The Mahd Wy'ry, also known as the "Secret Curse of the Eternals", the W'yry, the Wy'ry, the madness, 'Mah'd Wyr'y or 'Mah'd W'ry. It can be considered in human terms as a kind of senility.
Allegedly, the Eternals' experience was to crush them and render mad, as their immortals body weren't matched by their human-templated consciousnesses..
Once an Eternal is claimed by that disease, there is no way to cure it, the ancient laws and old dictates state that the madness must be prevented from spreading (making it seemingly contagious) and that the mad one must be eliminated by molecular discorporation (the "Rite of Cleansing"), causing the death of that Eternal.
The Uni-Mind is a merger of Eternals (and also other species).
For a human to break a Gann Josin is an astounding act.
Alternate Universe Eternals
Earth X (Earth-9997)
The past history of the Eternals of Earth-9997 mostly mirrors that of their Earth-616 counterparts. However, it's been revealed that, at least on Earth-9997 the Celestials intentions for the Eternals was not exactly the beneficent intent they had thought. The Celestials method of reproduction is to impregnate the planet with a portion of their energy (or embryo) and imbed Vibranium in the planets core. Eventually after centuries of gestation the a new Celestial would be born, destroying the planet. In order to protect the Celestial growing within the planet, they would manipulate the DNA of the dominant species to act as unknowing anti-bodies. On Earth, it would be pre-historic man that would be manipulated in such a fashion.
Their first attempt yielded the Deviants, unstable creatures who were born in new and more horrifying forms within each generation, they were naturally evil. In order to counteract these creatures they created the Eternals, god-like beings who were immortal and had fantastic powers. They would act as the shepherds of humanity and act as defenders against the Deviants and other invaders while baseline humanity went through the Celestials natural evolutionary course to gain super-powers. In the convening years, the Eternals (who were mistaken for the Gods of popular myth) grew disinterested in humanity and became reclusive, allowing the Deviants to take control over the Earth. This would prompt the Celestials to come again and free humanity from the Deviant rule, smashing their empire and sending them underground, a defeat that they would not recover from. In the modern age, the Celestials have interacted with humanity in much the same way they have on Earth-616. In recent history, the Eternals found it fit to leave the Earth for good, however their reasoning for doing so remains unrevealed. They would take up residence on an as yet unidentified planet. Their poor luck would have it to be yet another planet impregnated by the Celestials, and upon the Celestial birth on that world, the planet was destroyed. The Eternals would find themselves encased in Vibranium and left floating in space. As they are immortal they would survive this fate worse than death.
Their bodies would be found by the Inhuman Royal Family, who would believe that Vibranium was the cause of a catastrophe and decided to return to Earth to warn it's heroes. It would not be until years later when Cable (now consumed entirely by the Techno-Organic Virus and living below Sentinel City) would ask Iron Maiden (who had full control over Vibranium) to go into space and free the Eternals. This is because, one in particular Sersi, had the ability to use her powers to restore Cable to his original form. If Iron Maiden was successful remains to be revealed.
Powers and Abilities
- All Eternals can join the Uni-Mind.
- All possess psionic abilities to varying degrees.
- All possess enhanced strength to varying degrees.
- All Eternals are extremely long-lived, and even virtually immortals.
- All Eternals can project cosmic energy from their hands and eyes.
- Eternals choose to specialize in particular powers and attributes.
Average Strength level
Habitat: Earth standard
Gravity: Earth standard
Atmosphere: Earth standard
Population: About 1000
Type of Government: Mentor leads the Titan colony; The Prime Eternal leads the Eternals of Earth from Olympia.
Level of Technology: Highly Advanced
Representatives: Ajak, Kingo Sunen, Kronos (Chronos), Legba, Makkari, Mentor (A'Lars), Phastos, Pixie, Sersi, Sui-San, Sprite, Starfox (Eros), Thanos, Thena, Uranos, Valkin, El Vampiro, Zuras, among many others.
- The age of many Eternals was shacken by Eternals Vol 3, but later restored:
- According to  Zuras, Sprite and Ikaris were among the first (transformed by the Celestials), and Thena, Ajak, Druig, Sersi were active at least before the Second Host.
- In Thor & Hercules: Encyclopaedia Mythologica #1, Ikaris and Makkari's were stated to be respectivelly 20,000 and 3,000 B.C., opposing to their status of first Eternals.
- In Eternals Annual Vol 4 #1, it was stated that Thena was one million years, the age of the Eternals, and that she was active at an unknown point of the Pleistocene. -->
- No trivia.
- Discuss Eternals (Homo immortalis) on the forums
- Appearances of Eternals (Homo immortalis)
- Minor Appearances of Eternals (Homo immortalis)
- Media Eternals (Homo immortalis) was Mentioned in
- Race Gallery: Eternals (Homo immortalis)
- Images of Eternals (Homo immortalis)
Links and References
- ↑ Eternals Vol 3 #7
- ↑ 2.0 2.1 Thor & Hercules: Encyclopaedia Mythologica #1
- ↑ Captain Marvel #29
- ↑ Incredible Hercules #119
- ↑ Incredible Hercules #120
- ↑ 6.0 6.1 Official Handbook of the Marvel Universe #10; Starfox's entry
- ↑ 7.0 7.1 Annihilation: Nova Corps Files #1
- ↑ Captain Marvel #27
- ↑ Quasar #2
- ↑ 10.0 10.1 What If? #23
- ↑ Marvel Fact Files #8
- ↑ Marvel Universe #7
- ↑ What If? #25
- ↑ Eternals Annual Vol 4 #1
- ↑ 15.0 15.1 All-New Official Handbook of the Marvel Universe #11
- ↑ 16.0 16.1 Thanos Vol 2 #13; Marvel Legacy
- ↑ 17.00 17.01 17.02 17.03 17.04 17.05 17.06 17.07 17.08 17.09 17.10 Avengers #361
- ↑ 18.0 18.1 18.2 18.3 Avengers #374
- ↑ 19.0 19.1 Avengers #375
- ↑ 20.0 20.1 Avengers #371
- ↑ Eternals Vol 3 #1