- I'm shallow ... all surface glitter and flash -- just like my stupid powers!
- -- Johnny Storm
Appearing in "...And Then There Was -- One!"Edit
- Bambi Arbogast (First appearance)
- Dum Dum Dugan
- Tony Stark
- Nova Corps
Synopsis for "...And Then There Was -- One!"Edit
Inside one of the Baxter Building's labs, Johnny looks over the stricken bodies of his teammates and blames himself for their imminent death. Realizing that there is just a slim chance that the effects of the Skrull aging ray can be reversed, he seeks help from Tony Stark, the Avengers, and finally S.H.I.E.L.D., but his efforts meet with no success. In desperation he contacts Queen Adora, who knows of no cure for the metabolic booster and has her hands full with Xandar's final push against the Skrull Empire.
As Johnny's hopes fade, he is attacked by Skrull X who had been hiding in the lab disguised as part of the machinery. Possessing the ability to duplicate the powers of the Fantastic Four simultaneously, the Skrull is worthy adversary for the Human Torch, and the two join battle before Johnny, his anger pushed to the limit, consumes the alien in a huge wall of flame, only to find that he has defeated not a Skrull but a robot!
Now in possession of the Skrull's metabolic booster, Johnny removes Reed from stasis in order to get his help to find a way of reversing its effects. The effort nearly kills Reed, and Johnny puts him back into his chamber before testing the weapon. As he laments his apparent failure, Johnny all but gives up hope, but he is soon surprised as Reed, Sue and Ben emerge from their stasis chambers restored to full health and the team ready to help mankind again.
- This is the first appearance of Stark's secretary Bambina Arbogast, her previous chronological appearance was in fourth story of Iron Man Annual #11 and she appears next in Iron Man #118.
- Jarvis makes his appearance here between Uncanny X-Men Annual #3 where he direct Arkon to the X-Men and Marvel Two-In-One #51
- As revealed in Original Sins #5 this is not the real Dum Dum Dugan, but a LMD replica created by Nick Fury after Dugan had died in a covert operation. The Dugan LMD appears here between Micronauts #12 and Marvel Two-In-One #51.
- Adora and Nova appear here following the events of Fantastic Four #209, they are next seen again in Rom #24.
- Skrull-X has been hiding out in the Baxter Building since he was briefly deactivated in Fantastic Four #205.
- Johnny reflects on all the various foes that the Fantastic Four fought over the years. Appearing in this montage are. All comments are in regards to their activities around the time of this publication:
- Hulk - The Fantastic Four first encountered the Hulk back in Fantastic Four #12. Most recently they clashed with the gamma spawned monster in Fantastic Four #166-167.
- Puppet Master - Who first fought the Fantastic Four in Fantastic Four #8. His last encounter with the group was in Fantastic Four #168-170 when he used Power Man as a pawn to destroy his foes.
- Sub-Mariner - Namor first battled the Fantastic Four back in Fantastic Four #4. Around the time of this story he was more of an ally than an enemy, last giving Sue work in Hollywood in Fantastic Four #195 during a period when the team was briefly disbanded.
- Super-Skrull - Super-Skrull has been a foe of the FF since Fantastic Four #18. He is currently contained in a soul catcher that is locked up within the Baxter Building at the time of this story, as seen in Marvel Team-Up #61.
- Skrulls - The Skrulls are one of the FF's earliest villains first battling them in Fantastic Four #2. They recently just clashed with the Fantastic Four in Fantastic Four #205-208.
- Mole Man - The FF's first foe back in Fantastic Four #1. He most recently clashed with the team in Fantastic Four Annual #13.
- Miracle Man - Miracle Man first fought the Fantastic Four in Fantastic Four #3. He more recently fought the Thing and Ghost Rider in Marvel Two-In-One #8.
- Doctor Doom - Doctor Doom has been the Fantastic Four's greatest foes since Fantastic Four #5. The group last clashed with him in Fantastic Four #196-200, which ended with Doom being put in a catatonic state.
- Rama-Tut - The FF encountered this time traveler in Fantastic Four #19. They have not fought him since. However some of the FF have since battled his future counterpart Kang the Conquerer. Most recently Johnny thwarted one of Kang's plans along with Spider-Man in Marvel Team-Up #10.
- Kurrgo - Kurrgo was defeated in Fantastic Four #7. He since tried to pit the Thing against the Hulk alongside the Leader in Marvel Feature #11.
- Mad Thinker - The Mad Thinker has been plaguing the Fantastic Four since Fantastic Four #15. More recently he last them in Marvel Fanfare #14 alongside Klaw.
- Red Ghost - The Red Ghost has antagonized the FF since Fantastic Four #13. He last clashed with Reed aboard a spaceship in Fantastic Four #197.
- Molecule Man - First clashed with the Fantastic Four in Fantastic Four #20. He more recently clashed with the group in Fantastic Four #187-188.
- Infant Terrible - Met the Fantastic Four in Fantastic Four #24. As of this story, the FF have not had further contact with the powerful alien.
- Diablo - Clashed with the Fantastic Four for the first time in Fantastic Four #30. Prior to this issue he last combated his foes in Fantastic Four #193-194.
- Gregory Gideon - This millionaire first matched his wits against the Fantastic Four in Fantastic Four #34. He died in his last battle against the group in Fantastic Four #134-Fantastic Four #135.
- Hate-Monger - This clone of Adolf Hitler fought and seemingly perished against the Fantastic Four in Fantastic Four #21. To date he has not fought the group since.
- Dragon Man - Created in Fantastic Four #35, the Dragon Man android last clashed with the Fantastic Four in Fantastic Four #134-135.
- Galactus - First encountered the Fantastic Four in Fantastic Four #49. He most recently helped them battle the Sphinx in Fantastic Four #211}-213.
- the Wizard, Trapster, and the Sandman, started off as foes of the Human Torch in Strange Tales #102, Strange Tales #104, and Strange Tales #115 respectively. They became 3/4ths of the Frightful Four in Fantastic Four #36. They most recently clashed with the Fantastic Four in Fantastic Four #176-178.
- Klaw - First fought the Fantastic Four in Fantastic Four #53. He last battled them in Marvel Fanfare #14 alongside the Mad Thinker.
- Blastaar - Blastaar first appeared in Fantastic Four #62. His last encounter with a member of the Fantastic Four was when he clashed with the Human Torch and the Hulk in Marvel Team-Up #18
- Kree Sentury 459 - The Kree Sentry first appeared in Fantastic Four #64. To date it has not clashed with the Fantastic Four since.
- Invincible Man - The Invincible Man was first adopted by the Super-Skrull in Fantastic Four #32. Doctor Doom recently forced Reed into using the identity in Fantastic Four #196.
- At the end of this story the eldest members of the Fantastic Four are made younger by the Skrull ray. This was likely an attempt to explain the passage of time as Marvel still tried to hold onto a "real time" universal model. Eventually this will become a moot point once the Sliding Timescale model begins being practiced.
- The Thing is next seen in Marvel Two-In-One #51 where he has a poker game with members of the Avengers.
- Johnny next appears with Ben as they have an odd encounter with two tourists named Norman Dunsell and Deena Jasper in Marvel Two-In-One #59.
- Shooter is credited as consulting editor.
- This issue features a letters page, Fantastic Four Fan Page. Letters are published from Matt Kaufman, Kurt Friedman, Renzo Buccella, Aron Kirschbaum, Jack Frost, and verde.
- As seen on page one, this issue is Story # LF612.
- This issue is reprinted in the comics and books, see references for more info.
- No trivia.
Links and ReferencesEdit
|Like this? Let us know!|
|It was a fun read, and seeing Johnny so grown up and determined was refreshing in comparison to how he is portrayed today. A classic, it also shows the older three members being 'de-aged' so they are younger than they were originally. To me, that means their history could remain intact concerning Reed and Ben fighting in World War II. All in all a fun story with great art (Did I mention Byrne?)and a happy ending.|