- I'm Wyatt Wingfoot! I've come here from Indian Mission School of Tulsa!
Appearing in "The Startling Saga of the Silver Surfer!"Edit
- Fantastic Four
- House of Agon
- Ricardo Jones (First appearance) (not named)
- Coach Thorne , Metro University Football Coach (First appearance)
- Belle Thorne (First appearance)
- Whitey Mullins , Metro University Quarterback (First appearance)
- Dean Asher (First appearance)
- United States of America
Synopsis for "The Startling Saga of the Silver Surfer!"Edit
The Silver Surfer arrives to attack his former master, giving Johnny the time he needs to return from Galactus' ship out in deep space with the one weapon that can stop Galactus: The Ultimate Nullifier. When Reed threatens to use it against Galactus, he agrees to spare the Earth and leave if Reed gives him back the weapon. True to his word, Galactus leaves but not before using his great power to make it so the Surfer can never leave the Earth. After the battle, Alicia to thank the Silver Surfer for his help, causing the jealous Thing to think that she's choosing the Surfer over him and quietly walks away feeling nothing but rejection.
As life returns to normal, the press dismisses the Galactus fiasco as a hoax, while one man takes interest in news reports of the Thing roaming the city, and at Metro College the unreliable football star Whitey Mullins gives Coach Thorne a tongue lashing after being scolded for not being a team player. While at the Baxter Building, Sue storms out when Reed once again ignores her in favor of his experiments. While finally, Johnny arrives at his first day of college at Metro University. There he meets Wyatt Wingfoot and the two become fast friends, but as the two are meeting with the Dean, Johnny can't help but think about Crystal who is still now trapped in the Hidden Land behind Maximus' Negative Zone barrier.
- The portions of this story that pertain to Galactus are retold from a different perspective in Marvels #3.
- To date there is no known origin behind the Ultimate Nullifier. Although referenced and seen in many flashbacks and alternate reality tales, the Nullifier native to Earth-616 is not seen for many years until Fantastic Four #341.
- The Silver Surfer is exiled on Earth at the end of this story thanks to a barrier placed around the Earth by Galactus. The Silver Surfer basically remains trapped on Earth for many years, finally breaking free in Silver Surfer Vol 3 #1.
- Defeated here, Galactus is next seen in Thor #134 where a group of Rigellians and Thor narrowly avoid an encounter with the world devourer.
- The man interested in the Thing is a man named Ricardo Jones, as revealed in Web of Spider-Man #69.
- Wyatt Wingfoot is later identified as a member of the Keewazi people in Fantastic Four #80. The Keewazi are a band of Native Americans who reside in Oklahoma.
- The barrier placed around the homeland of the Inhumans was erected in Fantastic Four #48, it is not destroyed until Fantastic Four #59
- This issue is reprinted in Marvel Masterworks #25, Marvel Masterworks: Fantastic Four #5, 100 Greatest Marvels of All Time #1, Marvel Visionaries: Jack Kirby, Volume 1, Essential Fantastic Four, Volume 3, Marvel's Greatest Comics #35, the Silver Surfer: The Coming of Galactus trade paperback (first 13 pages only) and Fantastic Four (Fireside).
The Mail page contains a letter from a 14 year old fan named Gerard Conway. He will grow up to be better known as (amongst other things) Marvel Editor-in-Chief Gerry Conway.
Links and ReferencesEdit
- The Grand Comics Database: Fantastic Four Vol 1 
|Like this? Let us know!|