The Life Foundation
Little has been revealed about Diego's early life. Donna had a history of psychotic episodes, but despite this she passed a background check and became a security guard for the Life Foundation. As part of their program to create a super-powered security force, the Life Foundation scientists kidnapped Venom. They removed his symbiote's "seeds," hatched them and merged the resulting creatures with five of their most skilled and trusted employees. One of those employees was Donna.
While testing her new powers, Diego attacked a mall in Salinas, California. She encountered Spider-Man, who was looking for Eddie Brock and fled back to the Life Foundation's base in the Mojave Desert. Spider-Man stowed away on her hovercraft and released Brock. Diego and the other new symbiotes lost the resulting battle, and they apparently died from accelerated aging when Brock used a metabolic accelerator on them. Her symbiote was turned into dust and her body caught in a massive explosion.
It was later revealed that Scream and the other symbiotes had survived due to efforts by the Life Foundation. Shortly afterward though, Donna left with Lasher, Phage, Agony and Riot to find Eddie Brock in New York. They had trouble coexisting with their immature symbiotes and hoped that Brock would work with them so as to teach them control. Brock refused and then disappeared. Diego asked the Scarlet Spider for help in finding Brock. When he also refused, Diego had a psychotic episode and went wild in Times Square. She succeeded in drawing the attention of Brock and Reilly. Brock fought with Diego, and only the intervention of Reilly saved her.
The other "guardian" symbiotes joined Diego in her next attempt to get Brock's help. They freed Brock, who had lost his symbiote and gone to jail, and took him to Chicago. He managed to escape. Diego, whose schizophrenia gave her symbiote a powerful psychic weapon, killed Gesneria, Mach, Cole, and Hernandez one by one and blamed Brock for the murders. Brock reunited with Venom before Diego could kill him as well and defeated her.
Reform & the Xenophage
Diego somehow gained a measure of control over her symbiote, or at least reached a modus vivendi with it. To make up for her past behavior, she began seeking out other symbiotes and helping their human hosts to cope. She soon learned of an alien called Xenophage that preyed on symbiotes. With Brock's help she defeated it.
When Eddie Brock started his hunt for symbiotes, he killed Donna after Hybrid. Brock lead Scream to a trap, where using a sonic emiter, paralyzed her, and stabbed her in the head many times with a heated dagger.
- Yellow Symbiotic Costume: Scream possesses all the powers and abilities the original Venom symbiote had, including a few abilities unique to herself. While at first Donna could not properly control her "other," Scream eventually began using more advanced powers granted by the symbiote, including camouflage and limited shapeshifting. Her full range of powers consisted of:
- Superhuman Strength
- Superhuman Durability
- Superhuman Stamina
- Accelerated Healing Factor
- ESP (Spider-Sense)
- Immunity to Spider-Man's Spider Sense
- Webbing Generation
- Camouflage Capabilities
- Constituent-Matter Generation
- Constituent-Matter Manipulation (Hair): An ability unique to Donna's symbiote, Scream can extend her hair-like tendrils to lash at or encircle her foes.
- Limited Mental Projection/Sound Manipulation (Sonic Knife): When Donna decided to vanquish all symbiotes and symbiote hosts because they were evil, her schizophrenia somehow crossed with her powers and manifested in the form of a Sonic Knife. With it she slayed her former companions, due to the intense frequencies of sound enveloping the blade being a weakness of the aliens. The knife is eventually destroyed by Venom.
- Security Training: With her background as a security guard, Diego presumably has training in hand-to-hand combat, firearms, various hand weapons, and tactics. She was also able to defeat each of her symbiotic siblings in sequence despite their similar strength and power (albeit using a sonic knife.)
With the symbiote, Diego has superhuman strength, allowing her to lift (press) approximately 35 tons. Without the symbiote, she has regular human strength.
- Unstable Mentality: Diego has a history of psychotic episodes.
- The only name initially given to this character in the comics was Donna. The name Scream comes from the video-game Spider-Man & Venom: Separation Anxiety, where she is one of the boss characters. The name Diego appears only in the appendix of Civil War: Battle Damage Report (March 2007), confirming her identity as Scream, aka Donna Diego.
- Scream appears as a villain in the ride "The Amazing Adventures of Spider-Man" at Islands of Adventure, Universal Resort theme park, Orlando, Florida.
- Toy Biz produced a Scream action figure in 1996.
- 23 Appearances of Donna Diego (Earth-616)
- 3 Minor Appearances of Donna Diego (Earth-616)
- Media Donna Diego (Earth-616) was Mentioned in
- 18 Images featuring Donna Diego (Earth-616)
- 4 Quotations by or about Donna Diego (Earth-616)
- Character Gallery: Donna Diego (Earth-616)
- a Scream profile
- another Scream profile
Discover and Discuss
- Search this site for:
|Like this? Let us know!|