Not to be confused with the Imperial Guard of the Shi'ar Empire.
In the Earth-616 Universe, the Hobgoblin mantle has been passed to many individuals, though former fashion designer Roderick Kingsley is the original, longest running and possibly best-known Hobgoblin.
Other characters who used the Hobgoblin identity in the main Marvel universe during Roderick's numerous bouts of retirement include:
- Arnold "Lefty" Donovan, a small-time thug working for Roderick who had a very short, and fatal, tenure as the second Hobgoblin.
- Edward "Ned" Leeds, a Daily Bugle reporter who was brainwashed by Roderick to act as the third Hobgoblin and later killed.
- Jason Macendale, Jr., a mercenary who started his criminal career as the original Jack O'Lantern; he took on the mantle after Leeds' death, but was later killed by Roderick.
- An unnamed man in a new Hobgoblin costume that attacked Steven Rogers during the Secret War but failed to defeat him and was captured.
- Daniel Kingsley, Roderick's twin-brother who took his place with the original costume.
- Phillip "Phil" Urich, a mentally unstable hero-turned-villain who slaughtered Daniel Kingsley and operated as the Hobgoblin until he became the Goblin Knight.