. After they fled the exposed rods of nuclear material reached critical mass and destroyed the lab in a massive nuclear explosion. It is possible that this set back is what caused Nazi leader Adolf Hitler to call off any further development of atomic weapons. 
The Howlers fought against the likes of German General Erwin Rommel and inter-squad bigotry. Antagonists included Baron Strucker, Captain America's nemeses Baron Zemo and the Red Skull (Adolf Hitler's protégé), and other Axis villains. The Howlers encountered and fought alongside Captain America and Bucky several times throughout the war.
Despite being an elite squadron, they were in constant conflict with reglations due to Fury's unorthodox command style as well as their constant rivalry with McGiveney's Maulers, which caused the squad members to be thrown into the brig on many occasions.
They reunited for missions in the Korean War, where Fury received a field promotion to lieutenant, and the Vietnam War, as well as at a present-day reunion gala. Several members of the Howling Commandos have also gone on to spend various amounts of time as a member of Nick Fury's current organization SHIELD.
- Nick Fury
- Dum Dum Dugan
- Jim Morita
- Gabriel Jones killed in Secret Warriors #19.
- Rebel Ralston killed in Secret Avengers Vol. 2 #3.
- Isadore "Izzy" Cohen
- Dino Manelli mentioned as being dead in Secret Warriors #19
- Percival "Pinky" Pinkerton reported to have died in Secret Warriors #19.
- Eric Koenig killed in Secret Warriors #19.
- Jonathan "Junior" Juniper killed in Sgt Fury and his Howling Commandos #4
- Jerry Larkin killed in Sgt Fury and his Howling Commandos #63
- George Stonewell killed in Sgt Fury and his Howling Commandos #6.
- Duane Willson killed in Sgt Fury and his Howling Commandos #75
- Hans Klaus killed in Sgt Fury and his Howling Commandos #78
- Fred Jones
Equipment: Standard Military issue
Transportation: Military transport as needed
Weapons: Standard Military issue
- No special notes.
- No trivia.
- 27 Howling Commandos (WWII) (Earth-616) Members
- 177 Appearances of Howling Commandos (WWII) (Earth-616)
- Media Howling Commandos (WWII) (Earth-616) was Mentioned in
- 4 Images that include Howling Commandos (WWII) (Earth-616)
- Team Gallery: Howling Commandos (WWII) (Earth-616)
- Fan-Art Gallery: Howling Commandos (WWII) (Earth-616)
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 Sgt Fury and his Howling Commandos #1
- ↑ Sgt Fury and his Howling Commandos #2
- ↑ 3.0 3.1 Sgt Fury and his Howling Commandos #6
- ↑ Sgt Fury and his Howling Commandos #5
- ↑ Sgt Fury and his Howling Commandos #9
- ↑ Sgt Fury and his Howling Commandos #8
- ↑ Sgt Fury and his Howling Commandos #13
- ↑ Sgt Fury and his Howling Commandos #7
- ↑ Sgt Fury and his Howling Commandos #12