Earth-148611, also known as The World Outside Your Window and best known as 'New Universe', was an experiment during the Jim Shooter-era of Marvel Comics (1986). Eight new titles were launched in a different reality where life had always been relatively "normal." That is until a White Event--a flash of light in the sky--started creating paranormals.
The original New Universe titles included:
- Mark Hazzard: Merc (also called Merc)
- Kickers Inc.
- Spitfire and the Troubleshooters (also called Codename:Spitfire)
- Star Brand
Sales were sluggish and the first four were canceled after their initial year. From that point on, the remaining New Universe titles were taken in a radically new direction following the Black Event, which resulted in the complete destruction of Pittsburgh. The Black Event and its effects were depicted in two one-shots and a four-part limited series:
The New Universe crossed paths with Earth-616 in the Starblast event in the pages of Quasar. In it, Quasar travels to, then becomes stuck in, the New Universe. He convinces the bearer of the Star Brand to give him its power so he can get home. Afterward, Quasar believes he has exhausted its power, when he in fact accidentally transferred it to his girlfriend, Kayla Ballantine.
- Quasar, issues 31-53
At the culmination of Starblast, the Stranger actually transports the Entire Earth of the New Universe from its reality, placing it in orbit around his labworld. The Living Tribunal declares the Star Brand to be a threat to all existing powers of the Universe, and seals it off so that it can never again be interacted with. While the remainder of Universe-148611 presumably remains in place, Earth-148611 is left in isolation orbiting the Stranger's Labworld in Universe-616.
- Quasar, issues 54-58, 60
- Fantastic Four, issues 385-386
- Namor the Sub-Mariner, issues 46-48
- Secret Defenders, issue 11
- Starblast, issues 1-4
In 2006, the universe was revisited with a series of one-shots and short stories collectively called Untold Tales of the New Universe, which take place prior to the Black Event. These stories included:
- Untold Tales of the New Universe: Kickers, Inc., a short story in New Avengers Vol. 1 No. 16 (February 2006)
- Untold Tales of the New Universe: Star Brand
- Untold Tales of the New Universe: Nightmask
- Untold Tales of the New Universe: Marc Hazzard: Merc, a short story in Amazing Fantasy No. 18 (February 2006)
- Untold Tales of the New Universe: Justice
- Untold Tales of the New Universe: DP7
- Untold Tales of the New Universe: Spitfire, a short story in Amazing Fantasy No. 19 (March 2006)
- Untold Tales of the New Universe: Psi-Force
- Proteus' entry in the All New Official Handbook of the Marvel Universe confirms that Proteus arrived in the original New Universe (Earth-148611), but that his actions caused it to diverge into Earth-15731. The original Exiles comics only cite Earth-15731.
- Unlike Earth-616, Earth-148611 does not operate on a Sliding Timescale that slows the passage of time. The intention of this was that Earth-148611 operated in "real time", however since Quasar of Earth-616 visited this universe during Quasar #31's "present day" (identified as 1992) being a match to the "present day" on Earth-616 should be considered a topical reference per the Sliding Timescale of Earth-616. Per the Sliding Timescale the modern age of Earth-616 was in "Year Eight". As of 2017 the Modern Age is now on "Year Fourteen". If the real world calendar year is 2017, this year on Earth-616 for this story would be 2011 and the year on Earth-148611 would still be 1992. When the Sliding Timescale inches into "Year Fifteen" in 2018, this story will have taken place in the year 2012 and the year on Earth-148611 would still be 1992).
- Characters from Earth-148611
- Other things related to Earth-148611
- Earth-148611's Appearances
- Earth-148611's Minor Appearances
- Media Earth-148611 was Mentioned in
- Images from Earth-148611
- Reality Gallery: Earth-148611
- Nuke Me With New!, Lee K. Seitz's fansite guide to the New Universe.