Ad blocker interference detected!
Wikia is a free-to-use site that makes money from advertising. We have a modified experience for viewers using ad blockers
Wikia is not accessible if you’ve made further modifications. Remove the custom ad blocker rule(s) and the page will load as expected.
Appearing in "The Monster in the Streets!"Edit
- Fantastic Four
- Monster in the Streets (First appearance)
- Phillip Zolten Rambow (First appearance)
- Reed Richard's Rocketship (Only in flashback)
Synopsis for "The Monster in the Streets!"Edit
While out getting a hot dog with Ben and Johnny, Crystal begins to feel dizzy and sick when suddenly there is an earthquake caused by a strange energy source. Johnny leaves with Crystal to see what Reed can learn about Crystal's sudden illness leaving Ben to tackle the problem alone.
Johnny arrives at the Baxter building with Crystal just as Reed comes up with a new way to change Ben back into his human form, he begins tests on Crystal as Ben returns. While elsewhere Sue is shopping when another earthquake strikes and she confronts a strange energy creature, she is met by Zolten Rambow who implores Sue to stop the creature, but not to destroy it because it is a living being.
Back at the Baxter building, Reed learns that the cause of Crystal's illness is due to the pollution in the rest of the world and to survive, Crystal must return to the Hidden Land, bidding farewell to the Reed, Ben and Johnny, Crystal is transported back home by Lockjaw.
After Johnny finds Sue trying to keep the monster contained, and she asks him to go get Reed to help. Returning back to the Baxter building, Johnny finds that Reed has already started the experiment to change Ben back to normal, and requires Reed's constant attention at risk of Ben's death. Reed now much choose between whose life to save: His best friend, or his wife.
- Members of the Fantastic Four are seen in other publications prior and after this issue:
- This story provides a brief recap of the origins of the Fantastic Four that was first seen in Fantastic Four #1. In this recounting Reed states that they were attempting to reach the moon in his rocket and states that it was the "first manned flight" there. This should be considered a topical reference per the Sliding Timescale of Earth-616. Future versions of this origin story are regularly updated to fit with whatever type of space travel would be considered fantastic or nearly impossible at the time of publication. Fantastic Four #236 states that the trip was to the edge of the solar system, while Fantastic Four #358 states that they were trying to reach another solar system.
- This is the first time the Inhumans are depicted as being vulnerable to long term exposure to pollution created by their human cousins. This eventually leads to the Inhumans having to relocate to the moon in Fantastic Four #240.
- Lockjaw was last seen in Amazing Adventures Vol 2 #2 when he teleported the Inhuman royal family to the Baxter Building when the group was tricked into thinking the FF had attacked them, all part of a plan by Maximus.
- Although it appears that both Crystal and Lockjaw return to Attilan here, it is revealed in Fantastic Four #117 they instead ended up in the a distant post-apocalyptic future where she is enslaved by Diablo who has been trapped there since Marvel Super-Heroes #20.
- Ben and Reed's experiment is seen again briefly in Doom 2099 #25 where Reed attempts to restore the Thing to human form again. The Thing briefly catches a glimpse of a battle between Doctor Doom and Doom 2099.
- The last time Reed changed the Thing back to human form was in Fantastic Four #78, however Ben gave up his cure in order to protect Alicia from the Android Man in Fantastic Four #79.
- This issue features a letters page, Fantastic Four Fan Page. Letters are published from Jennifer Crocker, Keith Metz, Arlene Lo, Van Hunt, and Feroy Creyton.
- As seen on page one, this issue is Story#434-Z.
- Does the Thing become human at last? Is the FF about to break up? And can anything save them from - the Monster in the Streets?
- No trivia.
Links and ReferencesEdit
|Like this? Let us know!|